Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

Just now, gwi1890 said:

So has Mane, Salah, Sterling , Aubameyang , averaging 10 goals a season is fine for a player at villa, but in tops sides in a front 3 you should be in touching distance of 20 goals, just because your not playing down the middle is not an excuse in this day and age

OK sterling had De bruyne for a whole season. Rashford only had Fernandes for half of last season. Mane and Salah play a completely different style and basically are a front 2. Auba is the only player who did anything for arsenal so no wonder he got 23 goals everything went through him. 

4 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

So has Mane, Salah, Sterling , Aubameyang , averaging 10 goals a season is fine for a player at villa, but in tops sides in a front 3 you should be in touching distance of 20 goals, just because your not playing down the middle is not an excuse in this day and age

All experienced world class players at their peak. Rashford isn't world class yet and nowhere near his peak either (still a lot better than Tammy). Aubameyang also played in the centre half the time. Liverpool set up as their wingers to be main goalscorers. Firmino is more of a link man / workhorse. And city set up with Sterling as far forward as Aguero, looking to break the offside trap.

Without going off topic, Trez and Anwar have done some ok things for us and I don't feel we should be having mass changes like we needed last year, so would be happy enough with them both as squad players but regardless of the support of the midfield or Jack being played there, if they are our starting players next season we will be relegated IMO. Real quality competition hopefully would bring the best out of both of them.

Anybody think we might even relax our "No loans" viewpoint this summer?

Meaning for example, we spend a chunk on the likes of Watkins/Benrahma/Eze, a CM and full backs, then loan or loan to buy a top striker.

Or any shuffle of that pack?

So we straight out buy the younger, high potential youngsters, and loan an experienced head or two while the others settle and gain top level experience.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

8 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

I'd rather keep Davis than Samatta tbh.

But on the other hand I do think a loan for Davis might be ideal for the player, he needs lots of game time and hopefully he can improve on the one major flaw in his game! 

Wonder if some sort of swap deal to the Championship for Keinan would do us well.

Say to offsett cost to Brentford or QPR etc?

Then again isn't he in the final year of his contract?

9 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Wonder if some sort of swap deal to the Championship for Keinan would do us well.

Say to offsett cost to Brentford or QPR etc?

Then again isn't he in the final year of his contract?

The Davis situation is a bit murky for me. I think almost everyone agrees he needs a season out on loan, but considering we triggered a 1 year extension rather than even giving him a 2 year deal means any loan would basically be the end of his time, similar to O'Hare. He has definite potential and I don't think he'll reach his best playing a bit part role in our squad, so maybe using him as a makeweight in a deal would be best for all parties.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Meaning for example, we spend a chunk on the likes of Watkins/Benrahma/Eze, a CM and full backs, then loan or loan to buy a top striker.

So we straight out buy the younger, high potential youngsters, and loan an experienced head or two while the others settle and gain top level experience.

I think loans with an option to buy will be a bit more of a thing this window across the board, and I could see us getting involved in that.

It's a handy way to spread the cost, try before you buy and for the players an easy out should everything go wrong.

Now usually it's difficult to convince a club to go with it, but I've a feeling quite a few will be struggling and happy to get some wages off their books, and possibly get more of a fee in a years time than what they might get right now with the market how it is...

Edited by Teale's 'tache
typo in my typo
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Rolta said:

I thought you were going to let up on Davis. Accepting he needs to sort out his scoring, I really don't think he deserves such negativity. I'd say his coming back from injury in the lockdown contributed to us staying up. It wasn't everything, but it was definitely something. He was involved in some of the goals, and his general play made a difference.

Having said that, he may benefit from a loan at a club where he'll play more and have a chance to get his confidence up. You'll disagree, because you have been relentless, but that would obviously involve extending his contract too.

You don't, but I genuinely rate him. Others seem to rate him too. He can be a Prem player for sure, imo.

We'd need to bring in another striker though if he went out on loan.

Yeah and I have let up, this was a transactional comment on a potential deal, honestly it was no more. 

I hadnt gone into what I think of Davis, it was a comment on the value of the transaction and the benefits.  You have to give me a little leeway that if any deal comes up I can make a comment on my view on the deal.  As promised I didnt do my usual dismiss of Davis, which I agree is/was relentless, I said I would do the deal in a heartbeat and the reason why, it would be a major improvement on our attacking and scoring intent.  I didnt say anything else.  If we did a swop plus cash for other players I would analyse it the same.

To be honest I hadnt focused on Davis, I'm worried that Watkins was going to be our only striker in, so this deal pleased me because it (without any foundation) that we likely get another striker as well. 

As for liking him or dont liking him, reading the comments recently on Davis without my input seems to be fifty fifty on liking him.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

I'd rather keep Davis than Samatta tbh.

But on the other hand I do think a loan for Davis might be ideal for the player, he needs lots of game time and hopefully he can improve on the one major flaw in his game! 

This is exactly where I'm at. 

I just don't see anything in Samatta at all. Would rather we let go of him above both Wesley and Davis. 

19 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He said no loans for young players without the option to buy. Not no loans. He is fine if we are loaning an already made player not a ayer we would be developing. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

He said no loans for young players without the option to buy. Not no loans. He is fine if we are loaning an already made player not a ayer we would be developing. 

We only have to look at Dean Henderson as an example as to why we shouldn't discount any loans. He was never going to stay at Sheff Utd but helped them immensely this year, as well as pushing his own claims/profile. Arsenal took loans. Until we truly establish ourselves back in the top tier, we shouldn't shoot ourselves in the foot or be too snobby and say no loans. Try before you buy- whats not to like? if the buy option isn't there, as long as the player has contributed, again it helps.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

If that was the case, I really don't see Watkins being the only striker we bring in. His versatility across our front line would be a bonus, but I don't see us having Watkins, Wesley and samatta as our striking options for a season. Certainly not with Wesley recovering from a terrible injury.

I think this is why we might go for Watkins....he can fulfil all the roles up top, and we'll still bring in the main CF, with Wesley and Watkins the fall back options. It would be a plan.

9 minutes ago, gatecrasha said:

We only have to look at Dean Henderson as an example as to why we shouldn't discount any loans. He was never going to stay at Sheff Utd but helped them immensely this year, as well as pushing his own claims/profile. Arsenal took loans. Until we truly establish ourselves back in the top tier, we shouldn't shoot ourselves in the foot or be too snobby and say no loans. Try before you buy- whats not to like? if the buy option isn't there, as long as the player has contributed, again it helps.

Drinkwater and Reina? We are willing to loan players, just under conditions that suit us, ie. in an emergency or with an option to buy.

Sheffield United and Henderson has worked well up until now, but Sheffield United get nothing going forward for helping to develop him and giving him first team experience, they've got a couple of seasons out of him which is great, and there's plenty of value to that, but now they need to replace him which is going to cost a decent wedge. Meanwhile Man Utd haven't had to do anything for a few seasons, had a chunk of his wages paid and probably been paid by Sheffield Utd to give their 3rd choice keeper invaluable Premier League experience and increase his value ten fold. Nice work if you can get it...

Watch Brentford get davis as part of any deal.

Then they turn him in to a Drogba type goal scoring machine and we look on in two years when he's a complete beast of a player and we are crying about how did we lose such a young player and not develop them

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Watch Brentford get davis as part of any deal.

Then they turn him in to a Drogba type goal scoring machine and we look on in two years when he's a complete beast of a player and we are crying about how did we lose such a young player and not develop them

That's why we insert a buy back clause

• Like 2