Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

We ended the season with a dramatically tighter defence - why would we try and change that next season? We won't. Other than maybe Reina, we'll not be spending on the back, other than a Taylor replacement. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So Wes’ chances in front of goal are harder by my rereading of the xG classification. I had thought it was his goal scoring prowess but it’s more how easy the chances are when he does strike.

It's also chances. Wes averaged 1.79 shots per 90 while Iheanacho averaged 3.32. The more shots you're getting off, the higher your xG is going to be. I've attached a radar chart comparing the two of them last season.

Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 3.45.33 PM.png

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

We ended the season with a dramatically tighter defence - why would we try and change that next season? We won't. Other than maybe Reina, we'll not be spending on the back, other than a Taylor replacement. 

I think also Engels will go and we'll try and sign an experienced CB to help our younger ones. Can see us being in for a RB too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VillaHatesMe said:

It's also chances. Wes averaged 1.79 shots per 90 while Iheanacho averaged 3.32. The more shots you're getting off, the higher your xG is going to be. I've attached a radar chart comparing the two of them last season.

Thanks, appreciate it.  

It’s understandable given we were in relegation battle and they were third for much of the season.

• Like 1

Iheanacho needs to be part of a 2 up front. We don't play that way, he isnt fast and has played with top 4 players all season. Mickey quinn was a bogey forward against us but dear God none of us would have picked him for our side. 

Unless we are playing 2 up front next season it's a no thanks from me.

• Like 2

just to add, looked like Tammy's last game for Chelsea to me. Did NOT look happy in the slightest. Why would he be, he's young and wants to play. Where better than at the club who respects and values him in claret and blue ? 

Cant see him wanting to be 3rd choice and can see him coming to us on same wages as jack. He just needs to be appreciated and being joint with jack I think he would accept, it won't be down to being about 125k pw it will be down to being level with who he thinks he is comparable to. I'm sure several other Chelsea players are on far far more than 125k pw

Edited by brummybloke
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

anyone would think Iheanacho might be playing for a high chance creating top 6 club, where Wesley played for a bottom 4 club.......

Not the entire background ofc, but lets not pretend playing as a striker for Leicester or Villa, wouldnt have had some impact on these stats.

2 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Iheanacho would be ok as an improvement on Samatta, but I don't see him being that next level striker that we need to push on next season.

I'd be fine with him as second choice but we really desperately need a striker to make this site melt down like Darren Bent did. We need a statement signing striker.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

anyone would think Iheanacho might be playing for a high chance creating top 6 club, where Wesley played for a bottom 4 club.......

Not the entire background ofc, but lets not pretend playing as a striker for Leicester or Villa, wouldnt have had some impact on these stats.

I'm not pretending anything of the sort. I've argued on Wesley's behalf in this very thread. He was improving before he got hurt. I'm only sharing these numbers because of the discussion about Iheanacho and whether or not he's better than the options we have. The numbers suggest he is. And, yes, playing for Leicester certainly helps him compared to playing here, but that alone isn't responsible for the disparity in those numbers.

• Like 2

Completely forgot about him until he came on for Arsenal but what about Sokratis? They said he was leaving Arsenal and he's a vastly experienced CB, playing for Milan, Bremen and Dortmund in last decade before coming to Arsenal. 90 caps for Greece.

Would be that experienced head at the back and think he'd combine well with Mings. Two year deal etc.

• Like 2

this is our chance, our chance to keep jack ( sign tammy for hopefully 30 million) to sign 2 top quality midfielder players central (one out wide) and a solid if unspectacular left back to challenge targett. 

Spunk 120 on 4 players then 2 up and coming ones.

A turn over of 4 first team players is not massive and if the quality is there it should make a huge difference.

A striker who you have confidence in who will fight and defend from the front is something we don't have.

A fast skillfully powerful winger such as sarr we don't have

Another tough tackler in the middle and there's a few around who are young and talented means a top 3 of sarr, jack and tammy.

A midfield of mcginn louis (in the defensive midfield role in front of our defence like the last 10 games) and a new tough tackler who can pass gives support to the forward 3 while protecting the back 4 we already have.

Edited by brummybloke
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Mings gets injured and we're back to conceding 2/3 goals a game I bet. A good DM coming in would help of course.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Completely forgot about him until he came on for Arsenal but what about Sokratis? They said he was leaving Arsenal and he's a vastly experienced CB, playing for Milan, Bremen and Dortmund in last decade before coming to Arsenal. 90 caps for Greece.

Would be that experienced head at the back and think he'd combine well with Mings. Two year deal etc.

Sharing without comment 😂

Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 4.22.08 PM.jpg

8 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

I'd be fine with him as second choice but we really desperately need a striker to make this site melt down like Darren Bent did. We need a statement signing striker.

Other than Danny Ings - I don't see who that could be.

For want of a better phrase we seem to have had our fingers burnt with the overseas unknowns (Wesley and Samatta) - so don't see a big fee overseas striker...

Imo Tammy would have a lot of suitors and command a massive wage......

So you're down to calumn Wilson and inhemnacho ....

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Good shout - just what we need at the back...

18 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Iheanacho would be ok as an improvement on Samatta, but I don't see him being that next level striker that we need to push on next season.

They’re want silly money for him too. Leicester want to offload to make signing of their own but paid big bucks to City for him. Hence why he was offered to us in Jan. 

• Like 2