Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

4 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

Suggestions taken from the top of my head.

Dwight McNeil

Ross Barkley

Jonjo Shelvey

Daniel Brooks

Ruben Loftus-Cheek

All proven in this league all would improve us with the added benefit of us actually knowing they can perform. What reasons are there for not getting any of them I'm sure people will know...

Shelvey is a good shout. Not in the sense that I rate him highly. Just a solid PL player who might not command a massive fee.

Edited by hippo

Just looking through the squad again, it’s clear that we need major strengthening. We desperately lack quality & depth, never really have any options off the bench either.

We also need to get rid of a few, not too many, but offload those who are no use to us.

We will, again, need a new keeper. Nyland has to go, he’s a nervous wreck & there’s no point wasting more time on him. We need reliability. Heaton should be first choice if fit but both he & Steer are injury prone and that’s a real concern.

Again, we need a new front 3 who will drastically improve on what we have.

Beyond that, we need worthwhile options and alternatives in other positions to cover injuries and to provide competition.

A lot of work to do (we need at least 5 top players imo) and money to be spent if we want to be competitive and have a much better season...

We barely survived, even with easily the best player in the bottom half, and that just shows how much we severely lack quality. It’s going to take a hell of a lot for us to make the required “jump up“. Hope all concerned at the club are going all out to ensure we don’t struggle again...

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Gillz said:

Ryan Fraser: 120 PL games - 16 goals and 29 assists. 

Could do a lot worse for on a free

I think Smith's be a good teammate mentality would rule us signing him. He abandoned his own teammates in a relegation fight for his own interests. Some would argue that's the right thing to do incase of injury and short playing careers but I can't see us going near him.

52 minutes ago, lexicon said:

As I posted in the Wesley thread, I think people are far too fixated on strikers. I'd be looking to spend our money on 2 wide forwards - I'd be much happier with Buendia and Benrahma than Tammy, for example. 

Personally think we need to strengthen in all 3 forward positions. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, MCU said:

Hasn't had chance has he. 

How backwards is Hendrick.. behave yourself.

hasnt had the chance cos he aint good enough to get even a run off the bench

41 minutes ago, nick76 said:

FFP relaxed this summer due to COVID.  It was agreed a couple of months ago and reported.

Any links to this?

All I have seen is that the UEFA rules have been relaxed (only clubs in Europa and Champs League affected) and even then, clubs have to prove the losses are directly incurred due to COVID.  It's not licence to overspend.

Uefa sources confirmed that clubs would be allowed losses in excess of €30m as long as they show this was caused by falls in revenues because of the shutdown. Clubs will be able to cope with their own increased losses however they responsibly can, including by owners putting money in, either in loans or shares. Uefa said these emergency measures were intended to “give clubs more time to quantify and account for unanticipated loss of revenues”.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jun/18/uefa-agree-to-suspend-financial-fair-play-rules-due-to-pandemic

2 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Laughable isn’t it?

Many fans called our our recruitment, saying we needed more Prem experience. But when genuine (but unspectacular) Prem players are mentioned, they’re scoffed at. 

If it was some silky winger from a more fashionable club then I’m sure it’d be accepted a bit more.

Regardless of who we're looking at, it should be a case of does he improve our squad? Does Hendrick? Yes. Is there better available? Probably but can we get them? He's better than all of the CM/DM at the club apart from the midfield that started on Sunday (I would say he's better than Hourihane actually if all things are taken into account).

I understand we all want Aston Villa to be successful and challenging for things and to do that you need the very best players. Hendrick might not be one but a lot of his perceived limitations, IMO, are due to the two teams he's most famous for playing with - Burnley and Ireland. Two teams where midfielders do not shine (hopefully Ireland change under the new manager). He's a decent technical midfielder who works very hard and can produce moments of quality. If he were here I think he'd find a bit of form and come somewhere close to providing performances of the sort that McGinn produces.

1 minute ago, Mjvilla said:

He's good enough to be a regular in a team that finished the season very strongly and mid table.

