Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

2 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Thought he was excellent for us in a shit team.  Was class for Everton as well.  

Yes totally agree. Might not be a flashy enough signing for some though.

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I would sell Wesley in a heartbeat for anything above 10m. 
He's not very good and may even be worse after his ligament injury. 

He's a classic case of a player getting better on Villatalk whilst out injured. Honestly? I think he's rubbish. (sorry). 

He very well could be worse after the injury, but it doesn't change the fact he finished 3rd on the team in goals and 3rd in xGoals during league play despite playing in only 55% of our league games. He was also second on the team in goals per 90 minutes at 0.25 behind only Trez's 0.28.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I would like to see him in a much better balanced Villa team, before I cast my final judgment on him.

We were a side that struggled to create and attack outside of one player all season long. He's not the kind of striker who can dribble the ball 30 yards to beat defenders. He's reliant on the ball getting to him in key spots to allow him to get a shot off. If we get him that service, he's going to score.

I also think we tend to downplay his importance as a target man and linking up play from the back. That's a very important part of what Dean Smith wants his center forward to do.

Wesley takes a larger share of the blame for our scoring struggles than he deserves simply because he was the big-money signing. It's a natural reaction I fully understand, but it doesn't mean it's the right conclusion.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

We didn't change our approach until after the restart, so let's compare our numbers with Wes and without him BEFORE the restart.

ASTON VILLA PREMIER LEAGUE SEASON

WITH WESLEY (21 matches)

Goals per match: 1.29
xGoals per match: 1.12

WITHOUT WESLEY (7 matches)

Goals per match: 1.00
xGoals per match: 0.95

If you still think it's a coincidence it's only because you want to believe it so.

It’s more of not having McGinn than Wesley actually.

I think Davis is the best out of the 3. Not writing Wes off yet, but I don’t think he’s a lone striker. Davis was unlucky not to start in our easiest games. Can’t be judged against Liverpool or Chelsea. 

For me I’d sell Samatta, I won’t be against selling Wes in a reasonable price. I’d be happy for Davis to play a part. But we can’t go to the season with only two fit striker.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

Don't like the idea of selling Wesley, especially at the price reported. I know it's been a while since we've seen him, but I'd have thought six months of El Ghazi, Vassilev, Davis and Samatta playing striker for us would've opened more eyes on how "bad" Wesley actually was.

WITH WESLEY (21 matches)

WITHOUT WESLEY (17 matches)

Goals per match: 0.82
xGoals per match: 0.96

It's not a coincidence.

There was a lot more to it than just Wesley not being there. I really don't like these kinds of stats, no offence to you mate.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

We didn't change our approach until after the restart, so let's compare our numbers with Wes and without him BEFORE the restart.

WITH WESLEY (21 matches)

WITHOUT WESLEY (7 matches)

Goals per match: 1.00
xGoals per match: 0.95

If you still think it's a coincidence it's only because you want to believe it so.

Nah, correlation doesn't mean causation. We went 5 at the back and stopped being so gung ho after Watford spanked us in December. 

I'll be as chuffed as anyone if Wes proves me wrong, but, as of now, he's had far more poor performances than good, and I would definitely sell him for a decent fee.

• Like 2

If Lazio are offering 13m, I'd rather keep Wes. He's going to be backup to whoever we bring in, and I can't see us finding any decent backup for 13m. We signed Samatta for 10 and he looks even worse than Wesley. It's not worth it.

24 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I'm not sure the point of selling Wesley, in reality we need someone of his potential and current ability in place of Davis, playing second fiddle to a top striker. 

i would keep wesley.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Nah, correlation doesn't mean causation. We went 5 at the back and stopped being so gung ho after Watford spanked us in December. 

Very true, but there was a clear drop off between Wesley and our other options, whether using stats or our eyes. That alone is evidence that Wesley was better than it's portrayed on this board. I'm not arguing he's world class, but he's unfairly derided by some VT posters.

• Like 1

It depends how confident we are of getting another (good) striker IMO. If it's a case of selling him, then flapping around for a couple of months before we end up bringing in another Samatta-level striker then I'd rather not bother, because Wesley is somewhat better than the other two. But if we've got something better lined up then sure, sell, because you can count his good performances last season on one hand with fingers to spare.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It depends how confident we are of getting another (good) striker IMO. If it's a case of selling him, then flapping around for a couple of months before we end up bringing in another Samatta-level striker then I'd rather not bother, because Wesley is somewhat better than the other two. But if we've got something better lined up then sure, sell, because you can count his good performances last season on one hand with fingers to spare.

sadly, He wasn't the only one....its just that his role, is so accountable.....I guess why strikers generally, get paid more.

Goal keepers and Strikers are largely judged by the ball going in the net......the rest of the players, can hide behind lesser accountable stats.....I think he had to come looking for the ball too much and his job became predictable.....a well oiled attacking machine and he could have messed up the defenders better and became more unpredictable.....our approach play was poor and Wes was a victim of it.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Wolves restricted to £27mill losses this season, Arsenal making cut backs, Man U spreading Sancho payments out to afford him, Liverpool don't want to overspend either - we are possibly the only team saying fek it and splashing big money - huge chance to make up some ground this window. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Wolves restricted to £27mill losses this season, Arsenal making cut backs, Man U spreading Sancho payments out to afford him, Liverpool don't want to overspend either - we are possibly the only team saying fek it and splashing big money - huge chance to make up some ground this window. 

Find it hard to believe we aren’t effected by this either. Every club is effected one or way or another. 

• Like 1

Just now, dudevillaisnice said:

Find it hard to believe we aren’t effected by this either. Every club is effected one or way or another. 

Surely we're in a different stage to more established clubs - we have to invest now to cement prem league status - who knows if the reported £100 mill spend is real, but the statements of NSWE certainly make that believable. 

2 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Probably why the quoted figure is 100m and not the 120-140m it was last season. We look like we're going to spend every penny available again.

2 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I'm sure we are, but I think the bigger clubs are being hit harder simply because they're the ones who have the most "bonus" revenue generated from other avenues that just aren't there right now. Whereas everybody else isn't losing nearly as much from marketing and merchandising etc. Revenue that's already been spent for a large part.

Everyone's hurting, but some will hurt far more than others.

• Like 1