Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

25 minutes ago, useless said:

Callum Wilson has scored 41 premier league goals in 106 games worth of premier league football in terms of minutes on the pitch, he's also provided an assist sixteen times in that period as well. There's a reason why he's been linked to the likes of Chelsea, Spurs and Man Utd and that's because he's a very good player, him not being as good as usual last season is probably the only thing that might give us a chance of signing him.

He’s been playing in the PL for a good few years now and tends to score 6-8 per season. He’s a perfectly good player but a return like that would have people on here absolutely slamming him. The fact his stats have been damaged by lots of time out injured is also not a positive.

I think he’s a good player but we would be signing a 10-goal striker even if he stayed fit - again, totally fine if we know what we are buying and it fits the plan. 

He was linked to those teams off the back of one good season in 2018/19. If you think that he can regularly produce what he did that season then yes, would be a great signing, but the evidence suggests otherwise. You say he was not ‘as good as usual’ last season but actually that was pretty much exactly ‘usual’...

Edited by Adam2003

Before this season Ings hadn't scored more than 11 goals in a premier league season, Jiménez before joining Wolves hadn't scored more than 7 league goals in a season, but these statistics are misleading because they both had excellent goals to minutes ratios, which is also the case for Callum Wilson.

11 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

He’s been playing in the PL for a good few years now and tends to score 6-8 per season. He’s a perfectly good player but a return like that would have people on here absolutely slamming him. The fact his stats have been damaged by lots of time out injured is also not a positive.

I think he’s a good player but we would be signing a 10-goal striker even if he stayed fit - again, totally fine if we know what we are buying and it fits the plan. 

He was linked to those teams off the back of one good season in 2018/19. If you think that he can regularly produce what he did that season then yes, would be a great signing, but the evidence suggests otherwise. You say he was not ‘as good as usual’ last season but actually that was pretty much exactly ‘usual’...

He wouldn’t be a disaster signing, but Wesley was on course for a 10 goal season and apparently he is crap?

5 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

He wouldn’t be a disaster signing, but Wesley was on course for a 10 goal season and apparently he is crap?

I mean I think Wilson would be a good player for us, but I also think Wesley will turn into a good striker for us, so I’m the wrong person for the discussion I think. I think anyone scoring 10+ in the league these days is a pretty good player. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I mean I think Wilson would be a good player for us, but I also think Wesley will turn into a good striker for us, so I’m the wrong person for the discussion I think. I think anyone scoring 10+ in the league these days is a pretty good player. 

I agree with you , just making a point that most people want wilson here yet were slating Wesley all season

• Like 1

1 hour ago, colhint said:

No I said that's what I think our aim is this year.

3 hours ago, colhint said:

Similarly center back  with Mings Konsa House and  Engels, Perhaps one to be an upgrade on the latter two, I think that would get us mid table...

?

12 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

I agree with you , just making a point that most people want wilson here yet were slating Wesley all season

It’s more a few people over and over than most people I think - same as Douglas Luiz earlier in the season, if you go back through the thread most could see the potential. The current trend in football is to take a position and stick to it rigidly and that translates onto here a bit sometimes. I think Wesley will be a decent squad member next season and I’m curious to see what Samatta does, so I think we are looking at one more striker - whether it’s Wilson or someone else...

Edited by Adam2003
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

He's scored a good number of goals in other euro leagues, 9 for Monaco up to early March last season. Just didn't work out for him at Leicester, same for Kramaric and that Musa guy they signed at the same time. Suspect Leicester will sell him for a couple of million to another euro team anyway.

He was pretty good for us in the season he signed, but after that it started to come out that he had a bit of an attitude problem in the dressing room and was quite disruptive and moaned a lot

He was doing well at Monaco but then they got a new manager in who preferred to use Ben Yedder rather than Slimani, 1 year left on his contract so I imagine he will be probably be sold this summer, probably no more than £5m, mostly just to get his wages off the bill as he earns £80k a week

Kramaric just never got a chance with us really and a lot of Leicester fans think that it is one of the transfers we really messed up by letting him go so soon and Musa was unbelievably quick but had the footballing ability of a semi pro

Any striker we have had have all had the same problem, they just aren't as good as Vardy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Condimentalist said:

Wilson would be a disaster. He's only once hit more than 8 in the league, is always injured, and would expect a big pay day. We've been here too many times before. 

Yep, he's just Danny Ings Mk2.............. Oh wait. 

23 minutes ago, Spyro Tek said:

?

So how many teams in the bottom half have better, bearing in mind I said possibly an upgrade on the last two? Do you think Brighton, Newcastle, Palace etc currently have a better 4th choice than Engels?

Would have no issues with us giving Bournemouth a bit of cash and Hogan for Wilson. Instant improvement.

I kinda wanted us to go big this summer and bring in 3 or 4 "big" name players to walk straight into our first 11. But judging by the rumours so far, it seems that won't be the case. Though, we need to remember where we are as a club, we only just about got promoted last season, we only just about survived this season. Maybe we need to prove ourselves at this level before we can sign the type of players I want us to.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Would have no issues with us giving Bournemouth a bit of cash and Hogan for Wilson. Instant improvement.

I kinda wanted us to go big this summer and bring in 3 or 4 "big" name players to walk straight into our first 11. But judging by the rumours so far, it seems that won't be the case. Though, we need to remember where we are as a club, we only just about got promoted last season, we only just about survived this season. Maybe we need to prove ourselves at this level before we can sign the type of players I want us to.

Well the thing to understand here is that all these links are from various media outlets - so that's where the media see us at the moment, making up links to players who they think we can get.

In reality since the new owners have come in they (the media) have no idea who we are signing as was proven last summer. 

Just have to be patient and ignore these rumours, put your feet up and watch some cricket

Although I don't really want us to sign Wilson, at least he seems like the sort of player who won't just come here for one last big payday. Maybe him and Watkins would make a big difference to our strikerforce.

The goal return of Wilson isn't amazing but, as others have mentioned, who would've thought Ings would have done what he has done this season.

If it were something like £10m plus Hogan that might be ok.

Maybe we are looking to spend £50m on Wilson, Watkins and Benrahma. Leaving us with another £50m for DM, maybe another winger and a LB. Although it would be nice if we spend closer to what we did last summer and bring in a top CB.

2 hours ago, rayk said:

Crikey, a bit to post so bear with me fellas.

The unlikely rumour re Wes. The usual gag is .....‘I’ll get the taxi’ but these days to Italy and the airlines that could be deep pockets.“

Obviously,  if a bid came in then magic, even with a small haircut. Same for Samatta.

Jack is AM. Benny is in on the left wing so we need RW and unless I’ve been really stupid over the last 48 hours it’s Beundia for me. There are others tough but I won’t bore you at this time.

As for STs, the jury is firmly out on Watkins at this point.

Surely we’ve gotta be looking at Edouard/Origi and maybe even Iheanacho over Watkins??

(Kinda ignored Tammy given the Edouard + £20m/£30m uplift).

(Edit x2 been a bit stupid so clarifying).

(Edit x3 - relative newbie fella so a break would be 👌).

I don’t want to see anyone leave this window other than Hogan, Lansbury, Bree, Kalinic and for Davis to go on loan. Everyone else needs time to settle and develop. I would hate to see a repeat of 2015 where we dump players only for them to blossom.

I think Wesley and Samatta are decent players, they just need patience. I think Watkins will be a very decent forward: intelligent, natural goal scorer, good movement and varied finishing.

Would love Benrahma and Buendia; those three, Jack staying, Luiz mk2 and a fit McGinn would move us forward massively.

• Like 2