Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

38 minutes ago, punkymonkey666 said:

Any links to this?

All I have seen is that the UEFA rules have been relaxed (only clubs in Europa and Champs League affected) and even then, clubs have to prove the losses are directly incurred due to COVID.  It's not licence to overspend.

Uefa sources confirmed that clubs would be allowed losses in excess of €30m as long as they show this was caused by falls in revenues because of the shutdown. Clubs will be able to cope with their own increased losses however they responsibly can, including by owners putting money in, either in loans or shares. Uefa said these emergency measures were intended to “give clubs more time to quantify and account for unanticipated loss of revenues”.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jun/18/uefa-agree-to-suspend-financial-fair-play-rules-due-to-pandemic

I think from memory of reading the final detailed thing it was slightly more relaxed than that and included not only fall in revenues but impacts to costs and other items.  This is where the creative accounting comes in within reason, the failure of the Man City case CoA and the Pandemic, also I'm expecting the difference between loss and loss that is covered by owners will be more lenient.

In terms of the Premier League rules, the meeting was expected to be in June, which intended to relax the rules they have which are generally more lenient than UEFA anyway.  I am struggling to find the outcome of that but that was intended to be completed before end of season/start of the transfer window so maybe I have just missed it.

Going back to the UEFA thing, I cant pull up the rules but wasnt the two seasons, this and next also to be combined, which is further to the three years the assessment is over.

I'll try and dig later but why i agree it doesnt mean an open book, from all I have read there is a lot more leeway this close season more than any other and when you give accountants the flexibility of an exclusion line on profit, you damn well know we are going to use it as much as possible within reason especially as this is for Sport rules and not published accounts.  Also the PL and UEFA will be more wary given the Man City CoA outcome.

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

Nothing wrong with squad options, but we need a solid and settled spine to work with - I'd move Jack into McGinn's role and McGinn into Hourihane's, keeping Luiz where he is. Wesley as striker, 2 wingers/attacking players to come in. I wouldn't touch the first XI outside of the that. 

Are you seriously okay with starting the new season with Wesley as our main reliable striker.. i have serious doubts on your expectations on our club with all respect of course. We cannot start the season with wesley he will be replaced and will have to prove his worth coming off the bench , the spine is kept the same apart from wesley which isnt bad, it does not cause any disruption to the squad by replacing 4 players in our starting XI . This is the amount needed to change the dimension on how we shape our future, I believe strengthening in those positions will push us into a top 12 finish ( Dependant on who comes in of course ) but I believe 4 positions will need to change in order to kick on . I love the club and believe in the club so sorry for being ambitious however it is realistic too. 

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Watched a few Wolfsburg games when Bundesliga restarted and thought Mbabu was superb for them. He's an RB and would be an upgrade on what we had in the position. Was at Newcastle 4-5 years ago but it didn't really work out and he had off the field issues but he'd be much better now.

That's plenty of good players around in Bundesliga. Mentioned Leon Bailey before, got the Rashica fanboys on here and he isn't bad and Kevin Volland is a decent striker for Leverkusen who they might want to cash in on given he's 28 tomorrow.

Mbabu is definitely a better player than Rousillon. I think he'd be awesome in the Premier League. I prefer Rashica over Bailey because Bailey's temperament and work rate is a bit questionable and Rashica's definitely is not.

But totally agree, there are so many players from the Bundesliga who would improve us. Kostic from Frankfurt would amazing. He's everything I hoped Trezeguet would be.

Loads of good centre backs too. Would love Robin Koch from Freiburg.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Silent_Bob said:

Haven't seen him play. Does he do a lot of running?

Despite his name, he is pretty pacy... 30 years old, Italy international... Good experience at a lot of top European clubs including Dortmund, Sevilla and now Lazio...
He has scored 100 goals in 140-odd appearances for Lazio since 2016... So not a bad little player and considering he is on the older side, we might be able to get him a wee bit cheaper

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

As I posted in the Wesley thread, I think people are far too fixated on strikers. I'd be looking to spend our money on 2 wide forwards - I'd be much happier with Buendia and Benrahma than Tammy, for example. 

Think we need to improve in both areas. 

If we just bought the wingers then sorry but we won't score many goals still.

Striker options of Wesley, Davis and Samatta juts isnt going to cut it. Samatta and Davis had plenty of chances between them in these last 10 games after lockdown and neither looked to have the ability.

Wesley I think is the best out of the 3 but we don't know how bad this injury is yet and he may come back needing a lot of time to get ready again, might even breakdown again like what happened with Kodjia then never get back to that level again.

We need to buy 2 proper strikers and then have Wesley as the 3rd choice, I'm happy for the other 2 to leave to be honest, whether on loan or permanent don't really care but neither will be good enough for next season.

