Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

2 hours ago, Killeen30 said:

God was rejected/let go by a top team. There is no set rule in transfers. 

So was Laursen. So was Carew to a degree So was Staunton going back to the 90s. All part of our top 6 years.

If it was possible I'd say getting in likes of Juan Mata and Milner for two years would massively increase the mentality of dressing room and get us into the top half no problem. Milner, McGinn and Luiz in midfield sounds good to me anyhow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Good chances Leeds will land both Benrahma and Watkins.

Bielsa will be a big factor for players deciding between clubs.

It's just a huge benefit you get by having a high profile coach.

The biggest factors in a players mind are money and location. I think we are ahead on both counts. 

Edited by Made In Aston

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Origi would be a good signing. He needs to play week in week out really. 

He scored 2 in a champions league semi final and 1 in a final. Not bad for a player some would say is not good enough for us.

For me it's not so much if he's good enough. It's more about me not knowing what kind of character he is.

If he's the James Milner type who works his socks off and is ready to go every minute he gets even thou he's mostly been used as a bench option then I'm all for it. But if he's the type who's grown comfortable sitting on the bench just hanging around a winning team them I'm not so sure. 

From what I can find he's not had any major injuries so that is a plus, always a red flag for me with fringe players. He's almost at the age where he either goes the Drinkwater, Bale route and is happy to sit on the bench picking up salary or he restarts his career at a lower level club and tries to become their main man. 

I know nothing about Origi to say either way. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Junxs said:

😤

I don't know whether to laugh or cry, wish our womens team was called something else

-------

Sorry about the above, havent posted in this thread for ages and it seems to be stuck in my response box and I cant remove it.

So what I really wanted to say:

Edouard plays for Celtic in a league where Rangers are the only half decent opposition, so he wouldnt even be playing against Celtic as he plays for them! 

His name pops up on every page, but really that league without Celtic is league 1 standard, perhaps lower..

It would be like paying 40m for Ivan Toney or Paddy Madden, I'm not against signing players from there as McGinn, Van Dijk and possibly a few others have proved decent. But we're talking 40m here.

Eduoard also is the star striker for a very, very good French U-21 side having scored 11 in 6. But I agree £40m is too much.

But I don't he will go for that much however much Celtic would like it to be so.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Buendia is a no brainer unless bigger targets are already planned 

I can't see us being able to make all of the signings that we need to make, if we spend more than Buendia is likely to cost us. I would like to see us put in a bid for Dwight McNeil from Burnley, as well. These are the sort of proven players that could make an immediate impact, in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, Jbvilla909 said:

We can't be turning out noses up at the like of Origi, we survived by the skin of our teeth. He's better than our current strikers. Wes will need another half a season to get back to full match fitness. 

If we do get Origi for £20ish mill then I see that as good business for us 

IMO, Origi for £20m would be excellent business. 

He’s experienced at the top level and is pretty much a 1-in-2 striker despite coming off the bench late on in games the majority of the time. Also he’s, what, 26? So just about getting into his best.

I can only imagine Liverpool would let him go if he’s fed up of being backup, though.

I would really like Origi. I don’t understand the dislike of the idea. He has a very good goals to minute ratio... to base it on appearances is unfair because he’s been primarily a sub player for Liverpool. He’s scored every 176 mins this year in just the PL, which isn’t much worse than Tammy who scored a goal every 148, and even Mo Salah only managed a goal every 152 mins in the PL this year.

I actually think if we got him, it would be quite a coup. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bobzy said:

IMO, Origi for £20m would be excellent business. 

He’s experienced at the top level and is pretty much a 1-in-2 striker despite coming off the bench late on in games the majority of the time. Also he’s, what, 26? So just about getting into his best.

I can only imagine Liverpool would let him go if he’s fed up of being backup, though.

Which would be a signal in itself of the right kind of mentality needed to succeed here.

2 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I would really like Origi. I don’t understand the dislike of the idea. He has a very good goals to minute ratio... to base it on appearances is unfair because he’s been primarily a sub player for Liverpool. He’s scored every 176 mins this year in just the PL, which isn’t much worse than Tammy who scored a goal every 148, and even Mo Salah only managed a goal every 152 mins in the PL this year.

I actually think if we got him, it would be quite a coup. 

I think he's fine as a player, his record isn't amazing but then you do have to factor in a lot of those appearances are subs.

I think the problem is we've no idea how well he will do, he hasn't been a consistent starter in the Premier League, his record when he has been a consistent starter at other clubs is a bit meh, as is his international record.

It's no guarantee he's going to come in and be the answer to our problems, all he's shown recently is that he's handy coming off the bench for (currently) the best team in the country/europe... it's a leap to go from that to main man at another club, it's an entirely different kind of pressure. Every transfer is a risk, with a player that hardly plays I feel that risk is always a little greater, why hasn't he moved already? Why hasn't he sought to be the main man somewhere? Is he comfortable just being a sub? So many questions.

Now, if the wages and fee are favourable I have no issue, but if Liverpool want £25m for a bloke they barely play then they've been dealing with Bournemouth for too long. He's been at Liverpool a long while now so I imagine he's on a decent whack, would he be worth it?

Who knows?!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think Giroud could be a good experienced signing along with someone such as Watkins. He signed an extension at Chelsea but we were strongly linked with him as a loan in January. We could take him as a loan or buy as I doubt he’d be a huge fee. The sticking point with anyone coming from Chelsea is of course wages. He knows where the net is though. 

He was indeed Dave. Unfortunately he was set on Milan at the time.

He is the type over "over 30's experience" that I agree with all day long.

6 hours ago, thunderball said:

Giroud won’t be leaving, he has proved very valuable to Chelsea since January.

Never say never. We tried in January. I wouldn't be against us trying again - to loan or buy.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Jbvilla909 said:

We can't be turning out noses up at the like of Origi, we survived by the skin of our teeth. He's better than our current strikers. Wes will need another half a season to get back to full match fitness. 

If we do get Origi for £20ish mill then I see that as good business for us 

I said the same thing about Watkins, I think the advantage Origi has is he isn't just a stiker, he can play out on the left of right so is great cover for a number of positions. If we can get it for around the 20m mark I'd take that all day!