Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

24 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Ooh where did you get that from, he'd be a decent buy at the right price

I get the Telegraph, here is the quote:

"Newly-promoted Leeds United have been linked with Buendia, while Aston Villa are believed to hold an interest in Aarons, who German reports have also linked with Bayern Munich"

I had also heard on Sky Sports Transfers that Bayern were in for Aarons at over £20m (but as a deputy to their RB) and if they offered that you wouldnt think he would turn it down unless he didnt fancy sitting on the bench.

Thinking about strikers, how about Rondon? Only 30 and no idea how he's getting on in China but imagine he'd love to come back to the prem. Had a good season at Newcastle last time out and think he had 1 in 3 scoring record at West Brom.

Would be a good targetman option for us.

18 minutes ago, nick76 said:

The three you mentioned I just wouldnt bother with, save my money.  As I say, no point spending money when you are getting no better.

I dont see why we cant get a top striker but if we cant then there is no use wasting money for the sake of just buying another striker.  We will have to either wait which is problematic or invest it in other areas knowing we are still weak in the striking area but if we improve the rest of the team, hopefully one of current strikers will have a break out season or at least do enough to slightly improve us.

p.s. I think we can get a top striker but that's not the point, I just wouldnt waste money on those three

Depends on what we view as a top striker. I can say one thing All 3 mentioned are definitely improvements on Sammatta and Davis, and will provide stiff competition for Wesley at a low price point for strikers. For me a top winger with pace is THE priority as no matter how good the stiker he needs quality supply and the weakness of or team going forward (beyond the lack of quality) was a lack of a real threat in behind.

Apparently there is yet another "the next van Dijk" out there this one by the name of Xavier Mbuyamba and he's out of contract after rejecting a new Barcelona deal.

18 y.o almost 2 meters tall and supposedly a huge talent. Linked to Chelsea and a few other clubs but maybe he would like to join his compatriot Sil Swinkels at Villa and form our new CB pairing for the next decade instead :D 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, smg said:

Nah Taggart is shit.

Totally understand what you're saying here, seen him get to the bye-line hundreds of times only to go and miss the **** taggart....

Very frustrating, could be good with end product

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Thinking about strikers, how about Rondon? Only 30 and no idea how he's getting on in China but imagine he'd love to come back to the prem. Had a good season at Newcastle last time out and think he had 1 in 3 scoring record at West Brom.

Would be a good targetman option for us.

Problem here though is his weekly salary.  He’s probably picking up well over 100k a week, which we shouldn’t be doing right now.

Just now, Philosopher said:

Depends on what we view as a top striker. I can say one thing All 3 mentioned are definitely improvements on Sammatta and Davis, and will provide stiff competition for Wesley at a low price point for strikers. For me a top winger with pace is THE priority as no matter how good the stiker he needs quality supply and the weakness of or team going forward (beyond the lack of quality) was a lack of a real threat in behind.

Given the reports we are after a top striker and top winger/forward.  I really dont want to spend 20-30m on a player that only provides stiff competition for Wes.  Why would not pay more for a top stiker who will pay for himself over the next couple years due to the extra goals/assists and league places hopefully.  If a top striker scores 5 more goals than any of them it may be a place or two in the league and I think it was about £2m per place on the merit payment

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Given the reports we are after a top striker and top winger/forward.  I really dont want to spend 20-30m on a player that only provides stiff competition for Wes.  Why would not pay more for a top stiker who will pay for himself over the next couple years due to the extra goals/assists and league places hopefully.  If a top striker scores 5 more goals than any of them it may be a place or two in the league and I think it was about £2m per place on the merit payment

I agree. But the problem is even 40 doesn't get you a top striker these days (Joelinton and Haller for example). We need 50m plus. Otherwise it's the safer know what you signings i mentioned or the higher risk punt on a Watkins or Edouard!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Problem here though is his weekly salary.  He’s probably picking up well over 100k a week, which we shouldn’t be doing right now.

£250k/week apparently :D 

• Thanks 1

So if we could pick up two of the following:

Abraham, Edouard, Grant, Watkins, Iheanacho, Wilson, King.

Keep Wesley/Davis.  Then, sell/loan Hogan/Samatta.

I think we’ll have significantly improved our strikers for next season. 

1 minute ago, Philosopher said:

I agree. But the problem is even 40 doesn't get you a top striker these days (Joelinton and Haller for example). We need 50m plus. Otherwise it's the safer know what you signings i mentioned or the higher risk punt on a Watkins or Edouard!

So why cant we spend 50m on a striker? we have the funds....according to reports it's £100m.  We are likely to sell one or two players, so lets say Trez and Nakamba, the current names being touted in Turkey out and let's say some more go....all bits and bobs totalling around 15-20m maybe.  Buy a striker for 50m, and then 3 x 20m players....adds up to the four players it seems we are after.

Just not convinced in spending money on the players you mentioned when as you say they will at best be "just stiff competition for Wes"

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I don’t think Watkins is ‘the’ striker, but would certainly improve the squad overall - which we badly need.

Quite happy for the owners to turn on the spending firehose. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

So if we could pick up two of the following:

Abraham, Edouard, Grant, Watkins, Iheanacho, Wilson, King.

Keep Wesley/Davis.  Then, sell/loan Hogan/Samatta.

I think we’ll have significantly improved our strikers for next season. 

Agreed on most of that, but Wilson has had one good Prem season (18/19) and apart from that I don’t think is good enough at this level. Also if we got someone like Watkins who can also play wide I’d want to keep Samatta in the squad.

1 hour ago, SuffolkVillan said:

Totally agree with this. If we buy Benrahama he will be Jacks understudy which I am fine with if we can afford to have a £25m player on the bench? I want Buendia on the right and as you say a really strong left footed midfielder who can perform with set piece delivery. Key purchase will be a goal scoring CF( preference Tammy as well known to club and players and always gave it everything...better the devil you know).We also need competition for Targett and an experienced RCB alongside Mings for Konza to learn from and challenge. I would keep RB as it is. Understudy to McGinn would also be good so I can see the idea of McCarthey. I would estimate £130m to achieve these objectives as a net spend after recovering some cash from a few surplus sales.

likely squad:

Heaton, Reina (loan) Nyland

Guilbert, Elmo           Sokratis, Konza           Mings, Hause             Targett, Hickey/Robinson

Mcginn, McCarthy            Luiz, Nakamba                  New LCM, Hourihane

Buendia, Trez                                        Tammy, Wesley                                  Grealish, Benrahma

We have too many understudies......we want players to challenge the first teamers.......remember where we finshed, we won  9 games and conceded 67 goals.

don't let the relief of staying up cloud the issues.......We have to up our game.

• Like 4