Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

9 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

We need 2 wingers, if we sell trez we need 3! Our wings were our weakness both defensively and offensively. For me fullbacks are a priority, I'd also like to sell Engels and bring in a quality RCB. 

Now two 20m wingers won't  cut it. The Sarr estimate is 40m, Benrahma is 25m. We should be spending 30 - 40m for one of those wingers and 20m for the other as that is every bit as important as a goalscorer. Targett gets trashed by every decent winger he comes up against. Guilbert similarly. Our defensive displays at the end of the season were at the cost of attacking ambition. If we want to do more than just stay up that needs to be addressed. Quality wide players defensively and offensively are essential.

We need 5 quality additions but realistically only 4 are likely. Ideally we'd be spending 150m but we will have to do with around 100m If we spunk half our budget on a 50m pound striker we will stay up (just) if he bangs in 15 plus goals but we will Still finish in the bottom half and Jack will be gone!

We arent going to agree, I can see that.

Our wings were weak because of the players.  If we keep Jack and buy 2 wingers, sell Trez, then we have Jack, 2 wingers and El Ghazi as back up.  We need somebody to put the ball in the net.  One of the reasons that when we went more defensive that we couldnt score was because our attacking threat/players were poor outside of Jack.  Everything went through Jack or not at all.  Trez scored a couple of key goals but him and El Ghazi have generally been poor.

Get a top striker in and Wes can then be back up.  We have two new wingers, who can be interchanged with Jack who can play on the wing forward position or more back into midfield depending on needs of formation, injuries or form.  We then have a real attacking force.

As for our fullbacks, I think you are being overly harsh.  Yes would I replace them eventually or if I could, of course but the end of season showed even with those guys in we were defensively fairly sound for game after game.  If we do have more money than 100m then maybe something to look at.

We obviously dont agree on this but our attacking areas are key for me, with a top notch striker and top winger are key and I would spend the bulk of our money there.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I would keep Trez. Samatta and Nakamba can GTFO. They're rubbish.

So is Trez to be fair. He scored the goals we needed to stay up in those 2 games, for which I will always be greatful. But his overall play is among the worst I have seen by any villa player in the last 10 years

Edited by WooJung
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, lexicon said:

We need the right players. It's not about standouts, it's about finding players with the necessary skillset that we're lacking and integrating them successfully into the team. That could be a player who hasn't shone elsewhere but be great for us etc. We have to be smart with recruitment and not just throw money at shiny things.

yes I agree with that too.....but right now, we are not the most attractive proposition......We might have to be ambitious to raise the bar, then we can be more prudent later.

I am all for spotting gems and introducing talented kids.....but right now, I think we need a statement of intent......but your point is right, they need to be the right ones.....We need a snipers shot, not a blunderbuss

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Easier said than done, but to land that first statement transfer would be game changing for us. It would act as a signal to other potential signings that we were seriously looking to progress. Now more than ever we have to hope that our owners are looking to flex their financial muscle and try to get a foot in front of the likes of Everton and Wolves etc. The reality is that we will have to overpay once or twice to gain a foothold, that’s what Chelsea and Man City had to do to make the breakthrough. 

This

I know it probably won't be, but our first signing should be the 'star' signing.

It creates a buzz and excitement not only for the fans but also the players already at the club and prospective new players if they see a quality signing. May also convince Jack that we are going to improve our team quality.

Having messed up in this position before by signing average players on the whole for big money and big wages, let's learn from learner and if big money is to be spent, that it is on the very best we can afford rather than your Heskey, shorey, sidwell,  Harewood, reo Coker and co.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I would keep Trez. Samatta and Nakamba can GTFO. They're rubbish.

I agree with you but if Luiz gets hurt on the first day who would fill the void if we don't fill the void. Or would DM be a position you would 

spend £30m even though we had Luiz coming back later. That is why I'm saying the bench is so important and some of our 1st teamers

are not good enough for the bench. It's a tricky problem

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

We arent going to agree, I can see that.

Our wings were weak because of the players.  If we keep Jack and buy 2 wingers, sell Trez, then we have Jack, 2 wingers and El Ghazi as back up.  We need somebody to put the ball in the net.  One of the reasons that when we went more defensive that we couldnt score was because our attacking threat/players were poor outside of Jack.  Everything went through Jack or not at all.  Trez scored a couple of key goals but him and El Ghazi have generally been poor.

Get a top striker in and Wes can then be back up.  We have two new wingers, who can be interchanged with Jack who can play on the wing forward position or more back into midfield depending on needs of formation, injuries or form.  We then have a real attacking force.

As for our fullbacks, I think you are being overly harsh.  Yes would I replace them eventually or if I could, of course but the end of season showed even with those guys in we were defensively fairly sound for game after game.  If we do have more money than 100m then maybe something to look at.

We obviously dont agree on this but our attacking areas are key for me, with a top notch striker and top winger are key and I would spend the bulk of our money there.

While I entirely agree with you, I think we would do well to get a vocal, experienced centre back who can push his way into the starting 11. Konsa has massively improved, but is still very young and prone to making mistakes (as is mings). 

The season is long and he would still find time to play and keep developing. He might also find chances to play at RB where I think he has done well. 

If we go into next season with the same centre backs I have to say I would be a little worried,as an injury could seriously threaten our stability. 