5 minutes ago, momo616 said:

as others have said I wouldn't mind getting Billing in from Bournemouth it would be nice to have a big physical presence in the midfield.

Two relegations in a row scares me...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VillaAlex said:

I think Smith's be a good teammate mentality would rule us signing him. He abandoned his own teammates in a relegation fight for his own interests. Some would argue that's the right thing to do incase of injury and short playing careers but I can't see us going near him.

If McGinn & Mings have good things to say about him, we may move for him.  I don't get this whole "bad teammate" narrative.  He's probably been making well below his worth at Bournemouth and they most likely tried to lowball his contract renewal, so he's going to be asking for a large contract, while he's in his prime...  No issues with that.  On a free and he's much better than both Trez & AEG.

11 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Mbabu is definitely a better player than Rousillon. I think he'd be awesome in the Premier League. I prefer Rashica over Bailey because Bailey's temperament and work rate is a bit questionable and Rashica's definitely is not.

But totally agree, there are so many players from the Bundesliga who would improve us. Kostic from Frankfurt would amazing. He's everything I hoped Trezeguet would be.

Loads of good centre backs too. Would love Robin Koch from Freiburg.

Said before but Jonathan Tah hasn't progressed as much in last two years as expected. I reckon Leverkusen would sell him on as they signed Taposoba who played really well and Tah was benched in most games.

Got similar qualities to Mings so could be a decent pick up.

11 minutes ago, momo616 said:

as others have said I wouldn't mind getting Billing in from Bournemouth it would be nice to have a big physical presence in the midfield.

People think Billing is some DM but he never played thatp position at Bournemouth, it was always Lerma at DM.And at Huddersfield the midfield construction was Hogg-Billing-Mooy.

He's box to box but I really don't think he's better than McGinn or even Luiz if we play him in that position. Would just be an expensive squad player imo. I do agree for the need of my physical presence in midfield though.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Just looking through the squad again, it’s clear that we need major strengthening. We desperately lack quality & depth, never really have any options off the bench either.

We also need to get rid of a few, not too many, but offload those who are no use to us.

We will, again, need a new keeper. Nyland has to go, he’s a nervous wreck & there’s no point wasting more time on him. We need reliability. Heaton should be first choice if fit but both he & Steer are injury prone and that’s a real concern.

Again, we need a new front 3 who will drastically improve on what we have.

Beyond that, we need worthwhile options and alternatives in other positions to cover injuries and to provide competition.

A lot of work to do (we need at least 5 top players imo) and money to be spent if we want to be competitive and have a much better season...

We barely survived, even with easily the best player in the bottom half, and that just shows how much we severely lack quality. It’s going to take a hell of a lot for us to make the required “jump up“. Hope all concerned at the club are going all out to ensure we don’t struggle again...

I agree with this but it can be done ✅ 6 players with some ambitious buys in that mix and we can try and get ourselves much further up that table . Davis and Samatta will have to leave loan or buy not fussed . We are always beaten to the punch when it comes to signing a certain calibre of players but i hope our new recruitment team can attract some of these players to us. I like Smith but im interested to see if he could get the best out of the new players that would come in

Still think Baptiste SantaMaria is the centre mid we should prioritise. He gives us presence and class.

For a RB our 'sister' club Vitoria SC has a speed merchant in their ranks. Falaye Sacko, although he scored an amazing own goal recently. Raw but with another season of Elmo he could progress well and with good competition from Guilbert.

Patson Daka from RB Salzburg has excellent potential and can cover all 3 front roles although he excels as a LF , his teammate Noah Okafor will be cheaper but is more of a winger. 

I suppose what worries me the most is clubs like Everton and West Ham have spent huge sums of cash on fairly big name (ish) players who have largely been average or terrible. Which goes to show that waxing 30-40 mil doesn't really get you much these days.

I think some of our signings will get better and should be kept, but we need re-enforcements in every area of the team just to give us a foundation to build on, presuming our key players stay.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RicRic said:

Where we are at the moment, Mate we dont want to stay where we are the moment we need to improve and cement ourselves,  6 players is not a lot of players especially when I haven’t mentioned them all starting at the same time, you need to look at transfer windows and see most clubs average 6 signings even the clubs that dont need to even improve .. believe me its a MUST! So yes we need 6!!!!!

Whilst I agree, I am not suggesting we sign four players to compete with existing players. 

id expect those four players to be good enough to simply push McGinn, Targett etc straight to the bench. 

each signing should be £30m+ and that’s getting you to £120m Straight away. 

Maybe I’ve misjudged our financial situation and FFP but not sure whether we have £200m to smash on a whole squad who will take a fair while to gel. 

id much rather go straight for the best players we can, rather than find 9-10 potentials to do the job better than those we currently have. 

• Like 1