Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

I wonder if Liverpool will sell Xherdan Shaqiri, read a report that they will have to sell first before they buy and will have to trim down the squad. I bet his wages are astronomical but would love him here, good solid premier league experience, would be a statement signing. Only 28 too.

Edited by supermon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, supermon said:

I wonder if Liverpool will sell Xherdan Shaqiri, read a report that they will have to sell first before they buy and will have to trim down the squad. I bet his wages are astronomical but would love him here, good solid premier league experience, would be a statement signing. Only 28 too.

Only? No significant sell on value because of his age and what exactly is he going to bring to the team that we need to prioritise his position and him this summer?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Only? No significant sell on value because of his age and what exactly is he going to bring to the team that we need to prioritise his position and him this summer?

Well he has premier League experience and can play across the middle which I thought were priority positions. 

I don't think it's absolutely necessary for every single recruit to have a sell on value, João Moutinho for Wolves as an example of someone who brings immense experience to the team. It doesn't have to be Shaqiri but I do want at least one more established recruit to help us as I feel we need a calming influence on the pitch whenever we take a lead and then capitulate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure Shaqiri is all that he promises. Would be ok as an impact sub due to his speed, he offers something, but his wages would be high and I only see him as a reserve. 

I’ve watched him closely since going to Liverpool and I thought his final ball and decision making has been poor.

31 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Not sure if serious? Can play on either wing very very well. Our two weakest positions. Also can play through the middle.

Whether he is rated or not, you will struggle to find a player who positionally suited to our weaknesses imho.

• Like 1

Another point on Wes IF the rumours are right about Lazio’s interest and separately that we maybe after a CB

Obviously as a club we’d prefer hard £££ but how about a swap + £ for their Slovakia CB Denis Vavro (who hasn’t settled at Lazio).

Lange will know all about him having signed him and them sold him on whilst at FC Copenhagen. Apparently made his name as a ball playing CB, good age, right height for a CB.

Could be a doubly good deal, get Wes off the wages and get a good CB that fits Smith’s way of playing.

23 minutes ago, rayk said:

Another point on Wes IF the rumours are right about Lazio’s interest and separately that we maybe after a CB

Obviously as a club we’d prefer hard £££ but how about a swap + £ for their Slovakia CB Denis Vavro (who hasn’t settled at Lazio).

Lange will know all about him having signed him and them sold him on whilst at FC Copenhagen. Apparently made his name as a ball playing CB, good age, right height for a CB.

Could be a doubly good deal, get Wes off the wages and get a good CB that fits Smith’s way of playing.

Vavro sounds like a decent CB option, although I know nothing about him to be honest, but surely we can look at that in isolation without selling Wesley. Unless the medical/fitness staff don’t think he will recover properly from his injury, I can’t see any great rush to get him off the books, especially at a huge loss.  Now if they fancy Hogan........

• Haha 1

What if Smith has been on holiday for the last two weeks? And we were never going to buy any players while he was away - all our speculation has been futile! 

He has to have a holiday sometime. It seems he was pretty busy during lockdown coaching the players etc. Plus his father died. Post lockdown was very intense.The man needs a break. 

In fact I think this is true of lots of the premier league which is why the transfer market is pretty quiet.

I also wonder if clubs are waiting to see what the Covid effect is on transfer fees. Some of the clubs must be in financial trouble. Will there be some fire sales which bring down fees for the whole market or just a few isolated players?

The uncertainty is stopping some clubs from being active. Arsenal have announced 55 redundancies, Liverpool stopped their pursuit of Timo Werner as a result of their uncertainty.

The two clubs who have been most active have been Chelsea and Man City for whom basic economics with the relaxation of FFP don’t seem to apply as they are funded by a sugar daddy. The question is are Villa in the same position? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

Nowadays it seems you need a first in degree level Mathematics, advanced Economics and some basic understanding of brain surgery.

Is it just me who glazes over all these charts?! When did football get so... Boring?! Has he got a good haircut, does he wear flashy boots and what does his girlfriend look like?! That's what we really want to know.

Problem with VT, it’s all Voodoo Economics now!  Anyone?

high school GIF

• Like 1

Shaqiri would believe he is too good for us and would demand too high a wages. 

There is no way he will ever be a Villa player.

This makes me happy 😌

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 3

If the Purslow buying model of young with resale value is getting chinned off, I’d like Idrissa back, please. 

A midfield three of Luiz - IG - SJM looks very solid. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Awol said:

If the Purslow buying model of young with resale value is getting chinned off, I’d like Idrissa back, please. 

A midfield three of Luiz - IG - SJM looks very solid. 

I can’t see us changing course or not at least when it comes to paying decent money for people. 

8 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

State of anyone not taking Hogan/Wilson swap.  Wilson could walk in here, grab a singular goal and immediately retire and that'd still be a vast upgrade on Hogan.

If Hogan is going to be part of our playing squad next season then yeah, Wilson would be an upgrade, but I don't think people see him that way as he's been shit and out on loan for ages. I see him as someone who we're just waiting to get off the books (but like Gardner last year). 

Could Wilson get some goals for us, of course, but I suspect he'd want to be our main striker and signing a 28 Yr old with injury problems, who only scored 8+ goals once in the last 4 seasons and would presumably want an upgrade on his £60,000 a week wages and a 4 year deal sounds like a gamble to me. 

Wilson would definitely improve our overall squad but I think it depends who else we sign and if he'd be a squad player or our starting striker. I wouldn't be upset if the swap went through (depending how much £ we add) but I wouldn't be excited. I think it's a bit like the Gardner/Jota deal last year.

• Like 3

I think people will be surprised by the size of the fee we have to put towards Wilson. 

What is Hogan worth £5m at best? 

I guess with the high wages thing at least that would be partially offset by moving on Hogan. I’d imagine he’s on a pretty penny given the fee we paid for him. 

I like Wilson, he’s got a lot of admirable assets to his game. 

Edited by villaglint

4 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I can’t see us changing course or not at least when it comes to paying decent money for people. 

I don’t think we should either, was only responding to the Shaqiri suggestion. 

We do need a DCM this summer, wouldn’t be surprised if that involves another go at getting Santamaria in -believe he was second choice behind Phillips last year - or a new first choice target. 

Just now, Awol said:

I don’t think we should either, was only responding to the Shaqiri suggestion. 

We do need a DCM this summer, wouldn’t be surprised if that involves another go at getting Santamaria in -believe he was second choice behind Phillips last year - or a new first choice target. 

Zero chance or real logic to the Shapiri suggestion in my view.

I agree re DCM, I think Nakamba was 3rd choice at best.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I think people will be surprised by the size of the fee we have to put towards Wilson. 

What is Hogan worth £5m at best? 

I guess with the high wages thing at least that would be partially offset by moving on Hogan. I’d imagine he’s on a pretty penny given the fee we paid for him. 

I like Wilson, he’s got a lot of admirable assets to his game. 

Sure but so has Keinan, what neither does is score lots of goals.