Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

7 minutes ago, Digavilla said:

If Deulofeu can recover fm his ACL , he would be my first choice’s signing , their best player & probably wouldn’t gone down if he wasn’t injured. 

Yeah I like Deulofeu. I'd prefer Sarr purely because he's younger and not coming back from a serious injury, but would take either of them or both if it's possible. Both are lightning quick wingers which would allow us to counter attack much more effectively. 

The Deulofeu of the 18/19 season who scored 10 league goals would be a massive upgrade to what we have. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

There are Premier League experienced players which are decent, There are Premier League experienced players which are sh*t.

We need to be avoiding the latter and signing those that are deemed 'better quality' with a bit of a life in the tank who can benefit us and offer something to the cause. Not someone who's looking for a last pay day etc.

So I agree, if we are linked with sh*t then I am in agreement with fellow Villans that are opposed to signing such 'shit players'.

For every Neil Taylor and Danny Drinkwater there are Nathen Redmond's and Gerard Delufeou's.

It's about signing the right PL quality, not the "mutton dressed as lamb" sort.

Harsh bracketing Neil Taylor with Danny Drinkwater, that would be harsh on me! I agree though, PL experience fair enough but not enough alone, it has to come with quality too. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Harsh bracketing Neil Taylor with Danny Drinkwater, that would be harsh on me! I agree though, PL experience fair enough but not enough alone, it has to come with quality too. 

In a nutshell Dave. They were the first two names I could think of as an example.

Absolutely though, quality, not quantity, can be just as effective.

• Like 1

I think we will start to see things moving over the next few days. I wonder whether the continued involvement of Brentford in the Play offs is slowing things down? Whatever, we still have 2 weeks before the start of pre season so plenty of time to get things sorted. I expect to see at least 3 new signings before we start up again.

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

All this talk of signing players with Premier League experience is a load of bollocks if you ask me. I’m also fully aware that this might be an unpopular opinion.

Eze, Benrahma and Watkins don’t have Premier League experience and I’d take them all day long. 

To some degree I agree that Championship players are an option. There's obviously talent there that can take the step up. Konsa even proved that with us. There is however that argument about Konsa that he took almost 10 months to get to grips with PL football. We can't afford signing 3-4 championship players now who will take a season to get up to speed. One or two is fine, but that's kinda it. 

I don't fancy James McCarthy mind. This reminds me of Danny Drinkwater mkII, and I am kinda worried Deano was the brain behind the first one. 

There are going to be a lot of clubs that will need to sell players during this window for financial reasons. We should be able to buy 4 top quality first team starters at home and abroad for £20m - £40m, that would otherwise have been priced significantly higher by their clubs. We should also look to pick up some of the best young talent that is around for £5m - £10m or less, from clubs that would otherwise want to hold onto their best young players.

The sooner we act the better. Clubs will want their future secured early on and we need to act before other teams with money do. A couple of early deals will show intent to prospective signings and to our existing players. Get it done Villa and don't dawdle!   

• Like 2

I would be more than happy with James McCarthy.

He's a good player, with PL experience who could do a job in our midfield and add some depth in the area.

£5 million for a player with his experience and quality means it is risk free and bolsters us in an area where we are already fairly strong.

This then leaves us with the bulk of the transfer budget to strengthen in areas of weakness.

His wages aren't an issue, Drinkwater is off the books, and Lansbury is one year away from also being gone.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I think we will start to see things moving over the next few days. I wonder whether the continued involvement of Brentford in the Play offs is slowing things down? Whatever, we still have 2 weeks before the start of pre season so plenty of time to get things sorted. I expect to see at least 3 new signings before we start up again.

If as I suspect Brentford go up, then we may be back to square one on Tuesday. We need to get working on the clubs that are ready to do deals now. I hope that as you say, we will start to see things moving (including the socially distanced chairs for several press conferences) over the next few days. 

Just now, omariqy said:

Where?

ASTON VILLA  are considering a summer swoop for Liverpool sriker Divock Origi.

Villa boss Dean Smith is desperate to improve his attacking options following the club’s successful battle to avoid relegation from the Premier League.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/12291624/ason-villa-divock-origi-liverpool/

The Sun... nothing to see here...

• Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

All this talk of signing players with Premier League experience is a load of bollocks if you ask me. I’m also fully aware that this might be an unpopular opinion.

Eze, Benrahma and Watkins don’t have Premier League experience and I’d take them all day long. 

We just need to focus on signing GOOD players regardless of where they currently play. If the scouting is done correctly, then you’ll find better value on the continent than players like Iheanacho and McCarthy on big wages.

Just because we signed Engels, Nakamba, Wesley and Trezeguet and made a balls of it the first time around, it doesn’t mean we can’t still scout these leagues for players. You just have to actually find the GOOD ones. The Trezeguet signing was baffling as he didn’t even look good on YouTube.

Not sure about Watkins. He is nearly 25 and not achieved anything ahead of this season. He has the potential to be another Hogan. He does appear to have the attributes but I think we can do better for the money.

I would love Benrahma though. He looks a player.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Gerard Delufeou is surely a decent shout for us. 

He’s utterly brilliant when he can be arsed, but he’s always come across as a bit hot and cold for me. That said, I’d be excited if we got him. I think Origi would be a decent shout as well. McCarthy I don’t know much about but he does have the experience that we’re lacking.

Benrahma looks like a skillfull fanny to me, I think we’d have an ego on our hands and I’m not convinced.

Edited by ChinlessWonder
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

We just need to focus on signing GOOD players regardless of where they currently play. If the scouting is done correctly, then you’ll find better value on the continent than players like Iheanacho and McCarthy on big wages.

Just because we signed Engels, Nakamba, Wesley and Trezeguet and made a balls of it the first time around, it doesn’t mean we can’t still scout these leagues for players. You just have to actually find the GOOD ones. The Trezeguet signing was baffling as he didn’t even look good on YouTube.

Essentially we mustn’t be rigid in our thinking like we were last year, when we only wanted to sign young players with potential and didn’t use the loan system to our advantage. 

I’ve no problem with the basic principle of buying potential or of buying PL experience, but it shouldn’t be a rigidly kept mantra. We need balance, some potential, some experience and some PL experience perhaps, which I can see the argument for. However if they’re good enough and we do proper due diligence regarding their personalities and character then it doesn’t matter where they’re from. Any player from anywhere can take time to settle. 

You got it spot on when you said, “We just need to focus on signing GOOD players”. That might be obvious but I think we sometimes complicate things. 

• Like 2

The Sun, whose methodology is to evoke emotions in their readers with bullshit. This time with Origi, it's excitement. On another day, closer to the front of the paper, it's something else.