Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

2 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Emil Forsberg was doing the rounds on Twitter yesterday...

Good player sadly he's been plagued by minor injures almost constantly since 2017. There is always something.

Think he was rumored to FC Copenhagen before he moved to Red Bull Leipzig a bunch of years ago, might be wrong on that one thou.

There's still the Europa and Champions Leagues to be settled. Transfers often end up being in chains and with a large portion of the European big hitters not really involved until they are over, it could well slow the market down a bit.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Good player sadly he's been plagued by minor injures almost constantly since 2017. There is always something.

Think he was rumored to FC Copenhagen before he moved to Red Bull Leipzig a bunch of years ago, might be wrong on that one thou.

The plot thickens. Welcome Emil.

1 hour ago, Mazrim said:

OK. Tammy may stay and fight for his place. He might fancy the odd CL game or sub appearance, or he night not appreciate being 3rd or 4th choice after his breakthrough PL season.

We'll see. But I wish ppl wpuld stop assuring us there's no chance of him leaving or coming to Villa. There is a chance. We have history with him and money. He'd be number 1 here and that might suit his career better right now than cameos. What about his England ambitions?

It is 100% a legitimate link.

I really, really hope Chelsea do him dirty. Relegate him to 3th choice striker, only giving him a run out in the League and FA Cup.  I want him livid that his boyhood club thinks he isn't up to the level. 

Then Villa could swoop in with a highlight video of the new vibrant Villa attack led by Jack, John and (insert new winger here). Tammy would sign right up and oh boy everybody better watch out.  That Tammy's revenge tour would be amazing. He would score 20 a season easy. He would be like a man possessed, putting 4-5 past Chelsea alone every season.  Chelsea would eventually have to re-buy him for 100 million and the promise to rename the Strafford End stand after his best friend and key on-field partner, Jack Grealish. 

Okay, seriously my Tammy fan fic is just that, fiction. It would never happen because Chelsea would be mad to let him go. In his last 2 seasons he has scored 26 (all comps) in the Champ and followed that up with 17 in all comps at the highest level. Any striker with 2 seasons like that back to back is going for 40 million easy. 

I feel the only real knock is that he is very one footed. As in of the last 43 goals he has scored only 2 were with his left foot.  Here's the thing he's only 22. So he still has time to develop a left foot well before his prime. 

Tammy would be the stuff of dreams but Chelsea would never let it happen 😩

4 hours ago, lexicon said:

My thoughts re: Tammy: 

When we were in the championship we were a super attacking side and created a ton of chances. Abraham scored quite a lot but he probably missed more. The thing that worries me a little about him is that at the moment, one of his strengths is his mental fortitude - he really believes in himself and that's great, but it's also something that he could lose as time goes on. Does he really have the natural talent to fall back on if he starts doubting himself or goes through an existential crisis? I'm not so sure about that. I wouldn't call him clinical, to be honest. He does have great positioning, he's a great athlete, he's an absolute pro in terms of looking after himself - but for me, I'm not sold on his technical ability at that price. We all saw what happened to his form last season, and that's probably due to defenders working him out as much as anything.

There are a lot of things to consider with a player, but we can't afford to sign someone for 40m odd who isn't guaranteed to be a success and I really don't think Abraham is a sure thing. 

With the exception of the last line I agree with this, it is how I felt this time last year and how I still feel.

His early season success did make me question this but as the season progressed I feel the above has to a degree been what we've seen happen. I think its a very legitimate view to hold given his career pre-Villa, time with us and this season with Chelsea.

On the last line I don't think any player is guaranteed to be a success and I'm not sure how much you pay for someone dictates the outcome.

As I posted earlier Abraham would be more of a known quantity than others but I don't think there are many absolutely guaranteed PL goal scorers around at £40m.

3 hours ago, brummybloke said:

And how much was werner ? If he is considered far superior, why would we be paying close to what he cost for tammy  ?

Because Tammy is English and that's it. Werner has been one of the best attackers in the bundesliga for the last 3 years. He likely only signed his contract extension on the condition that he would be sold (May have been a release clause) otherwise he would have just left this summer to someone like bayern on a freebie. Werner will come in and probably be the 5th best striker in the premier league behind Kane, auba, vardy and aguero. Abraham is probably the 12th or 13th best striker behind the likes of wood, Ings and more.

Abraham is probably worth about 30-35 million or 60-70% of what Werner cost although werner is probably worth close to 80 or 90 million really. 

