Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

18 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Do people really think Guilbert, on the basis of last season, is good enough to be our starting RB? He has his moments, for sure, and he has potential but we shouldn't be relying on him—neither offensively or defensively. He should be fighting someone else and he can win the spot if he keeps improving.

Agree - looks very suspect. Good work rate sometimes hides a multitude of shortcomings. Wouldnt be in my starting 11.

• Like 1

I love Guilbert, but he's only good enough to be a backup/rotation option right now.  He could turn out to be a great RB, given time, but I think a new RB should be on our shopping list this summer.

1 Striker

2 Starting Wingers

1 Box to Box Midfielder

1 Right Back

1 Goalkeeper

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Reported to be available, Forest certainly need to trim the wage bill but would have thought it was the squad dud’s rather than their best players they’ll be looking to shift.

I’ve seen a lot of him the last couple of seasons, very good at that level but not sure I’d have him on our wish list.

Joe lolley ?

29 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Do people really think Guilbert, on the basis of last season, is good enough to be our starting RB? He has his moments, for sure, and he has potential but we shouldn't be relying on him—neither offensively or defensively. He should be fighting someone else and he can win the spot if he keeps improving.

I think he’s decent for a young player with the potential to be excellent. I think we could probably improve on every position but with Guilbert and Elmo both capable enough, RB would be well down my list.

Just now, Adam2003 said:

I think he’s decent for a young player with the potential to be excellent. I think we could probably improve on every position but with Guilbert and Elmo both capable enough, RB would be well down my list.

I'm not going to go on (don't want to get lad21 repetitionitis), but he'll be 26 in December.

• Like 3

We should at least look at (some only if good deals):

Diego Rico (DL/ML) (Age 27)  - Bournemouth

Kevin Mbabu (DR) (Age 25) - Wolfsburg

Omar Mascarell (DM) (Age 27) - Schalke

Baptiste Santamaria (DM)(Age 25) - Angers

Filip Kostic (LM/AML/LW)(Age 27) - Frankfurt

Domenico Beradi (AMR/RW/FW) (Age 26) - Sassulo

Gerard Deulofeu (AML/R/FW) (Age 26) - Watford

Milot Raschia (LW/AML)(Agre 24) - Werder Bremen

Emeliano Buendia (MR/AMR/RW) (Age 23) - Norwich

Also, players currently reported like James McCarthy for 5m, would be an excellent squad addition, we do need some depth building, especially if the compacted COVID related seasons mean games are closer, less recovery, more chance of injury etc.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, joshharris12 said:

Palace getting sarr from Watford 40 million why not villa? Typical 

Because they’re selling Zaha for the same price, aren’t willing to get 4-5 20-30m players. They’re in London, haven’t spent anything last summer.

14 minutes ago, joshharris12 said:

Palace getting sarr from Watford 40 million why not villa? Typical 

It's football news on a Sunday. Probably bollocks. And the reports themselves say 'Watford want Sarr' as far as I can see. So they're hardly 'getting' him.

21 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

Didn't El Ghazi take him apart at Wembley also lost him for the first goal. Seriously not impressed with him. Overrated me thinks!!

To be fair, he was an 18-year old playing in a Play-off final. Probably forgive him a little bit.

I think it's important to prioritise signings. We could all agree on 6/7 positions where we would like to be stronger, but we cant fill them all in the next month with the required quality.

For me the order us striker, winger, central defender. If we got 3 quality additions here, but improved the squad with sensibly priced back up, idbe ok with that. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Jbvilla909 said:

With Johan coming in, do we think we'll see any big name signings? Doesn't seem to fit with what he's done before. 

Depends on what you consider big? For me the most important thing is that we get quality players, we don’t have to fear much this time as last season we didn’t have experience at all. Now all of our players have atleast 1 PL experience in their belt. 

For me, Benrahma, Eze, Brooks, Buendia would be perfect signings. Any two of them. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rolta said:

I'm not going to go on (don't want to get lad21 repetitionitis), but he'll be 26 in December.

Not sure how old you are but sadly 25 seems young to me! Regardless - he’s done ok in his first season in the Premier League in a struggling side age 24-25. No reason to think he can’t continue getting better as he hits his peak with more experience at this level.

53 minutes ago, hippo said:

What does everyone think is the least we can spend - that means we aren't struggling next season .....

£60m for me -

I think unless we are incredibly lucky or brilliant in the recruitment of really gems that hit the ground running, which traditionally we are not in either department then for us then not to be struggling I would say £100m.  We need to get better than we have in striker, attacking creative player and CM.  I assume that would easily blow past £60m and I think at a minimum we need a bit of depth on the bench, so I think we could easily be touching £100m.  I would then expect some sales to offset some of that (not including main players like Grealish and co).  So net might be 70-80m if we are really lucky.

11 minutes ago, John said:

The Mail claim Leeds have enquired about Buendia, but Norwich want at least £25m. That sounds a decent price to me.

I would keep away from Buendia, poor man's Bannan. Light-weight and defensively abysmal. We don't have Pukki to make the clever runs for him.

3 minutes ago, vazquez said:

I would keep away from Buendia, poor man's Bannan. Light-weight and defensively abysmal. We don't have Pukki to make the clever runs for him.

Barry Bannan hasn't done too bad since he left us. ;) Hopefully we will sign someone to make those clever runs as well. 

1 hour ago, VillaCas said:

Moneyball is not “flipping players”

Using Data is Moneyball

I don't think the two lines are linked.  I took it as that we'll be using data, but it won't be "moneyball" - it'll be buying the best players available to us.

• Like 1