Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

20 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I selfishly want Fulham to win the game today because I really want us to go after Benrahma, but Brentford is the better team.  

I'm thinking the opposite as we will be rumored for the whole summer of Benrahma coming and get hijacked by some other PL teams at the last minute.

3 hours ago, hippo said:

What does everyone think is the least we can spend - that means we aren't struggling next season .....

£60m for me -

its being reported its a £100 mill on 4 players.

Looking at our squad, I think this season I'd focus on buying...

- CF

- RW

- LW

- LB

Then next summer (on the assumption we stay up) go and buy

- RB

- CB

- CM

And whatever else we may need at that point.

If each of those signings are a £25-30m type player, we could have a very good squad at that point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KMitch said:

I love Guilbert, but he's only good enough to be a backup/rotation option right now.  He could turn out to be a great RB, given time, but I think a new RB should be on our shopping list this summer.

1 Striker

2 Starting Wingers

1 Box to Box Midfielder

1 Right Back

1 Goalkeeper

Need a lot of money for that unless we take last years approach and spread it around which is the wrong thing to do

18 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Gonna be honest, do not rate Ollie Watkins in the games I've seen him play. He is in a side creating an awful lot of chances and some of the chances he misses don't end up mattering because they went on to win anyway, but in the Prem and in our side, with less chances created and ones that are harder to put away, I wouldn't be confident of him scoring 

26 goals in his first season as a striker is pretty good I think.

I definitely would sign him and maybeven use him as a RW. 

Brentford will be winning on Tuesday and coming up though, so can't see him leaving.

1 hour ago, John said:

Barry Bannan hasn't done too bad since he left us. ;) Hopefully we will sign someone to make those clever runs as well. 

I agree. Strikers making clever runs is how Smith likes to play .. like Maupay last season . 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Gonna be honest, do not rate Ollie Watkins in the games I've seen him play. He is in a side creating an awful lot of chances and some of the chances he misses don't end up mattering because they went on to win anyway, but in the Prem and in our side, with less chances created and ones that are harder to put away, I wouldn't be confident of him scoring 

I've been wanting to say this but feared I hadn't seen him enough to make a judgment like that, but I watched Brentfords last 3 or 4 games that have been televised and he's missed some absolute sitters. Didn't really look like a premier league player to me.

In those games the commentators did say it's unlike him and he's bagged so many goals that I just thought I may have caught some of his bad games. He did take his goal well the other night, but part of me thinks Scott Hogan mkII.

On a side note Benrahma didnt look that good in those games either until the semi 2nd leg, but at least I've seen some snippets of some ridiculous skills by him throughout the season. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, TRO said:

its being reported its a £100 mill on 4 players.

And from what reliable source might that be? 🤓

Edit: just checked, so the Sunday Mirror! I remain open to the possibility of us spending any amount on any number of players.

Edited by Rolta

14 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Going after the wrong Crystal Palace central midfielder there...

James McCarthy was good five years ago but he's had horrendous injuries since. Did start around 15 games last season. Unless we're getting confused as James McArthur is more of a regular and he's a more defensive minded midfielder.

5 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

New signing over McGinn and Luiz? Absolute no brainer.

We aren’t going to improve if we’re signing players who are slightly better than the players that never get a game. 

We need to sign better players than Luiz and McGinn and then they all have to compete for a starting spot. That’s how you get better.

Yes, McCarthy is better than Lansbury, so what? 

Yep you sign a good DM and then likes of Hourihane and Nakamba are pretty much always on the bench rather than starting 20 + games a season.

Thing with McCarthy is he isn't even a DM. Palace do have an ultra caution midfield but pretty sure they've got McCarthur and Milivojevic as the holding two and then McCarthy is played as the more attacking of the three. So really he'd be in competition with McGinn and Luiz for a place and he's not close to those two when they're fully fit so will feel like just adding a body for the sake of it.

23 minutes ago, Rolta said:

And from what reliable source might that be? 🤓

Edit: just checked, so the Sunday Mirror! I remain open to the possibility of us spending any amount on any number of players.

Even £10 trillion on 900 players ?

3 hours ago, Eastie said:

Yes , there are other areas of the team far more a priority - Freddie will be ok 

The reality is we simply won't improve every single position in one transfer window. Heck when you consider all our transfers since 2010 even improving two areas of the team in the same window will be a huge success. No good having a RB who can whip in endless crosses if we still have the same strikerforce.

5 minutes ago, momo said:

Tom Carroll, Danny Drinkwater, James McCarthy... Dean Smiths signings.

This could be used in a textbook on the misleading nature of selective quotes.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1