Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

27 minutes ago, Nicho said:

Benrahma, Eze and Watkins I imagine would leave us with around £40 million to strengthen elsewhere.

Right winger

Starting right back

Back up left back

Centre back capable of challenging

Defensive mid/centre mid

Not sure we can do all of that, I mean I could on football manager. 

We won't be signing anywhere near 8 players. I would say 4 max.

38 minutes ago, nick76 said:

We arent going to agree, I can see that.

Our wings were weak because of the players.  If we keep Jack and buy 2 wingers, sell Trez, then we have Jack, 2 wingers and El Ghazi as back up.  We need somebody to put the ball in the net.  One of the reasons that when we went more defensive that we couldnt score was because our attacking threat/players were poor outside of Jack.  Everything went through Jack or not at all.  Trez scored a couple of key goals but him and El Ghazi have generally been poor.

Get a top striker in and Wes can then be back up.  We have two new wingers, who can be interchanged with Jack who can play on the wing forward position or more back into midfield depending on needs of formation, injuries or form.  We then have a real attacking force.

As for our fullbacks, I think you are being overly harsh.  Yes would I replace them eventually or if I could, of course but the end of season showed even with those guys in we were defensively fairly sound for game after game.  If we do have more money than 100m then maybe something to look at.

We obviously dont agree on this but our attacking areas are key for me, with a top notch striker and top winger are key and I would spend the bulk of our money there.

Well I would put Jack back in the middle and get two wingers. Fullbacks are a clear weakness. Jack is most likely to stay if a we get quality in and b he is in his preferred position. Why keep bottle job Ghazi, when Trez produced when it mattered most? We spend 50m, but who, I don't  see a decent name. Last season Callum Wilson was worth 40 to 50m, now at 20m one season latter he is finished! I actually agree we need a marque striker, but we can't afford 50m on a striker right now. We put all our eggs on a striker what happens if he is out of 6 months or more after 5 games? Buggered!

11 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Goalkeepers
Tom Heaton
Lovre Kalinic 🥶
Ørjan Nyland
Jed Steer

Defenders
Ahmed Elmohamady
Neil Taylor
Tyrone Mings
Björn Engels
Frederic Guilbert
Kortney Hause
Matt Targett
Ezri Konsa
James Bree 🥶

Midfielders
Henri Lansbury
Conor Hourihane
Jota
Marvelous Nakamba
Mahmoud Trezeguet
John McGinn
Anwar El Ghazi
Jack Grealish
Douglas Luiz

Strikers
Scott Hogan 🥶
Wesley Moraes
Keinan Davis
Mbwana Samatta
Indiana Vassilev

24 men (- Kalinic, Bree & Hogan) + 6/7 to that = 30/31 🤢 I think a recipe for disaster and discontent.

I like a tidy, small hyper-competitive squad. I like 18-21 man squad supplemented by Academy grads.

I'm still banging the drum for 4 Quality signings, with a capital Q, plus squad trimming. Adding 7 and trying to trim is too much IMO. 

We can only register 25 anyway,  although Davis, Vassilev and Luiz wouldn't count in that 25 as they were 21 or under at the start of the year.

I'd also remove Lansbury and Jota, leaving you with 19 registered, plus 3 that can play unregistered. Sign 6 and you have your 25 with the only turnover being to players that played less than 3 matches between them.

Edit: I'd be happy with 4 if they are all proven quality, but given 1 is looking like Watkins, I think we still need those 4 capital Q players  you mention.

Edited by MrBlack

36 minutes ago, WooJung said:

While I entirely agree with you, I think we would do well to get a vocal, experienced centre back who can push his way into the starting 11. Konsa has massively improved, but is still very young and prone to making mistakes (as is mings). 

The season is long and he would still find time to play and keep developing. He might also find chances to play at RB where I think he has done well. 

If we go into next season with the same centre backs I have to say I would be a little worried,as an injury could seriously threaten our stability. 

Oh I agree.  Elsewhere I have posted that we need Striker, two wingers/wide forwards, CM and CD.  I have talked about another centre back quite a bit, I really think we need one.  I am though slightly of the thought that the players we need, that I quoted at the beginning of this sentence is the order of priority for me.  I think if we can improve our attacking line we hopefully will be more on the front foot than the back foot and thus the opposition will be attacking less.  I think Mings and Konsa need some stiff competition and I would love a more experienced and talented player to offset Konsa's inexperience.  Just when I think of the money we potentially have to spend, for me we have to prioritise the attack side.  If we have 150m then definitely get a quality CB.....

I always feel we are on the defensive in the game from the start because I dont know where the goals are going to come from

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

We can only register 25 anyway,  although Davis, Vassilev and Luiz wouldn't count in that 25 as they were 21 or under at the start of the year.

I'd also remove Lansbury and Jota, leaving you with 19 registered, plus 3 that can play unregistered. Sign 6 and you have your 25 with the only turnover being to players that played less than 3 matches between them.

Still makes me sick. I mean in a general team cohesion way not a bureaucratic box ticking exercise way. Squad would be way too big and bloated. I think its counter productive to a team game, breeds discontent. Need to trim the fat before we consider making 6 signings, imo.

*People keep adding adding and adding, just one more mentality. Sign 4 first team players (front 3 and CM), don't give a fudge about sawdust and filler, and just in case scenarios. 