• Like 1

I really don't know why people seem to be panicking that we haven't signed anyone yet or might not sign the right quality. Firstly, the season only officially finished last night and there's still 2 months left of the window and secondly, there is absolutely nothing to suggest we won't buy quality. All the signs are that we have a huge transfer budget and we know how ambitious the owners are. To me, it seems like worrying for the sake of worrying.

Benrahma, Eze and Watkins I imagine would leave us with around £40 million to strengthen elsewhere.

Right winger

Starting right back

Back up left back

Centre back capable of challenging

Defensive mid/centre mid

Not sure we can do all of that, I mean I could on football manager. 

3 minutes ago, WooJung said:

While I entirely agree with you, I think we would do well to get a vocal, experienced centre back who can push his way into the starting 11. Konsa has massively improved, but is still very young and prone to making mistakes (as is mings). 

The season is long and he would still find time to play and keep developing. He might also find chances to play at RB where I think he has done well. 

If we go into next season with the same centre backs I have to say I would be a little worried,as an injury could seriously threaten our stability. 

I think the CBs will be just fine. The problem before lockdown was that we didn't defend as a team, far too much room in front of the back four timr after time.

Luiz was a changed man after the re-start and Hourihane too took much more resposibility. We looked far more compact and the stats agreed with that.

The structure is more important than the individual players

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Based on current rumours, this would be my dream scenario:

Eze £20m

Benrahma £30m

Edouard £30m

Watkins £18m

Hickey £4m

Aarons £20m

£122m spend. And you have...

Wing: Eze, Benrahma, Watkins, Trez, El Ghazi & Jack as wide options

Striker: Edouard, Watkins, Wesley, Samatta, Davis

Fullback: Targett, Guilbert, Elmo, Aarons, Hickey, Taylor

I think that’d be a good use of our money, though I know it’s unrealistic that we’d not strengthen at centreback or centre-mid. That’s where I would then utilise the loan market or free transfers to get a reliable Prem player in each of those positions.

I imagine we’re not going to buy that many forward options though, but I like the idea of these young players fighting each other for places in the first eleven.

Think Eze will remain in LND, unfortunately. I like the signing of Edouard, mostly because I'm fantasising about Hogan going the other way and winning the golden shoe of Scotland. I am a man that celebrates departures over arrivals.

• Like 1

I think just buying 4 or 5 quality players may well still leave us short. We probably need 6 or 7 Which is still less than the 12/13 we brought in last year. If we do that, keep Jack and still layout the same money, towards £150m then in theory we should make decent progress. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Think Eze will remain in LND, unfortunately. I like the signing of Edouard, mostly because I'm fantasising about Hogan going the other way and winning the golden shoe of Scotland. I am a man that celebrates departures over arrivals.

If Hogan can become a top goal scorer in Scotland, I’m worried about signing Eduardo or any other Scottish striker!  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Nicho said:

Benrahma, Eze and Watkins I imagine would leave us with around £40 million to strengthen elsewhere.

Right winger

Starting right back

Back up left back

Centre back capable of challenging

Defensive mid/centre mid

Not sure we can do all of that, I mean I could on football manager. 

It depends on where we’re looking. I imagine there are decent cheap options about, that would allow us to spend more on our favoured positions. 

6 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I'd be amazed if Benrahma signs for Leeds.

Can't see him starting many games for Chelsea either....

If we want him and match the bid from Leeds, I would agree. Having his old boss and possibly Watkins too, would surely seal the deal. I would be more worried by Chelsea. He would not start more than a handful of games for them, but sadly that doesn't always put players off. Higher wages along with staying in London might prove sufficient incentive.  

6 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

If Hogan can become a top goal scorer in Scotland, I’m worried about signing Eduardo or any other Scottish striker!  

That's the biggest worry for me.  Only have to look how well Sinclair did there to know that a player can be a god North of the border and terrible below it.  That said, it's not a given and there are examples where players have transferred well.

I'm unsure and definitely not convinced at £40m. For the £25m that has been rumoured I think we'll struggle to get any better and would take it, but with us looking like we're going for Watkins, I would not be happy with just those two as our striking options until Wes returns. Its basically like having two Wesley's next year, instead of the one we had this year. Two rolls of the dice instead of 1. Which is not good value for what could be over  £50m.

4 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think just buying 4 or 5 quality players may well still leave us short. We probably need 6 or 7 Which is still less than the 12/13 we brought in last year. If we do that, keep Jack and still layout the same money, towards £150m then in theory we should make decent progress. 

Goalkeepers
Tom Heaton
Lovre Kalinic 🥶
Ørjan Nyland
Jed Steer

Defenders
Ahmed Elmohamady
Neil Taylor
Tyrone Mings
Björn Engels
Frederic Guilbert
Kortney Hause
Matt Targett
Ezri Konsa
James Bree 🥶

Midfielders
Henri Lansbury
Conor Hourihane
Jota
Marvelous Nakamba
Mahmoud Trezeguet
John McGinn
Anwar El Ghazi
Jack Grealish
Douglas Luiz

Strikers
Scott Hogan 🥶
Wesley Moraes
Keinan Davis
Mbwana Samatta
Indiana Vassilev

24 men (- Kalinic, Bree & Hogan) + 6/7 to that = 30/31 🤢 I think a recipe for disaster and discontent.

I like a tidy, small hyper-competitive squad. I like 18-21 man squad supplemented by Academy grads.

I'm still banging the drum for 4 Quality signings, with a capital Q, plus squad trimming. Adding 7 and trying to trim is too much IMO. 

• Like 1