Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

41 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

We have to have squad players that are better than we have. I'm not saying that we should spend our budget on squad players ,of course we must buy quality.

Quality probably means we will get 4 players max for the £100m that has been bandied about. That is fine but it will not address the subs bench situation

A) Because of the 5 subs rule and B. Because some of our current back up players will leave. We have to be sensible about this, it's not all about the 11 starters

The point is that those 4 signings push 4 of our first teamers on to the bench. Yes,  our first team is only just good enough for this league as it stands  but improving nearly half of the outfield players and having the existing first teamers that were just about good enough on the bench means we are in a better position.  The current first team crop that get replaced can come on in the 70th minute to do a job when our new signings have us 3-0 up. 

Wasting money on squad players is a terrible choice this season.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I get the Telegraph, here is the quote:

"Newly-promoted Leeds United have been linked with Buendia, while Aston Villa are believed to hold an interest in Aarons, who German reports have also linked with Bayern Munich"

I had also heard on Sky Sports Transfers that Bayern were in for Aarons at over £20m (but as a deputy to their RB) and if they offered that you wouldnt think he would turn it down unless he didnt fancy sitting on the bench.

Hmm... well Bayern do have an issue at right back at the moment, bought Pavard last summer but he's out for an unknown amount of time with a ligament injury, they have Odriozola on loan from Madrid but that ends soon, so there's certainly a space opening up there for another right back.

3 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Easier said than done, but to land that first statement transfer would be game changing for us. It would act as a signal to other potential signings that we were seriously looking to progress. Now more than ever we have to hope that our owners are looking to flex their financial muscle and try to get a foot in front of the likes of Everton and Wolves etc. The reality is that we will have to overpay once or twice to gain a foothold, that’s what Chelsea and Man City had to do to make the breakthrough. 

Sadly.....I think you are right.

We have to sign one or two Marquee signings, to make that all important breakthrough and raise the bar....then others will come.

I am not convinced we will...but I will keep my hopes up.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I totally agree, but do see the arguement also for him to play further upfield out on the left. 
It's a tricky one but ultimately, the only reason he was playing on the left was because our wingers were so shit, we needed him to. With better wingers, I can see Grealish kicking on again next season centrally. 

Agree. If we were able to obtain a new front 3 (eg, Sarr, Iheanacho, Benrahma) then imagine the options that Grealish would have picking one of those 3 out, compared with this season when he had to try and pick out one of Wesley/Davis/Samatta, Trezeguet, or ElGhazi. Imagine the extra space Grealish will get with those 3 (in brackets) ahead of him. As we saw after lockdown, our defenders aren’t actually too bad when we don’t expose them time after time. Change our front 3 and I think you change the entire dynamic and effectiveness of the team. Whatever money we might have, the lions share of it should go on the front 3. If we have to, spend the lot of it on the front 3!

Edited by OxfordVillan
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So why cant we spend 50m on a striker? we have the funds....according to reports it's £100m.  We are likely to sell one or two players, so lets say Trez and Nakamba, the current names being touted in Turkey out and let's say some more go....all bits and bobs totalling around 15-20m maybe.  Buy a striker for 50m, and then 3 x 20m players....adds up to the four players it seems we are after.

Just not convinced in spending money on the players you mentioned when as you say they will at best be "just stiff competition for Wes"

We might have to.

23 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Walker is 30, Trippier is about to turn 30...  They'll be out of the picture in a few years.

TAA & Wan Bissaka have the position on lock at the moment, but an injury to one of them opens up a spot for someone else to get a call up.

James is the same age as Aarons and is BEHIND him in the U21 squad...  No idea how you'd put him ahead in the England pecking order...

Because since the last internationals James has excelled, becoming Chelsea's starting RB, and Aarons has been relegated as part of the worst defence in the league. Aarons is talented but if you think he's getting an England call-up any time soon you're deluded.

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So buy 50m striker, 2 x 20m attacking wingers, 1 x 20m DM.

I don’t quite agree re fullbacks and even if they are it’s one of the lower priorities and we can’t do everything in a close season 

Perfectly realistic!

We need 2 wingers, if we sell trez we need 3! Our wings were our weakness both defensively and offensively. For me fullbacks are a priority, I'd also like to sell Engels and bring in a quality RCB. 

Now two 20m wingers won't  cut it. The Sarr estimate is 40m, Benrahma is 25m. We should be spending 30 - 40m for one of those wingers and 20m for the other as that is every bit as important as a goalscorer. Targett gets trashed by every decent winger he comes up against. Guilbert similarly. Our defensive displays at the end of the season were at the cost of attacking ambition. If we want to do more than just stay up that needs to be addressed. Quality wide players defensively and offensively are essential.

