Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

2 hours ago, blandy said:

I wonder if the effects of Covi will change things? I mean clubs must be looking at the TV money and wondering whether it's going to drop because of games being played with no one there, and the "offering" being less attractive. Sure in the very short term there is a deal in place, but if telly money drops, then the whole house of cards will come tumbling down. So there are 2 imperatives pulling in different directions.

I can see the Euro-telly league clubs like Man City etc still spending big for a while, but the rest? Less sure. 

I think that is almost impossible to answer at this moment in time, it depends on how long grounds are empty. I also think it will have a different effect on different clubs, Spurs for instance have spent a fortune on the ground with a view to really increasing their matchday revenue so for them I'd imagine it is extremely damaging. For Man City who's wealth is external I'd imagine a loss of match day revenue isn't an issue then you'll have the rest in the middle somewhere.

I think it could be fatal for a lot of clubs outside the bubble of the Premier League though without the broadcast revenues but who cares about those clubs aye?

In terms of the TV money, as you say a contract is in place so there is no immediate threat and the existing deal has two more seasons to run. I'm not sure that TV viewing figures will fall if fans aren't attending games, in fact I would imagine the opposite will be true. 

Yes if the TV bubble bursts then the cards will tumble but I just don't see that happening but there will be some shifts just as there has already been a shift to overseas rights being the main source of income.

At some stage we will see a shift from broadcasters like Sky and BT to the streaming providers or a Premier League owned streaming service which I think is highly possible.

I think you are right that the current situation may result in clubs spending less in this window but I don't think we will see an immediate reduction in the valuations on players simply because less are moving. It takes time for valuations in a market to change, I don't think that will happen in this window. If a club valued a player at £40m in Feb I don't think they will sell for £20m now for example but we shall see.

• Like 1

There's an aspect of signing foreigners that isn't mentioned a whole lot, and that is that it's easier for a foreign player to come in and impress in a settled PL side. A side that knows each other well and plays good football will have an easier time integrating and carrying a foreigner coming into the team and doing his best. An example would be Amavi, Veretout, Gana etc. in our relegation season. It's not that these players were poor players. Arguably they were very good players and we scouted well, but throwing them into a first eleven without and established spine and you're in for a world of trouble. 

I don't doubt for a second we can find cheap exciting gems and expensive super quality abroad, but I still think we need to get in a couple of PL proof players to settle the team in this division. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

There's an aspect of signing foreigners that isn't mentioned a whole lot, and that is that it's easier for a foreign player to come in and impress in a settled PL side. A side that knows each other well and plays good football will have an easier time integrating and carrying a foreigner coming into the team and doing his best. An example would be Amavi, Veretout, Gana etc. in our relegation season. It's not that these players were poor players. Arguably they were very good players and we scouted well, but throwing them into a first eleven without and established spine and you're in for a world of trouble. 

I don't doubt for a second we can find cheap exciting gems and expensive super quality abroad, but I still think we need to get in a couple of PL proof players to settle the team in this division. 

This is exactly why I don't understand people turning their noses up at the links to players like McCarthy. A few solid, unspectacular players who have been in the league for years could have a massive effect on the team, not necessarily because of their performances, but because they can improve the base level of the squad, and provide a platform for the more expensive signings to flourish.

I know if we were up against it in a game and needed to bring a player on to shore things up I'd be much more comfortable with the likes of McCarthy coming on than Lansbury or even Nakamba.

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Seriously.

I don't understand why people think Tammy is an option.

Because for the right money everyone is for sale 😋

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Love it when the ITKs go in on each other - who to believe? Hahaha. 

Agent Villa Looks like he should be on the register

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

I dislike barkley.

He just has one of those faces you want to punch imo.

God forbid we would want one of those types at villa amongst our handsome modelled players.

Not ITK here, but fat bloke down the boozer is very good friends with Purslow (supplies him with meat apparently) and thinks we’re signing the guy below:

image.jpeg.c09782ab9de195c41699f79c4426eae6.jpeg

Only 38, still scoring and cheaper than Tammy!  We all love Akinfenwa. 

Just now, ferguson1 said:

Not ITK here, but fat bloke down the boozer is very good friends with Purslow (supplies him with meat apparently) and thinks we’re signing the guy below:

image.jpeg.c09782ab9de195c41699f79c4426eae6.jpeg

Only 38, still scoring and cheaper than Tammy!  We all love Akinfenwa. 

Nah, he's just had knee surgery and is out injured for a long time.

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Yep.

The top or more successful teams do fine without signing players with PL experience.

Quite tired of the phrase tbh, there’s a fair bit of (overpaid, overrated and over valued) crap in the league too (e.g. Drinkwater) 

How much PL experience did Liverpool acquire to end up winning the league? Did Allison and Van Dijk have PL experience?

Wolves have signed players from abroad (Portugal) that have turned them into pretty much a top 6 team. They upset the league as soon as they were promoted really and I don’t see many players there that have or had PL experience. They scouted and signed talented players, it’s as simple as that.

Chelsea have always signed players from abroad that have turned out really well (Pulisic looks good now, Hazard previously, Willian - too many examples to list).

Man U have been transformed since they signed Bruno Fernandes...PL experience?

I could go on and on, just look at the most successful teams. I’m not saying we could be the same (not anytime soon anyway) but it kind of blows away this theory that “all you need is PL experience”

Aguero? No pl experience

Aubameyang? No pl experience 

Jimenez? No pl experience 

David Silva? No pl experience 

The majority of the best players in the league have come from abroad anyway! Henry? Bergkamp? Zola? Ronaldo?

Where did Leicester get Kante & Mahrez from?

Look how Wenger came in & transformed Arsenal. 

And so on and so on... too many examples of teams and players to list.

It may seem like I’m oversimplifying but the point still stands. Wolves is probably the better or most relevant example as they haven’t won anything yet but they have disrupted and upset the “normal order” and they’ve done it by getting talented players (and a talented manager) in from abroad! The means may be questionable 😆 but they have succeeded and continue to...

We just need top quality players no matter where they come from. The more successful players tend to have stronger personalities and character anyway and have greater capability to adapt. Players used to fighting for something and competing along with displaying their obvious talent. That’s what we need.

I actually think targeting pretty much any player with any PL experience is “small-time”

We need to bring about a big/bigger club mentality (within the fans as well as those in charge) and show some ambition and intent.

Some of the suggestions honestly make me despair at times. Not bad players per se but if that’s the kind we’re after then we’ll never really progress and be successful.

E.g. Benteke, Albrighton, Lolley & f****** Troy Deeney???!!!!

Come on guys...seriously?! 🤣

I do agree with this need to bring the big guns of football in and not the players that would make us a mid table team, need to aim higher.

I were hoping youd carry on a little while longer though, so carry on going on and on.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Adbo9 said:

Barry Bannan, Viktor Fischer and Harry Wilson 

Heard it here first !

If our new wingers are Fischer and Wilson I'll be sad. We need real quality in these positions.

Bannan turns 31 this year. Makes me feel old. He's a good footballer but not sure he's what's required, look how much trouble John McGinn had adjusting to the physicality of the PL. Would have been a good signing if we went down.

Edited by Tomaszk