Who would you start him over in our 11?

Just now, Mjvilla said:

He's good enough to be a regular in a team that finished the season very strongly and mid table.

So is Westwood 😉

Hendrick for me runs a lot, tactically disciplined but he isnt very good. Has been dreadful for Ireland in last 3 years when he should have been stepping up as a senior player. He will get a big move as on a Bosman but will be another Sidwell

A midfielder being better than Lansbury shouldn't be reason enough for us to sign them, he should be replaced in the squad by someone like Hourihane or Nakamba and they in their turn should be replaced in the starting eleven with someone with as much quality as possible to compliment Luiz and McGinn, someone close to their ability.

• Like 1

Just now, MCU said:

Who would you start him over in our 11?

I wouldn't. That's not what I was saying or what the argument was.

But you saying Lansbury is better than him is absolute pish.

• Like 1

Hendrick has been playing on the right wing for Burnley. Think people are only suggesting him because he's been linked to AC Milan. He wouldn't even get in our first eleven ahead of Hourihane.

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

So is Westwood 😉

Hendrick for me runs a lot, tactically disciplined but he isnt very good. Has been dreadful for Ireland in last 3 years when he should have been stepping up as a senior player. He will get a big move as on a Bosman but will be another Sidwell

That's absolutely fair enough. But he's better than lansbury, which is what was an outrageous claim a few pages back.

This is my argument, I'm not trying to say we should sign him at all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Think Sarr was £25mil but that's the going rate these days for a good PL winger so we'll have to pay it for someone else if we don't for him. I'm not sure on our budget but let's say it's around £100-120mil (hopefully it's a bit more), we'll probably be looking at 5 players at an average of £20-25mil per player. Remember AEG and Trez were c. £10mil but as seen are not at the standard needed to play week in week out in this league (though I'd keep as squad options). 

I like Sarr, he's stupidly quick and 5 goals in 28 games for a struggling team who were rock bottom for nearly half the season in his first season in this league is good going. He was certainly in their top 3 performers this season and given his age I think he has the potential to be a top winger in this league. If he was available at £25mil I'd be astounded if we weren't interested.

I personally would make Sarr, Rashica and Benrahma our top three targets for the wide positions. Though a really marquee signing in this area would be nice too.

There are plenty of good wide players abroad. Maybe not the best example but we got in El Ghazi for just 7m although of course at top level he's not that great. Newcastle signed Saint Maximin for about 18m I think so there's a good guide if you scout well enough at mid table clubs in Germany, Spain or Italy where they won't be earning that much to what players in England are getting.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Okonokos said:

Pretty sure that account is just another liar. I've not been that impressed with Roussillon whenever I've seen him though, certainly not £25m impressed. I'd probably say Targett is the better player of the two.

Watched a few Wolfsburg games when Bundesliga restarted and thought Mbabu was superb for them. He's an RB and would be an upgrade on what we had in the position. Was at Newcastle 4-5 years ago but it didn't really work out and he had off the field issues but he'd be much better now.

That's plenty of good players around in Bundesliga. Mentioned Leon Bailey before, got the Rashica fanboys on here and he isn't bad and Kevin Volland is a decent striker for Leverkusen who they might want to cash in on given he's 28 tomorrow.

27 minutes ago, useless said:

A midfielder being better than Lansbury shouldn't be reason enough for us to sign them, he should be replaced in the squad by someone like Hourihane or Nakamba and they in their turn should be replaced in the starting eleven with someone with as much quality as possible to compliment Luiz and McGinn, someone close to their ability.

In an ideal world, we would only ever sign players to go into the first team, which would push players into a bench role, and push the bench player to the squad (or out the door).

But that’s not how football works. Sometimes you see what’s available and how you can spread better quality around the whole squad.

Hendrick or Fraser (or another unspectacular free transfer) coming in and pushing Lansbury out the club or Davis out on loan, is not a bad move. We’re not just going to spend £100m+ on 4 players (Front 3 & CM) and not bring in any other players if there are reasonable options out there.

• Like 1