We need 5 quality additions but realistically only 4 are likely. Ideally we'd be spending 150m but we will have to do with around 100m If we spunk half our budget on a 50m pound striker we will stay up (just) if he bangs in 15 plus goals but we will Still finish in the bottom half and Jack will be gone!

22 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

We have to have squad players that are better than we have. I'm not saying that we should spend our budget on squad players ,of course we must buy quality.

Quality probably means we will get 4 players max for the £100m that has been bandied about. That is fine but it will not address the subs bench situation

A) Because of the 5 subs rule and B. Because some of our current back up players will leave. We have to be sensible about this, it's not all about the 11 starters

but it really is......we stayed up by the skin of our teeth....if we buy squad players, we might no be so lucky next time.....after last season some of our first teamers should be squad players.

Players that we think are good enough, are not.

The league doesn't lie.

We need some standout players.

4 hours ago, jonjon said:

I agree with that, I have seen most home games this season and that was the worst performance of the lot, not one of our players turned up last night, disappointed, yes I am, downhearted, no I'm not, after our amazing run we just run out of steam in the last few games.

Benrahama, Watkins & Henry we expect to be sold, no doubt for a good profit, as usual we appear to have replacements lined up ready for this, just looking to go again with better luck next season.

I now can't see Chelsea being in the frame for any of them, Villa would appear to be favorites for one of them.

Hope you can "do a Villa" next year. We lost to Fulham too, but we got back to Wembley the following year, won it and took their PL place off them. We know just how low you will all feel now though. :(

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

but it really is......we stayed up by the skin of our teeth....if we buy squad players, we might no be so lucky next time.....after last season some of our first teamers should be squad players.

The league doesn't lie.

We need the right players. It's not about standouts, it's about finding players with the necessary skillset that we're lacking and integrating them successfully into the team. That could be a player who hasn't shone elsewhere but be great for us etc. We have to be smart with recruitment and not just throw money at shiny things.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

The point is that those 4 signings push 4 of our first teamers on to the bench. Yes,  our first team is only just good enough for this league as it stands  but improving nearly half of the outfield players and having the existing first teamers that were just about good enough on the bench means we are in a better position.  The current first team crop that get replaced can come on in the 70th minute to do a job when our new singnings have us 3-0 up. 

Wasting money on squad players is a terrible choice this season.

You talk about pushing the 1st team starters to the bench but we could well end up selling the likes of Trezeguet, Samatta Jota  Nakamba, Taylor and loaning out Davis. Obviously players like Lansbury

will be sold and then there's not much left to be called squad players

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

The league doesn't lie.

I never said we should not buy quality for the starting 11

2 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

You talk about pushing the 1st team starters to the bench but we could well end up selling the likes of Trezeguet, Samatta Jota  Nakamba, Taylor and loaning out Davis. Obviously players like Lansbury

Which is why we don't sell them. Obviously Lansbury and 1 or 2 others 100% won't play. We sell them. But trez, samatta, nakamba, Taylor. We keep them for now.

Edited by Mjvilla
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I totally agree, but do see the arguement also for him to play further upfield out on the left. 
It's a tricky one but ultimately, the only reason he was playing on the left was because our wingers were so shit, we needed him to. With better wingers, I can see Grealish kicking on again next season centrally. 

I wonder how much Jack will have a say in this.   He prefers the middle and might need assurances that he'll be played there in order to stay?

I prefer him out left, but you could well be right that with better options he will excel in the middle.  Definitely need a decent CF and RW, the the other big spend IMO should be LW or Hourihane upgrade.  I'll leave Dean and co to decide which way to go.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

The league doesn't lie.

Exactly. They are Trezguet, ElGhazi, Guilbert, Targett, Hourihane, Sammata. At a minimum. OK Trez the Fbs and Connor are good squad players. But they all need replacing in the first team.

1 minute ago, pintpotvilla said:

I wouldn't sell Trez, Sama or Nakamba. Way too much change and we repeat the mistake that was forced on us last season by choice.  But if we do , then you replace them with like for like equivalents that cost the same as we sell them for.  The £100m+ (I expect it to be more like 120-140) of net spend goes on the players we need.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Which is why we don't sell them. Obviously Lansbury and 1 or 2 others 100% won't play. We sell them. But trez, samatta, nakamba, Taylor. We keep them for now.

But I'll bet some of them do go. They will want 1st team action at least the younger ones