Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

14 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Clubs do not, on average,  replace six first team players a season. That's nuts and it's the reason we struggled so much at the beginning of the season - this time we don't have to do it and we absolutely shouldn't. 

In any case, where we are 'now' is somewhat subjective, and our form in the last 10 games or so is not that of a relegation battler. We need two attacking first team players MAX, as things stand. Beyond that, getting in a couple of decent squad players could be an option, but rocking the boat massively is madness. 

Who could argue we need two wingers and a striker at least? If we don't improve the quality there we'll be battling all over again.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Clubs do not, on average,  replace six first team players a season. That's nuts and it's the reason we struggled so much at the beginning of the season - this time we don't have to do it and we absolutely shouldn't. 

In any case, where we are 'now' is somewhat subjective, and our form in the last 10 games or so is not that of a relegation battler. We need two attacking first team players MAX, as things stand. Beyond that, getting in a couple of decent squad players could be an option, but rocking the boat massively is madness. 

I think our issue was not the number of new signings but the number of new signings with no Premier or British league experience. We need to move the slider along the scale from "potential" more towards "experience" and I'm sure that's exactly what we are going to see.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Nothing wrong with squad options, but we need a solid and settled spine to work with - I'd move Jack into McGinn's role and McGinn into Hourihane's, keeping Luiz where he is. Wesley as striker, 2 wingers/attacking players to come in. I wouldn't touch the first XI outside of the that. 

I'm a massive fan of Wes but I think we need a top notch striker for a couple of reasons (somebody like Tammy). 

• We need another serious threat up front.  The difference Tammy made to the overall team with his goal scoring prowess was immense not only in terms of goals but also confidence
  • We need the option to play two upfront (I know not favoured by Smith at the moment)
  • If Wes doesnt continue to improve it wont be enough and we need goals
  • If we have an injury to either striker we are in trouble again
  • Samatta and Davis, are arguably questionable at best

I'm still not convinced Jack's best position is back in midfield, I think if he gets service, the inside forward really plays to his strengths and allows him to hover, stroll past people and create chances and even score goals.  I think he hasnt been as effective at times is due to us not having the players around him and also providing him service.  I think midfield stifles him somewhat, despite having more of the ball, he sometimes not in the dangerous zones enough to get the benefit from his ability.  I also think we need some big dude in midfield to compliment McGinn and Luiz.  Obviously the ideal person is a Patrick Vieira or Yaya Toure type, that gangly, big, tall strolling midfielder.

Therefore my preference, coming into the first team, are Striker, right inside forward, CM.  That's three.  

Grealish ----- "Tammy" -----  Another

McGinn-----------Luiz------------Another

As for Defence, I think we need 3 quality central defenders and I dont mind who starts....Mings, Konsa are two but I would like another real quality defender....either to start or at least compete with those two, plus poor form and injuries, then have Hause and Engels being back up.

As for the wing backs, I'm less fussed which goes contrary to most on this website.  Targett is good going forward but defensive is suspect.  I hate he holds too far away from right wingers and gives them more time but he seems ok generally.  On the right side, I like the option of Guilbert and Elmo, I dont mind that.

GK, I love Heaton, dont know when he's back so I'm not sure of that but he's my number one for next season.

So I'm only really changing 4 players in the first team and 6 overall.  I think if we dont, we are going to be fighting relegation again an while I understand too many changes can cause problems, I think we need to improve dramatically, especially going forwards and we need that extra dimension in central midfield.  As i said I dont see it as creating from scratch like last close season, I see it as adding/improving to the current squad to not only improve the first XI which is definitely needed but giving us more options when things are tough, we have injuries, players out of form plus options when we see deficiencies in the opposition.  I see sometimes moving to two upfront for example in some games and would see Tammy and Wes playing well together.

I think a light touch as you suggest might be ok but I think wouldnt move us forward much.  I also think that while FFP is relaxed this summer and other clubs are struggling with their finances because of COVID, that we could take real advantage that we wouldnt have another chance to do.  We could move two summers ahead in one summer because of this moment.  We need to take advantage now, so a bit extra now, yes may have some short term pain but definitely long term gain.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

I think our issue was not the number of new signings but the number of new signings with no Premier or British league experience. We need to move the slider along the scale from "potential" more towards "experience" and I'm sure that's exactly what we are going to see.

I'll agree that players with that kind of experience will take less time to settle, but the more new faces, the more it unbalances the side and further it sets us back. I think change needs to be more incremental than 6 new first teamers, regardless of their background. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Who could argue we need two wingers and a striker at least? If we don't improve the quality there we'll be battling all over again.

That's still half of what you were initially suggesting. 

I have faith in Wes tbf, which isn't a common sentiment it seems! 

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

I remember Purslow saying that we had used our budget to the max last summer, and that this summer wouldn't have much spending.

Can't see us spending much more than £50 million before we hit FFP constraints.

Of course we have to follow FFP but I’d be worried if we only spent that. Think it needs to be at least double but we may gain additional funds through sales if we as expected move on Lansbury, Taylor, Jota, etc. However, not sure they’ll fetch much unless we also move on the likes of Nakamba and Samatta for what we paid for them. I think it’s essential we keep Jack, even if someone offers our asking price of £80mil he’ll be so hard to replace. Though that does give us a lot to play around with.

mcNeil would definitely be a good shout, Burnley obviously finished top half but not sure they won’t struggle next season. He’s only 20 and will turn into a fantastic winger over the next few years.

