Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

2 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Some “itk” bloke on twitter who probably knows really knows nothing says we’ve had a bid of £17.4m rejected by Liverpool for Origi. Liverpool want £25m and we want to get deal done ASAP. 

I’d take him definitely, Liverpool would be silly to let him go in my opinion

• Like 3

12 hours ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Jhon Córdoba anybody?

https://bulinews.com/news/5686/report-jhon-cordoba-has-rejected-kölns-first-contract-offer

Skillet to succeed in the premier league. Out of contract next summer.

Has been a complete waste of money on the whole for Koln as he replaced Anthoiny Modeste who'd scored a million goals before they sold him to China. Actually got Modeste back when they were in Bundesliga 2.

Think someone else mentioned him last week but Kramaric from Hoffenheim would be an excellent pick up, can play out wide or central and far better than when he was at Leicester. Probably cost less than Watkins.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sne said:

Rumor is he's going back to Southampton as part of the Höjbjerg deal if there is one.

I liked the look of Yann Valery a while back. He didn't seem to play much for Southampton in the run in last season so perhaps with KWP coming in he'll be available. He could be a good pick up as pacier option at RB.

On 31/07/2020 at 10:48, gaz90 said:

Probably the signing of Stine Larsen for our Women's team. 

On 31/07/2020 at 10:49, sne said:

Apparently we've signed Danish international Stine Larsen. For the women side that is.

😤

I don't know whether to laugh or cry, wish our womens team was called something else

-------

Sorry about the above, havent posted in this thread for ages and it seems to be stuck in my response box and I cant remove it.

So what I really wanted to say:

Edouard plays for Celtic in a league where Rangers are the only half decent opposition, so he wouldnt even be playing against Celtic as he plays for them! 

His name pops up on every page, but really that league without Celtic is league 1 standard, perhaps lower..

It would be like paying 40m for Ivan Toney or Paddy Madden, I'm not against signing players from there as McGinn, Van Dijk and possibly a few others have proved decent. But we're talking 40m here.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Has been a complete waste of money on the whole for Koln as he replaced Anthoiny Modeste who'd scored a million goals before they sold him to China. Actually got Modeste back when they were in Bundesliga 2.

Think someone else mentioned him last week but Kramaric from Hoffenheim would be an excellent pick up, can play out wide or central and far better than when he was at Leicester. Probably cost less than Watkins.

Kramaric is one of the best finishers in the world. He's deadly and I'd take him in a heartbeat if it wasn't for his unfortunate injury record.

If we're scouting Hoffenheim though, I'd happily take Robert Skov or Christoph Baumgartner.

Edited by Okonokos
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Agreed, but different investment. We need 4-5 players averaging 30m a player to really improve the 1st team and knock some of our 1st teamers back to squad players.

If I were to choose 5 positions, it would be:

LB
CM
LW
ST
RW

I would say 3 30m to 40m signings 2 10m to 20m and a one or cheap less than 5m. The 3 bigger signings 2 wingers and a striker. The 2 10m to 20m signings left and right backs. The cheap signing a cheap midfielder (experienced transfer maybe) back up as I would move Jack back into the centre as a 10 / 8.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Exactly, and the only example of one working recently is Ings.

Any other examples of fringe players at top teams being signed by a team at our level, and successful?

Certainly more examples of 'championship players' stepping up than the above tbh.

Depends if you stretch it to fringe players from top european teams. I'd say Lucas Digne is one of best LBs in premier league, he only cost a few more million than Targett did (I know we couldn't compete on wages but perhaps we will in two years time). Everton fans really rate Andre Gomes aswell although I don't see the fuss and think we potentially have better in Luiz (who arguably was a fringe player at Man. City). Cahill at Palace is another obvious example.

My main point is to build a better team we need to eventually start to sign players from better leagues e.g. players who are part of squads who play in europe and in good leagues. Wolves signing Moutinho from Monaco and all the Porto players and Leicester signing Youri Tielemans after it didn't work out for him at Monaco.

Just signing from Belgium or Brentford all the time, just don't see how we're going to become a top 7 club again soon with that strategy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Depends if you stretch it to fringe players from top european teams. I'd say Lucas Digne is one of best LBs in premier league, he only cost a few more million than Targett did (I know we couldn't compete on wages but perhaps we will in two years time). Everton fans really rate Andre Gomes aswell although I don't see the fuss and think we potentially have better in Luiz (who arguably was a fringe player at Man. City). Cahill at Palace is another obvious example.

My main point is to build a better team we need to eventually start to sign players from better leagues e.g. players who are part of squads who play in europe and in good leagues. Wolves signing Moutinho from Monaco and all the Porto players and Leicester signing Youri Tielemans after it didn't work out for him at Monaco.

Just signing from Belgium or Brentford all the time, just don't see how we're going to become a top 7 club again soon with that strategy.

I totally agree. 

I was responding to the 2 points that

1) We should be looking on the fringes of 'top' clubs (presumably in England)

2) We shouldn't be shopping in the Championship.

We did this strategy previously and got the players right, if we had a summer of Ayew, Veretout, Gueye, Amavi to add to our current squad, under the current management, it would be fantastic. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Delphouneso said:

You can't really use Danny Ings as a yardstick for the kind of signing we should be making. Firstly Southampton are his boyhood club so they'd  have had more pull signing him and were always more likely to get a tune out of him. Secondly with his injury record £18m was still a pretty big risk, he was just as likely to get a season long injury in his first game as he was to score as many as he has, we weren't and aren't exactly in a position to take those kinds of risks. Yeah it looks like a great signing in hindsight but could easily have been an £18m Danny Drinkwater.

I was just illustrating that there are potentially good signings among what are described as big clubs rejects.

Don't think Southampton were ever in danger of signing Drinkwater. 

I'd imagine Loftus Cheek on loan would be a good signing

not transfer related but the clubs and the FA just voted to bring back the 3 man sub rule for next season...hooray..it gave the bigger teams with bigger squads an unfair advantage..now just to get rid of the "water" break..and VAR lol

Edited by OLDVILLAIN
stuck in the old VAR quip as well:-)
  • Like 4