Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Don't believe that link, Juve have loads of midfielders and not sure McKennie is of that quality given likes of Rabiot and Ramsey were largely bench warmers this season.

He'll end up somewhere in the prem.

Edit; Just seen multiple sources are reporting this so looks like I'm wrong.

Juventus midfield is an absolute mess, its the reason they struggled this season and Arthur needs some help

• Like 1

Yeah, so the McKennie to Juventus thing seems a bit out of left field to me. I'm not saying it can't or won't happen, just that something doesn't seem quite right about it. Based on no evidence either way, so take it with a pinch of salt.

Juve will be going through a bit of a revamp, for sure, and maybe McKennie is exactly what they're looking for. They're a team loaded with quality players, but lacking a bit of je ne sais quoi. Maybe McKennie has that. Pirlo will want to put his stamp on the team and he has experience in MLS, of course, but no connection to McKennie, who has only played senior minutes in the Bundesliga. And not to assume that a manager will inevitably want to mold a team in his own image, but McKennie and Pirlo couldn't be more different. McKennie has remarkable attributes, but he's no regista. On one hand, Serie A would offer McKennie an opportunity to develop his weaker attributes (tactical nous and discipline), but the Premier League seems like a better match for the attributes he already has in spades (Jerry Bruckheimer action).

As an American who has followed his career from the beginning, McKennie to Juventus would be an eyebrow raiser to say the least.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Juventus midfield is an absolute mess, its the reason they struggled this season and Arthur needs some help

By all accounts Pirlo has given the dressing room a right kick up the arse, seems like he wants to make a lot of changes up there.

2 minutes ago, JamieZ said:

Yeah, so the McKennie to Juventus thing seems a bit out of left field to me. I'm not saying it can't or won't happen, just that something doesn't seem quite right about it. Based on no evidence either way, so take it with a pinch of salt.

Juve will be going through a bit of a revamp, for sure, and maybe McKennie is exactly what they're looking for. They're a team loaded with quality players, but lacking a bit of je ne sais quoi. Maybe McKennie has that. Pirlo will want to put his stamp on the team and he has experience in MLS, of course, but no connection to McKennie, who has only played senior minutes in the Bundesliga. And not to assume that a manager will inevitably want to mold a team in his own image, but McKennie and Pirlo couldn't be more different. McKennie has remarkable attributes, but he's no regista. On one hand, Serie A would offer McKennie an opportunity to develop his weaker attributes (tactical nous and discipline), but the Premier League seems like a better match for the attributes he already has in spades (Jerry Bruckheimer action).

As an American who has followed his career from the beginning, McKennie to Juventus would be an eyebrow raiser to say the least.

He's no Pirlo but I'd imagine the importance of players like McKennie is not lost on Pirlo in order to let the Regista thrive.

5 minutes ago, JamieZ said:

In normal circumstances I think he's one Juve would flip e.g. sign him for a low fee, he sort of plays a few games but largely bench warms and then they loan him to a prem club where he does well and they eventually sell for 20m + so big profit.

The bit about loaning him in first for the season isn't making sense to me considering I'm sure Schalke would welcome 20m + this season.

Edit: Juve can apparently buy him outright for 15m next summer so there is folks once again the premier league tax coming into play.

Edited by VillaChris

24 minutes ago, sne said:

McKennie is someone I was excited for us to sign, shame if we miss out.

Pirlo is cleaning house at Juve and is getting younger players with more mobility (and lower wages) in McKennie fits that bill. Just like Kulusevski does.

The likes of Khedira, Ramsey, (Rabiot) Higuain will be shipped out if someone can cover their wages. Matuidi has already been moved on.

Edit: Swapping Pjanic for Arthur in another example of this although he is more of a playmaker.

Yea but we could have had him!

8 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

It’s very odd that Schalke would accept a loan. Juve may not pony up. 

Maybe they send Sami Khedira the other way and cover his wages?

McKennie now a no... Karol Linetty though different types of player is someone I feel would offer a better rotation option to McGinn and hope we go in for him... Also How has Bentaleb been since leaving Spuds and should he be considered an option ?  

43 minutes ago, JamieZ said:

Theory - We're not in for McKennie any more because, after being left out by Southgate, Jack has said he will only stay if he gets to play centrally so we'll be spunking on two wingers and a CF instead.🧐

And if we do get an extra body in midfield it'll be a cheaper back up.

Edited by rubberman

2 minutes ago, thabucks said:

McKennie now a no... Karol Linetty though different types of player is someone I feel would offer a better rotation option to McGinn and hope we go in for him... Also How has Bentaleb been since leaving Spuds and should he be considered an option ?  

didnt pull up many trees at Newcastle

Although they would improve us slightly I really can’t get excited about signing 2 Brentford players. It feels like stop gap signings to the actual quality we want to be signing. Maybe another year staying in the league is what we need to get the next level of players.

• Like 1