Edited by GENTLEMAN

5 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Well I would put Jack back in the middle and get two wingers. Fullbacks are a clear weakness. Jack is most likely to stay if a we get quality in and b he is in his preferred position. Why keep bottle job Ghazi, when Trez produced when it mattered most? We spend 50m, but who, I don't  see a decent name. Last season Callum Wilson was worth 40 to 50m, now at 20m one season latter he is finished! I actually agree we need a marque striker, but we can't afford 50m on a striker right now. We put all our eggs on a striker what happens if he is out of 6 months or more after 5 games? Buggered!

I honestly dont feel we can not buy a quality striker......we are always on the back foot, we need that attack as an outlet, the opposition to be concerned and the chance to nick games against big teams to win a crucial point here or there.  We need somebody who can score and we need somebody who can take the pressure off Jack.  For me, fullbacks arent a clear weakness.

I dont care whether we keep Trez or El Ghazi to be honest....I used Trez because there are reports that Eddie Newton wants him in Turkey.

I agree about Callum Wilson example but what does that mean, that we never buy a striker because he might fail.  I think we should throw everything at Tammy....he knows the club, he knows Smith's tactics, he fits the system and he's having contractual issues at Chelsea mainly because he doesnt know where he fits because of the players they are buying plus Giroud signing and extension and starting before him.

• Like 2

What about shaqiri on loan with an option to buy, cover ourselves if he is not at all arsed in performing. There is a really good player in there and will get into double figures if his attitude is right. We need some exciting players linked with a mix of potential and proven quality.

Origi, inanacho and Abraham are not what we should be going for, go get a marquee signing 

1 minute ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Still makes me sick. I mean in a general team cohesion way not a bureaucratic box ticking exercise way. Squad would be way too big and bloated. I think its counter productive to a team game, breeds discontent. Need to trim the fat before we consider making 6 signings, imo.

I agree to an extent, but given the intensity and short timeframe of next season,  having a bulky squad will be a necessity. And if we have to do that by keeping players we ideally want rid of long term, so we can minimise the number of incoming, then that is the way forward for me. My minimum incoming is 4, if we lose the 5 I suggested. Lose any more and we will need to replace them =more turnover. 

5 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

*People keep adding adding and adding, just one more mentality. Sign 4 first team players (front 3 and CM), don't give a fudge about sawdust and filler, and just in case scenarios. 

I think we should still be looking at high potential youth players that we can bring in, and then loan out for a season.

Which is why I'm hoping there is some truth in the Hickey rumours.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Could this be confusion with the Max Aaron’s deal? As I can’t imagine we’re interested in both of those Norwich players? (Although we could be I suppose)

Lewis is better, think Liverpool are interested 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ben said:

Origi, inanacho and Abraham are not what we should be going for, go get a marquee signing 

You're not counting spending £40 million on one of Chelsea's main strikers this season a marquee signing?? 

• Like 1

I don't think he is worth that money. I think he done brilliant for us to get us promoted and started the season really well but he is behind giroud now and if he was worth that money I don't think giroud would keep him from the side.

He needs lots of chances to score and doesn't really create anything for himself.

I think we deserve a player who can both create something from nothing and score too. 

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I honestly dont feel we can not buy a quality striker......we are always on the back foot, we need that attack as an outlet, the opposition to be concerned and the chance to nick games against big teams to win a crucial point here or there.  We need somebody who can score and we need somebody who can take the pressure off Jack.  For me, fullbacks arent a clear weakness.

I dont care whether we keep Trez or El Ghazi to be honest....I used Trez because there are reports that Eddie Newton wants him in Turkey.

I agree about Callum Wilson example but what does that mean, that we never buy a striker because he might fail.  I think we should throw everything at Tammy....he knows the club, he knows Smith's tactics, he fits the system and he's having contractual issues at Chelsea mainly because he doesnt know where he fits because of the players they are buying plus Giroud signing and extension and starting before him.

Tammy isn't a top striker, that's why they've signed Werner. I fail to see how Tammy is better than Wilson apart from being younger. We get quality on the wings that will also terrify defences. If we have 2 wing signing and one flops we can move jack back wide. We need to address our weaknesses, enhance or strengths while giving ourselves flexibility and options. 50m on Tammy won't achieve that! Plus let's say Tammy nicks an extra goal here and there, if our defence is better won't that mean a few less conceded?!

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I don’t quite agree re fullbacks and even if they are it’s one of the lower priorities and we can’t do everything in a close season

Buying a full back would be a lower priority purchase for me too. A goalscorer, two wide players and a midfield player, for whom we should be prepared to spend big, would be my minimum requirements. A couple of good less costly prospects, would be nice as well. 

I just wonder if someone becomes available at the right price, whether our owners might be prepared to add a bit more to the agreed transfer kitty, so that we don't miss out on a player like Aarons for example. It might not initially have been a priority spot for this window, but some players might just be too good, for us to be prepared to let them go somewhere else. ;)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I agree to an extent, but given the intensity and short timeframe of next season,  having a bulky squad will be a necessity. And if we have to do that by keeping players we ideally want rid of long term, so we can minimise the number of incoming, then that is the way forward for me. My minimum incoming is 4, if we lose the 5 I suggested. Lose any more and we will need to replace them =more turnover. 

I will agree its personal preference and we're living in strange times indeed. I just have a 'Warnock-Injured player' type aversion to seeing over 23 year old players fannying around for the season without even kicking a ball. I like clean lines and small squads.

4 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

I think we should still be looking at high potential youth players that we can bring in, and then loan out for a season.

Which is why I'm hoping there is some truth in the Hickey rumours.

Yes sir. I want a small squad of senior pros, supplemented by high potential youth. Clear pathways. Come to our club, work hard, and you will get what you deserve: opportunity.  

• Like 1