Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

3 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Although they would improve us slightly I really can’t get excited about signing 2 Brentford players. It feels like stop gap signings to the actual quality we want to be signing. Maybe another year staying in the league is what we need to get the next level of players.

Don't worry, you will be once you see Benrahma play for us.

Praying to god we will get him!  

2 minutes ago, Daweii said:

We can't and management should have been prepared for this.

You can't sell the Villa dream to 20-25 year olds many of which are already playing with great players, with dreams of Champions League and no recollection of the last time Villa did anything great.

We can talk up our ambition all we want, but that 24 year old star will be nodding along barely listening because their agent told them we last won a trophy in 1996. 

The only way Villa realistically sign high calibre players is by paying them. We will likely only entice some of our better targets by dropping a £100k-150k per week on them.

Agreed. We have to start paying bigger wages if we're going to attract serious quality.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Don't worry, you will be once you see Benrahma play for us.

Praying to god we will get him!  

He'd be the better of the two and reckon he'd be more likely to make the step up, but still a bit of a risk for what Brentford want. Think Sarr or Deulofeu (or both) would be better for us. 

50 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

I think everyone, myself included is worried that we can't sell the Villa dream to high calibre players

It's a hard sell for a team that ended in our position. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Agreed. We have to start paying bigger wages if we're going to attract serious quality.

This is something i've mentioned a few times now only for others to say things like patience or it will upset other players within the squad.

But Villa have stood still for too long on this.

To be in-line with other teams we have to...who is our top-earner? Anyone know?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamieZ said:

As an American who has followed his career from the beginning, McKennie to Juventus would be an eyebrow raiser to say the least.

If you’ve followed McKennie closely from the beginning, then this move isn’t actually an eyebrow-raiser. I’m not suggesting that he’ll take Serie A by storm or necessarily start regularly. But he is well up to the standard.

1 hour ago, JamieZ said:

As an American who has followed his career from the beginning, McKennie to Juventus would be an eyebrow raiser to say the least.

If you’ve followed McKennie closely from the beginning, then this move isn’t actually an eyebrow-raiser. I’m not suggesting that he’ll take Serie A by storm or necessarily start regularly. But he is well up to the standard.

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

I know its frustrating at the moment but I don't think there is any need for concern at this stage.

Not a lot is happening in the market (Chelsea aside) and I suspect there is a bit of a disconnect between the way clubs are valuing players (pre-COVID) to how buying clubs are valuing them at the moment.

I also think its reasonable to conclude given Smith's comments re meeting with Lange that our actions may have been delayed a little by that appointment.

What we've seen though this summer and in fairness throughout our current owners tenure is efficiency, a willingness to invest and a desire to improve. Those have been consistent traits of this era, even this summer in the absence of first team arrivals we've seen this in effect.

So as much as I'd have loved us to have 2 or 3 players in by now and as much as I though we would have done I'm not concerned, frustrated yes but not worried.

There is a clear desire to add quality, there is seemingly the financial means to do so and we will no doubt make additions very soon.

It is logical though if we are trying to sign less players and of a higher quality than last summer the deals will be harder to do, likely more time consuming and certainly less frequent.

Plenty of time left in the window yet and lots more absolute tripe to be written by journo's who know nothing about what is going on. 

I get the impression that we are not prepared to overspend anymore and that we are sticking to our valuation of players compared to for example under MON (or under Dr Fraud) where we overpaid but got the players we wanted.

While I think that approach makes sense, it probably also means we will lose out on targets, if reports are correct we wouldn't pay the extra millions for Benrahma and Webster last summer. In hindsight it would perhaps have been better to pay some extra at that time. If we continue that approach there may be a risk of us in the long run never getting our primary targets. If we have identified one or two players we really want I would like us to go all out to get them, even it it menas overpaying. Perhaps we will do that and are prepared to do that but I get the impression by Purslow that we don't want to be messed about and are sticking to our principles and valuations. 

19 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I think bringing in Shakespeare will be our most important aquisition this summer anyway.

Hopefully we wont have to play him as a striker when we dont sign anybody/nobody wants to come to villa

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

He'd be the better of the two and reckon he'd be more likely to make the step up, but still a bit of a risk for what Brentford want. Think Sarr or Deulofeu (or both) would be better for us. 

I'd like us to raid Watford as well, would like a triple raid to get Hughes, Deulofeu and Dawson. Would love Sarr as well, but I think he would be too expensive and not enough value for money right now if the quted £40M+ is correct.

1 hour ago, LockStockVilla said:

This US based guy has been tweeting a bit about McKennie and also seems to believe Juventus is a done deal. 

https://twitter.com/RGonzalezCBS/status/1298601179757371396?s=20

edit: I'm a n00b and can't get the link working

Come on Edens, have one of your daughters to call him up and convince him to join us instead. Video call preferrably.

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

Aston Villa have been linked with a stunning move for Juventus forward Gonzalo Higuain.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-linked-stunning-move-18829384.amp

Private flight this evening from Turin to BHX, 2 passengers

it's happening ron paul GIF

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I have been, and still am crying out patience from everyone.

However, I have to admit that the thought of "Deano doesn't have the pulling power of some other Premier League managers" has definitely crossed my mind.

Ditto ... Not a slight against him but who would you rather play under if you had a choice Bielsa, the RB Leipzig coach or Dean Smith ?