Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

1 minute ago, Adam2003 said:

I have also never seen him do anything. But I’m assuming I must just be missing something given how much everyone else seems to rate him. Glad someone else has said this, even if we are both wrong!

Strength in numbers 🤣

Also a big no to Moses. Not the kind of guy we need - tremendous athlete but technical ability is poor IMO. 

10 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I don't think we should invest that much in a keeper, unless it was with a long term look. We'll need a keeper that can be happy as a second choice without spending much. I might get back to Butland, if he was around 5m. I won't spend more in a keeper.

I think our most important part is to get the winger right, then the striker. Because most of strikers don't get the success needed anyway. Not a lot of them out there that can success at this level. For me, we'll need to get a very good skillful winger, and Eze or Buendia (they could back a backup to Jack, possibly if he moves they can replace him imedietly).

If we can get: Benrahma/Brooks/Rasicha, Eze/Buendia, Doucoure/Billing, Smalling/experienced free CB. Similar players to those, and then young gems such as Hickey....etc

Finally, try and get a good striker and hope it works for him. If we somehow managed to get Abraham or Belotti then that would be a huge bonus and we'll know that they successed at high levels.

I would love it, absolutely love it, if Buendia moved to Villa, he's great ! 

It must have been frustrating for him to be in such a struggling Norwich team last season, he was just too good for them in the end.

Edited by robby b
  • Like 1

Just now, robby b said:

I would love it, absolutely love it, if Buendia moved to Villa, he's great !

Yep - been saying that for ages. He'd be my number one target.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I don't think he would float that well and I don't think they have cannels in Milan ;)

Correct.

I realise he is now choosing to extend his stay in Milan once his contract expires with Chelsea next week.  :thumb:

5 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Strength in numbers 🤣

Also a big no to Moses. Not the kind of guy we need - tremendous athlete but technical ability is poor IMO. 

I think the same about Saint Maximin. On his day fantastic but in general the play breaks down when they receive the ball.

Need players like Buendia, who are technically gifted with the ball. 

Edited by Lord Willard

15 hours ago, sne said:

Guess one can also factor in minutes played when looking at it. Wes started every league game for us until the injury and played 90 mins in almost all of them.

Iheanacho and Origi were used a lot as subs so games played is a bit misleading or at least needs context. Wesley averaged 85 minutes per game, Iheanacho 48 mins and Origi 27 mins.

Wes averages a goal every 358th minute, Iheanacho 1 every 193rd minute and Origi 1 every 186th minute this season.

All according to Sofascore.com 

Its a fair comment, i just never had the minutes stats, just games.

but you are right.

However, there are so many factors to consider in proper analysis......but games is a start.

31 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Sorry but I don't think this is accurate.

From my understanding his contract expired on 30th June (as is the norm) so was eligible to play in their games from the re-start until that date but to play beyond it (2 games if I recall correctly) he would have had to extend his contract.

From what I recall he turned down the short term extension and so Howe then said he wouldn't play him in any of their remaining games after the re-start (which I think was a little foolish given the outcome). So unless I've missed something Frazer didn't refuse to play after the re-start he just refused to extend his contract.

Now people can think ill of him for that but that is very very different to refusing to play. I'd also point out Nakamba refused to play in order to get his move to Villa as did Benteke but that is beside the point as I don't think he refused to play.

As for turning down the contract extension, I'm not sure I blame him and there could have been any number of reasons for him doing so both personal or professional. It would have been a hell of a gamble for him, what if he broke his leg in the last game and then had no contract and any Bosman deal is out the window. The guy is what, 25-26 his next contract is almost certain to be his biggest and quite possibly his last, it is almost certainly his last chance of playing for a bigger club at a better level.

I know as football fans we are emotive, we view it as fans and idealistically expect the same from those in the game but its these guys careers, their lives, their family they sometimes have to make decisions for themselves and they are often at odds with what we think they should do. They are also at odds with what we think we would do in their shoes, the reality is in most cases we probably would do the same.

