Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I think it is by a distance, it was what was making us shit in attack and defence, it was all coming from not being able to keep the ball which is largely due to God awful movement off the ball 

Luiz obviously came back a different player which makes a huge difference but if we play a midfield 3 then we could do with maybe another 2 midfielders, mcarthur at £5m and then a younger option

Hourihane and Nakamba are just about squad options, the others can and probably will all go, so unless we're changing it up and putting Jack in there again we really need a new midfielder 

couldn't agree with you more......a top quality CDM is a must for me.

The Engine Room.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, mikeyp102 said:

I think you have to get the blend right. A couple of experienced “boring” players, added with some exciting high potential. 

Haha.....I know what you mean.

except, I don't find them boring, more essential to me.......also, the type of players fans think of as exciting, need these players as a platform to play off.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I think you have to get the blend right. A couple of experienced “boring” players, added with some exciting high potential. 

I agree with this and what @JAMAICAN-VILLAN are saying.

I know it's not possible, but Harvey Elliott of Liverpool type player is what we're wanting to attract.

1 hour ago, Mjvilla said:

If I can have my 2 pennies worth. I think the CM position isn't one of our weakest. So spending a large chunk of money on improving it isn't needed. Not when you look at the huge holes across the rest of the squad.

Can we add some decent options in there for a relatively small fee so we don't have to use Lansbury. Have a reliable option in the middle in case of injury for a small fee. Makes so much sense it hurts.

Leaving more money to spend on where it's needed more.

I agree. I understand that our midfield played a part in our defensive frailties at times this year, but I'm a little confused by the prevailing opinion that this was the sole reason.  We had the 2nd worst defence for multiple reasons.

We shipped a ton of goals through set pieces, and through our defence's individual errors or inability to mark players.  Even Mings has dropped a few clangers. Konsa has started to deliver on the promise but is still young and learning. I don't rate Hause and am unsure of Engels.  Yes, we improved massively after the restart but I think it would be unwise to assume our defensive problems are now gone.

I'd prioritise a CF and two wingers. If we get those first, our midfield 3 (assuming we play Dean's favoured 433) would be Grealish, McGinn and Luiz, which is pretty strong, certainly much stronger than our first choice back 4.

We definitely lack depth in midfield, but personally I'd rather sign a first choice level CB or LB first.

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

What does everyone think is the least we can spend - that means we aren't struggling next season .....

£60m for me -

£100m. 3 marquee footballers. 3 record breaking transfers for ourselves. Eze, Benrahma and this mythical striker we need.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

What does everyone think is the least we can spend - that means we aren't struggling next season .....

£60m for me -

Kinda depends on how good our scouting is and a bit of luck.

£60m can get you a whole lot of quality, or it can get you f all.

I have no idea how our scouting is thb but I think we will need to spend a bit more than £60m to make us really competitive.

• Like 1

McCarthy I have no problem with his character and is an upgrade on Lanbsbury, Drinkwater and maybe Nakamba but I would want players to sign for us that are first team players and not squad players

• Like 2

Just now, Zatman said:

McCarthy I have no problem with his character and is an upgrade on Lanbsbury, Drinkwater and maybe Nakamba but I would want players to sign for us that are first team players and not squad players

It’s a squad game, our current bench is nowhere near good enough in my opinion 

• Like 1

I wrote this a day before the West Ham game (based on survival) and decided to post now - updated slightly on those who have also since left.

The *players* are a pure 'fantasy wish list' I posted a few pages back based on positions I feel need or could need filled throughout the window.   {^Left the club^)

*Pope*   (sell Kalanic) 
                   Heaton
                   Nyland
                   Steer       {^Sarkic & Reina^}

Guilbert      *Taunzebe*  Mings     Targett
Elmohamedy   Konsa       Engles     Hause 
(Loan/Sell Bree)   {^Chester^}      (Sell Taylor)

*Lookman*     McGinn     Luiz    *Delufeou*
 Vassilev    Marvellous   *_____*     El Ghazi
(Sell Jota)(Sell Lansbury)(Sell Hourihane)
(Sell Trez)            {^Drinkwater^}        

Grealish

*Benrahma*  *Abraham*
                          Wesley        Davis
                  (Sell Samatta)  (Sell Hogan)

Over all I wouldn't be suprised to see around 12 or so players leave in total and possibly 6 or 7 new arrivals.

It wouldn't be too much of an overhaul and keeps much of the foundations of the team who have a season in this league under their belts.

If we can build on this and compliment what we already have then we can hope to start looking around the dizzy heights of mid table this season hopefully.

Edit:  All of the *players* mentioned also have atleast a season experience of playing in the Premier League and also have futher potential in them.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

Note a lot being said about Premiership experience. All of Villa’s first team have Premiership experience now and improved after lockdown. Villa need good technical players to play in the way that Smith wants. Heard Smith repeatedly stating about instilling a philosophy at the club which takes time after securing Premiership status. I would therefore expect to see more technically gifted players being signed who are comfortable on the ball.

Concerning Stones always felt he would eventually be a better midfielder in the mould of say a Michael Carrick than a defender.

Edited by striker

3 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Moneyball is not “flipping players”

Using Data is Moneyball

It's another load of beige from Evans. It says absolutely nothing that article.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1