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

That's still half of what you were initially suggesting. 

I have faith in Wes tbf, which isn't a common sentiment it seems! 

We need 2 quality strikers , I’m ok with Wesley being one of those but we need to sign a proven goal scorer this summer , and quality winger. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonjon said:

Thanks, but I think our lads have run themselves into the ground with 8 wins on the trot and have nothing left in the tank, I've got my fingers crosses for to night, but not holding my breath, in a strange way I enjoy the Championship, but would still like to get promoted to enable to watch the Premiership in our new stadium.

As for the Benrahma price, we all no that any prices quoted are generated and fueled by the press, I'm sure Brentford will settle for what price they put on his head, with perhaps a little wiggle room, the price paid will only truly be found when next seasons accounts are published, prices you see quoted must be taken with a pinch of salt, and would only give a rough guide,  if he goes anywhere, my wife being a long term Villa supporter of 60 years, hopes he comes to you.

Although I respect your wife jonjon, I'd love it if you were just a 20 year-old. That would amuse me no end. Anyway, given how much you've fleeced us on transfer fees recently is the new stadium named after us? Or a stand at least?

• Haha 1

Just now, Eastie said:

We need 2 quality strikers , I’m ok with Wesley being one of those but we need to sign a proven goal scorer this summer , and quality winger. 

As I posted in the Wesley thread, I think people are far too fixated on strikers. I'd be looking to spend our money on 2 wide forwards - I'd be much happier with Buendia and Benrahma than Tammy, for example. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some Premier League experience, please.

People always seem to knock that kind of policy, but our last two Premier league seasons have shown that even signing a lot of promising players (many of whom have gone on to do very well) often doesn't work. Experience helps a lot with mentality. You can see from players comments, they felt immense pressure this season, those with experience often don't have as much of a struggle with it if they've "been there, done it".

• Like 1

All this talk of Tammy needs to remember that he is just a box player, and the reason why he was so prolific for us was that we were a team creating chances, and plenty of them, in the Championship. If he comes in we need to ensure that we have the right players in, and a team that will  guarantee that we will create the 6 or 7 chances needed to try and get at least 1 in. I don't think we'll be there next season so we need someone who is able to also create for themselves. tammy is a player for 2 seasons down the road, not now.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

As I posted in the Wesley thread, I think people are far too fixated on strikers. I'd be looking to spend our money on 2 wide forwards - I'd be much happier with Buendia and Benrahma than Tammy, for example. 

Would much prefer Tammy to those but would like all 3 😁

I've been reading through this and a few things strike me. Everyone seems to be writing off Hourihane, did him in midfield not coincide with a winning run at the end of the season? His delivery is fantastic but his general play has improved hugely. 

People also seem to be saying we should sell Samatta, I'll generally agree he hasn't been great but he's only be at the club 6 months. Surely he deserves a bit more patience? Also, he's generally been left up top on his own with next to no support. 

I'll say again what I said earlier, I think Wesley, Samatta and Davis are enough for a single striker position. What we need is real pace and threat from the wings. Who knows, maybe if you give these strikers some chances they may score some goals. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

How have you forgotten about how hard it is to bed in loads of entirely new players already? 

It doesn't work. We need to keep and play Konsa, McGinn, Wesley, and Targett. They're all good enough for where we are at the moment. 

Exactly - 17th in the table with 35 points! I want players who are good enough for a lot higher in the table. Remember we have the best player in the bottom half by lightyears, and we still only stayed up by the skin of our teeth. This shows the level the rest of our players are at (largely not good enough)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Herman22 said:

I've been reading through this and a few things strike me. Everyone seems to be writing off Hourihane, did him in midfield not coincide with a winning run at the end of the season? His delivery is fantastic but his general play has improved hugely. 

People also seem to be saying we should sell Samatta, I'll generally agree he hasn't been great but he's only be at the club 6 months. Surely he deserves a bit more patience? Also, he's generally been left up top on his own with next to no support. 

I'll say again what I said earlier, I think Wesley, Samatta and Davis are enough for a single striker position. What we need is real pace and threat from the wings. Who knows, maybe if you give these strikers some chances they may score some goals. 

In Wesley , Davis and Samatta neither are prolific enough in front of goal ,  it’s all very well getting the wingers we need but we also need a proven finisher to put it in the net - davis Samatta and Wesley are useful options in a squad but I would want another striker in 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MCU said:

Hasn't had chance has he. 

How backwards is Hendrick.. behave yourself.

As an RoI fan I really don't want Kendrick at Villa. He's really gone down hill over the last year or two. Seems a hard worker but I think in terms of quality and end product I'd put Hourihane ahead of him. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MCU said:

Hasn't had chance has he. 

How backwards is Hendrick.. behave yourself.

Backwards? Hes regular in a side that is way above us in the table and regular midtable.

Lansbury has barely played in a few years, has barely played in the PL and was usually floating around mid table championship clubs... Behave yourself.