Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

We aren't going to go from a team that barely survived on 35 points to a comfortable midtable team by keeping things as they are and making a few signings, bearing in mind that not every signing works out and the other teams will be strengthening their teams as well.

We either needed to bring in a better coach to get better out of the players we already have with a few additions, or keep Smith and sign as many players as possible better than the ones we already have. I think people are being naive if they think we're going to improve that much with the same team, same manager, and only four additions, unless those four additions were genuine proven top quality, befitting of a club serious of challenging for a top half finish.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, useless said:

We aren't going to go from a team that barely survived on 35 points to a comfortable midtable team by keeping things as they are and making a few signings, bearing in mind that not every signing works out and the other teams will be strengthening their teams as well.

We either needed to bring in a better coach to get better out of the players we already have with a few additions, or keep Smith and sign as many players as possible better than the ones we already have. I think people are being naive if they think we're going to improve that much with the same team, same manager, and only four additions, unless those four additions were genuine proven top quality, befitting of a club serious of challenging for a top half finish.

I think we need 4 new players for the starting XI alone. When you look at the bench and see El Ghazi Lansbury and Nakamba, you realise that it's at least another 3 signings for the squad depth. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, av1 said:

I think more than one person was using the MM login. 

His early posts were grammatically very good, towards the end they looked like they had been written by a 5yr old. 

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Wasn’t there a theory that it was Gabby? 

It was actually one person and it definitely wasn't Gabby 😂

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, useless said:

four quality first team additions, is literally 40% of the outfield, changing 40% of a teams outfield with better players will have a large effect on most teams.

Add this to the fact that (and some might disagree with me), that 40% of our outfield first 11 are good enough for the Prem without doubt / or good enough with continued development (Mings, Konsa, McGinn, Grealish)

for example, if you offered me this first 11 at the start of the new season, i would bite your hand off:

Heaton

Guilbert - Konsa - Mings - Targett

Luiz - Doucoure - McGinn

Buendia - New quality Striker - Grealish

trying to be realistic (and not state unrealistic names), i would look at:

1) GK - (to cover until Heaton is back/challenge Heaton)

2) Doucoure

3) 2nd MC (Santamaria or similar?)

4) Deulefou (depends on injury)

5) Buendia

6) New Striker (must be quality......)

46 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Reckon Billing could compete with McGinn? Would at least add some physique. 

We don't need anyone to compete with McGinn. For me, he is a definite starter and one of our very best players. Someone to play alongside him or to provide cover for him is however, a different matter.

• Like 1

Is it true were to make an offer on Christian Luyindama wasn't we linked last season with him??

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 2

Not every signing works out, it's not as simple as sign four players and the team will be transformed, and as I stated other teams will be improving their teams as well. If we were to only make four signings they'd certainly have to be of an higher quality than some of the names being mentioned in here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thunderball said:

Not sure if its been mentioned on here but there is a strong rumour that we are closing on Karlan Grant (22y.o. Huddersfield Town Striker) for circa £10m. Talented boy, good competition, hope there is a bigger name in mind too.

Interesting, wonder if we might send Davis there on season long loan. Would make lots of sense.

1 hour ago, El-Reacho said:

Hairyhands called Benteke signing a new contract on a summer Friday afternoon when it was almost certain he was off to Spurs. I think he also leaked a team sheet the night before a game and then shortly after Ian Culverhouse was sacked.... I think Culverhouse might've been Paul Lambert's brother in law IIRC.

Mysteryman called the Darren Bent signing a couple of years before that.

I remember TheTrees following Lerner's plane to Norway when we supposedly offered the job to Solksjaer and he turned us down before McLeish came in. Good times🤔

Hairyhands was certainly based at the training ground. He randomly posted one Friday something bad had happened to Kozak...two hours later news of his broken leg was announced. I always thought it was Gary Karsa. Certainly was an interesting few months.

16 minutes ago, Knutserov13 said:

Why keep people saying we should sign Billing? Ok, I get that hes kind of big and has a presence on the pitch. But on the other hand, hes also kind of a shit player.

He's not even a DM. People seem to look at him as big and gangly and assume he's a defensive player but don't think he's ever played there in his career.

He's more of a McGinn type but I'd stick with SJM thanks. Can also play Luiz there if needs be.