Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

1 minute ago, Mjvilla said:

I think you'd do well to get Hughes for £5m. Think he would be a good signing but will go for more than that.

Probably right and I was probably being optimistic here. No doubt he’d be closer to 10m but if Watford need money, you never know. 

Looking at our current team and what starters I’m happy with, leaves me thinking we need the below new players:-

Heaton 

New      New       Mings    Targett 

Luiz         McGinn 

New             Grealish          New 

New 

Based on links:-
RB - Aarons

CB - Smalling

RW - Watkins 

LW - Benrahama 

ST - Abraham 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Probably right and I was probably being optimistic here. No doubt he’d be closer to 10m but if Watford need money, you never know. 

I think he would be a very good, sensible signing. If it was £10m, I'd pay that for him.

8 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I think he would be a very good, sensible signing. If it was £10m, I'd pay that for him.

I don't. This is not a window to sign players for depth or rotation. This is a window to buy better players than we got. What player would you move out of the team to accomodate Hughes? 

7 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I don't. This is not a window to sign players for depth or rotation. This is a window to buy better players than we got. What player would you move out of the team to accomodate Hughes? 

Hourihane? I haven’t seen enough of him though but he seems to be a fairly highly rated CM?

Agree with your general sentiment but I don’t mind adding to the squad/giving ourselves options as long as we also, as a priority, improve the first team. 

8 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think Hughes would start pretty often here. He'd likely rotate with Hourihane depending on situation and matchup.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I'd have him over every central midfielder that isn't mcginn, Luiz or Grealish if that's where you want to play him. Based on form of the last few months, since lockdown, I'd even suggest he would be starting ahead of mcginn. For £10m, you don't get a ready made PL player who could play alot of games next season very often.

Just now, Mjvilla said:

I'd have him over every central midfielder that isn't mcginn, Luiz or Grealish if that's where you want to play him. Based on form of the last few months, since lockdown, I'd even suggest he would be starting ahead of mcginn. For £10m, you don't get a ready made PL player who could play alot of games next season very often.

Which is why I imagine he would cost more than £10m - they paid £8m for him a few years ago and will argue he’s more proven now.

2 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Which is why I imagine he would cost more than £10m - they paid £8m for him a few years ago and will argue he’s more proven now.

Wouldn't disagree. I wouldn't pay much more than £10m just because so much else is needed. At £10m, it would be a no-brainer.

2 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Must be the only one that doesn’t really rate Hughes, certainly wouldn’t start him ahead of McGinn/Luiz.

Reading a Watford forum and watching a few games toward the end of the season, he was the only one showing for a number of games. They really rate him there. And I liked what I saw. His form was a level higher than mcginn this season. Of course noted about mcginns injury.

• Like 1

Hourihane isn't a starter. He quite clearly needs to be a rotational option. No where near good enough. And in our team it's much more useful to use Luiz as a traditional CM than DLP. A DM he is not. McGinn sure isn't a DM. That means the right first team balance we need to get in our midfield is McGinn - new anchor - Luiz. Hughes has no place. 

But opinions are like arseholes I guess 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Hourihane isn't a starter. He quite clearly needs to be a rotational option. No where near good enough. And in our team it's much more useful to use Luiz as a traditional CM than DLP. A DM he is not. McGinn sure isn't a DM. That means the right first team balance we need to get in our midfield is McGinn - new anchor - Luiz. Hughes has no place. 

But opinions are like arseholes I guess 

By my count Hourihane started 8 of the last 10 games, with no-one unavailable. You might not WANT him to be a starter but it’s hard to say he isn’t one. So when we look at improving the first team, which you’re saying we should do, it’s up there with the most obvious positions.

Of course you are totally entitled to the opinion that Hughes is not good enough (I haven’t seen enough of him to judge) or the wrong sort of midfielder but you specifically asked who a CM coming in would replace in the first team and it’s very definitely Hourihane (who is still a good squad player to have in my opinion). 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

I would look to add 6-8 players this window:

RB: Aarons 20m

RCB: Smalling or Stones 20m

Def Mid: Ampadu (Loan) or Doucoure or Billing 10m

Mid: Hughes or Swift 5m

Wide Forward: Benrahma 25m and R. Sessegnon (Loan)

C Forward: Watkins 20m and Grant or Wilson 10m  

Approx 110m total spend.   

Sell/release/loan approx 6-7 players: Kalanic, Chester, Jota, Trez, Lansbury, Samatta or Wesley

Ianacho Striker (Leicester) 25m

Sarr Winger/Forward(Watford) 35m

Eze Winger/Forward (QPR) 15m

Doucoure Midfielder (Watford) 25m

Aarons Right Back (Norwich) 20m

Stones Centre Back (Man City) 20m

Wijndal Left Back (AZ) 10m

Total 150m

Sell/Release

Kalinic/Nyland/Chester/Engels/Taylor/Elmo/Lansbury. Might raise 10m Might look at another forward if we do and sell Samata.

Loan

Davis

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

Watkins, Benrahma & Henry - 55m (ish?)

Beundia or Edouard - 30m/35m

CM - 30m (or 2 x c.15m?)

GK - Loan (if Heaton wont be back for season start)

total spend - 115m/120m.

thoughts?

You want to spend £55m on just over 25% of a Brentford team that didn't get promoted?

I don't prescribe to the idea you need Premier League experience necessarily, but taking THREE players from a failed team from the division below is statistically unlikely to be what we need to move 5-10 places further up the league table. Either that or the rest of the Brentford team were absolutely horrific!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

I really liked the look of Hwang Hee-Chan, the Korean forward who played with Haaland at Salzburg, but just looked him up and shock he’s moved to Leipzig already.

Looking forward to seeing more of him next season. Can see him ending up in the PL at some point.

20 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

You want to spend £55m on just over 25% of a Brentford team that didn't get promoted?

I don't prescribe to the idea you need Premier League experience necessarily, but taking THREE players from a failed team from the division below is statistically unlikely to be what we need to move 5-10 places further up the league table. Either that or the rest of the Brentford team were absolutely horrific!

im certainly not saying they are premiership quality, i dont know if they are or not, if they were they would be excellent signings, if not....then not.

Some info though in relation to these 3 (and the Brentford team), yes they failed to get promoted, but:

1) They scored the most goals in the division.

2) they conceded the second least goals in the division.

3) If they had won either of their last 2 games (which they inexplicably lost), they would have gained automatic promotion.

4) they lost by 1 goals in the final, and tbh i think anyone who was a betting person, would probably have bet on Brentford pre match (but ye, they did fail, no doubt about that).

I dont argue the point that they may or may not be premiership standard, who knows, only way to find out is for someone to purchase them and benefit or fail?

its all about whether we can pick the players that are good enough, some championship players are clearly good enough to play in the Prem (at some level), ie: Grealish - when he was in the champ, Maddison, Bowen, Webster, Hendrick, Hughes, Antonio, Brooks, Rodriguez, Creswell, Stones, Dawson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Bent, Walcott, Cahill, Lescott (pre Villa), Ramsey, Bale......

All of those players came from the Championship (or lower divisions), so yeah i completely agree it would be terrible business to buy lower league players not good enough for the PL, but also amazing business to purchase lower division players who can make the jump.

Whoever we sign, i just hope they can improve our team, whoever it is.

Edited by MaVilla