So unless I've missed something, I don't have an issue with what he did and I think Howe made a big error. If I'm wrong and he did refuse to play, well as I've said we've signed people who have done that before including last summer so I could live with it.

I think he is a really good player and if we could get him on a free I'd welcome it.

he refused to extend his contract, yes, but to my knowledge is the only player in the top league to do that. any others were let go by their clubs. realistically, how many players break their legs in a season...it's very, very rare. chances of him getting a serious injury would have been slim. and in any case, clubs can sign free agents outside of the transfer window anyway, so he could have gotten his dream move in oct/nov/dec when his injury had healed.

what he did was a massive 2 fingers up to the team that gave him the opportunity to prove himself on the big stage. that's why howe refused to select him for the matches in june, and i agree with that. what he did says a lot about his character and i dont want him anywhere near villa. he's not even that good...makes he chuckle the that calbre of clubs he's been linked to is newcastle and palace when i imagine he thought he was going to spurs or similar.

this is different to a player going on strike to force through a move (but i disagree with that anyway...i didn't like it when marvelous or benteke did it).

• Like 1

Just now, tomav84 said:

he refused to extend his contract, yes, but to my knowledge is the only player in the top league to do that. any others were let go by their clubs. realistically, how many players break their legs in a season...it's very, very rare. chances of him getting a serious injury would have been slim. and in any case, clubs can sign free agents outside of the transfer window anyway, so he could have gotten his dream move in oct/nov/dec when his injury had healed.

what he did was a massive 2 fingers up to the team that gave him the opportunity to prove himself on the big stage. that's why howe refused to select him for the matches in june, and i agree with that. what he did says a lot about his character and i dont want him anywhere near villa. he's not even that good...makes he chuckle the that calbre of clubs he's been linked to is newcastle and palace when i imagine he thought he was going to spurs or similar.

this is different to a player going on strike to force through a move (but i disagree with that anyway...i didn't like it when marvelous or benteke did it).

Each to their own, I disagree.

2 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Surely has to be more than that, dont see us signing spectacular players if we have only 100 mill to spend. Sounds like all they are adding there is the survival money and not even thinking about what the Owners will add and what comes from sales as well, if we do sell anyone which the club may choose not to do.

You would expect overall there to be at least or around a couple hundred mill available if Owners put there hands in there pockets.

The Owners pretty much spent our promotion money season gone, that was around 130+ mill. Do not see why they wont spend abit more on signings that we desperately need to upgrade the squad and make it much better.  If were to buy better quality then of course it's going to cost big to bring around four to six players in at 30 mill an up each. As others say we could end up buying more players like this season adding more to the squad depth increasing our size all over in every position, which would see alot more players come in while we spend even less on them,would make it feel like phase 2 from last seasons rebuild, no?

It was meant to be more of a thought exercise just to see who people liked to bring in, and where they would allocate such a budget, rather than saying this is what our budget is going to be :)

Appreciate all the responses though!

• Thanks 1

Just now, thabucks said:

David Turnbull from Motherwell ... Young CM 

Agreed. He would be a good signing for sure. 

As would Jake Hastie. Who's since returned to the club this season from Rangers.

I would sign them both now whilst leaving both on loan at Motherwell until next season. (Bit like we did with Guilbert)

Both players are also familiar to @Villan4Life who also mentioned them a season or two back.

A couple more John McGinns in waiting.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

He can at same time look class in other games. But i appreciate the point he can make mistakes which could be costly. But i have to aay under sarri he looked a lot better. I think Lampards coaching has had an effect.

Christiansen also being allowed to go

Chelsea are just planning on playing next goal wins for next season then or what's the story? Just all defenders out the door?

He did look a lot better under Sarri but don't say it too loudly that Lampard's coaching had a negative effect on a player - the press won't like to hear Lampard's good name being besmirched.

• Like 1