19 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I do agree with this need to bring the big guns of football in and not the players that would make us a mid table team, need to aim higher.

I were hoping youd carry on a little while longer though, so carry on going on and on.

I’d be quite happy with us progressing to a mid table team! We barely survived this season & cant overlook that.

But some of the suggested signings (as I listed at the end) would not help us in that sense, they’d also keep us right at the bottom end of the table or in relegation trouble.

We need to identify genuine quality (not fill gaps as we did last season).

Again, there’s many examples. I wasn’t saying go for the “big guns” but scour the top leagues for excellent players with recognisable quality and high potential.

Arsenal did it with the likes of Petit & Vieira (who had heard of them beforehand? They ended up dominating the league and overpowering other teams/players).

Leicester got Mahrez & Kante.

There’s so many (much more recent) examples too. We have to sign players (no matter where they come from) that are going to make a major difference and transform us into a team that can compete and not ever be at risk of relegation for a start. Over time, we can continue to improve and add to the team and progress further up the table and maybe, in the not too distant future, challenge for European football.

Will all depend on the kind of signings we make.

• Like 1

A very intriguing window this, i can't fathom who we'll be in for at all whereas in most other windows you get a little a bit of an idea at some point. There just doesn't appear to be the right type of player that we need available to us as things stand and you can see a huge clamor from us and a whole host of other clubs, some who finished above us by quite some distance too, for the same few players. Some serious scouting needs to be being done if we are to get who we need.... whoever that is!

2 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

Joe Hart. Free. Don’t laugh. One season deal. Short term cover. Free. Yes, I mentioned free twice. 

You can mention free 15 times it wouldn't matter.

He's shit, he's finished and I wouldn't even have him as a reserve team goalkeeper.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 4

Tbh, he’s not my first choice but one of the things to consider with Tammy is just how young he is (so probably doesn’t deserve too much criticism?).

He will keep improving with regular football and his value will continually increase over time. 

It may be unlikely, but he doesn’t seem to be in favour or first choice for Chelsea (Giroud has been preferred, more recently at least) and with their new signings he’s only going to find it harder and is likely to be further down the pecking order...

Saw something where Lampard apparently called him a “Championship striker” and reduced him to tears...

Maybe it was just motivational and nothing worth reading into or maybe that relationship has turned sour? As in, he’s gone down in Lampard’s estimation... 

If they have undervalued him and we could snatch him, it may be one that Chelsea regret?

I don’t know but maybe it’s not impossible...

All I do know is that we desperately need goalscorers and need a major improvement in attack.

Also, Batshuayi isn’t getting a look in at all is he? Don’t really know how good he is tbh but he has been prolific in the past?

I’d be delighted if we get 2 CFs (offload Samatta - not the required quality & send Davis out on loan) but absolutely need one top striker who can be relied on for goals...

I wonder whether we could wrap up the Buendia signing soon/first? Seems attainable and we need wingers.

16 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

You can mention free 15 times it wouldn't matter.

He's shit, he's finished and I wouldn't even have him as a reserve team goalkeeper.

I’d take him definitely, he might not as good as he used to be but he’s still a very good keeper. A keeper that was England’s number 1 for 10 years and has 75 international caps is not ‘****’

2 hours ago, omariqy said:

I don't think it's PL experience rather buy players who go into the 1st team straight away and don't need 6 months to settle in.

And also players on the field who don't get freaked out when we're actually leading in a game v a Spurs or Chelsea.

We wasted so many points from winning positions last year. Generally more on field experience should help see out those games more. If you've got a few players in the squad used to winning cup finals and league titles then that won't be a big deal to them.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rolta said:

At the very least it's pretty fascinating how both players have their supporters. I get frustrated that Guilbert offers nothing and goes hiding a bit and is overly cautious. I also see his tackling as desperate and don't think he's a particularly good defender. Targett has had some moments of quality Guilbert hasn't come close to. 

Your comment about having Grealish ahead of him is an interesting one but there are plenty of times Targett has come under pressure and has still shown his quality.

Both are inconsistent.

Guilbert can have good games and some horror shows......Targett lets his winger get crosses in too easily, he stands off, instead of making life difficult for his opponent, better going forward, but thats not enough, at this level.

8 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I’d take him definitely, he might not as good as he used to be but he’s still a very good keeper. A keeper that was England’s number 1 for 10 years and has 75 international caps is not ‘****’

He is now.