Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

I think the best thing from this window is that we now have options to not only replace players but we can also change the way we play. Barkley adds a new dynamic to midfield, played as a 10 the other day but he can also play deeper. Cash can play further up if needed, or as a wing back if we decided to go with a back 3/5. Traore can play out side but he can also be used as a striker that plays off his man, potentially as a strike partner for Watkins or even Wesley.

Really solid window and looks like we've made some good acquisitions

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think Sunday showed no matter how good your squad is if you lose one or two key players you will suffer.  I think our problem is if we lost any one of Martinez, Jack, Ollie, Mcginn, Cash Luiz, Konsa, Target or Mings we become significantly weaker.  If we lost more than one of them at the same team we go from a top 10 team to avoiding relegation.

It’s just how it is and why the bigger clubs with a bench that could get in to most first times will always do well.

Hopefully we can have some look with injuries and suspensions this season. 

Mr Bean Thumbs Up GIF

• Haha 1

We are always going to need luck with injuries if we are to be a top half, even midtable side this season.

I think it also helps that the January transfer window is less than three months away, so I wouldn't be that disappointed if we don't sign anyone else now.

29 minutes ago, hippo said:

I don't even think Jack wants to move into the centre now. He scores goals and is generally devastating cutting in from out wide. 

Plus he doesn't stick rigidly to the left anyway and now with his partner in crime in the squad we'll see him roam even more.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Yes and No. I think Buendia is an excellent player. The one reservation I have about him is pace. We’ve shown over the last few games that we can quickly counter attack teams now and I worry we might lose that with a similar player to Grealish on the other side.

He’s still a terrific player. Wouldn’t grumble at all if we signed him. 

Yeah but if we need to inject pace we bring Traore on. Plus Trez isn't rapid, he has a bit of pace though. Also the pace down the middle with Barkley and Watkins is more than sufficient. Also Buendia like Jack can play centrally. He is also good at pressing.

41 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think Sunday showed no matter how good your squad is if you lose one or two key players you will suffer.  I think our problem is if we lost any one of Martinez, Jack, Ollie, Mcginn, Cash Luiz, Konsa, Target or Mings we become significantly weaker.  If we lost more than one of them at the same team we go from a top 10 team to avoiding relegation.

It’s just how it is and why the bigger clubs with a bench that could get in to most first times will always do well.

Hopefully we can have some luck with injuries and suspensions this season. 

Don't worry, after our 10 game winning streak to put us on 30 points after 10 it won't matter.

• Like 2

The other option we have is to play a 442 diamond. Watkins an Wesley (once fit) would make a really good partnership on paper. Their qualities really suit playing with each other. Move Jack in the middle alongside Barkley and you have a very dangerous team.

Also Traore's best position according to his stats is actually second striker so he could easily play along side one of that front two or Davis.

I'm not saying we should do that, but it presents an interesting option we can call upon.

We could also go with Wesley up top and Traore and Watkins either side of him, Jack in the middle if Barkley is out and Barkley in the middle if Jack is out. 

Wesley being fit will be like a new signing. I think he would thrive with inside forward / fast striker types around him in a 3 or a fast striker like Watkins slightly ahead of him in a front 2.

I see Wesley as a cross between a target man and a false nine. When we are defending he is a good target to aim for. In the transition from defense to attack he will drop deep and link up, and then in the final third get into the box to be on the end of things. This would work really well with Watkins who would be close to him to when we are defending in the transition will lead the line and in the final third feed off Wesley and alternate (with Wesley) linking with the midfield.

Only problem with the 442 diamond is you need good quick fullbacks, so the left back position would be a potential weakness.

Edited by Philosopher

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Little shout for Trezeguet who has become an asset in my eyes. He’s limited but has a very good shot, and eye for an assist and has pace and work rate... we have had much worse players at the club in the last five years. 
I think Traore will replace his starting place, but I think the two will be good competition for each other.

I think our plans were to get another winger, however his continued form from the back of last season has lessened this as a priority.

I think it will be an area that needs to be looked at next summer, but looks fine for where we aim to be right now!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Philosopher said:

Welbeck is too injury prone otherwise he would be a nice versatile addition to the squad. Bit too old now too though.

Only 29! Which is very hard to believe. Not that I want him at all, please no... but I don’t think his age is the problem.

4 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Only 29! Which is very hard to believe. Not that I want him at all, please no... but I don’t think his age is the problem.

For an attacker like Welbeck who relies on his athleticism 30 is the start of one's decline. For an injury prone attacker that's more like 27. 29 is too old unless we need a cheap short term fix.

Gabby is the prime example was was in decline at 26 / 27 finished at 29.

Edited by Philosopher

Just now, Philosopher said:

For an attacker 30 is the start of one's decline. For an injury prone attacker that's more like 27. 29 is too old unless we need a cheap short term fix.

Oh I agree he’s finished. He was too old at 25! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sne said:

Fairly balanced view on our dealings (so far)

Brilliant! So much common sense. Echoed many of the comments I've made. 

- rich owners prepared to spend unlike other clubs because of Covid 

- raising wage structure of key players to match PL wages

- pushed the limits of FFP

- not spending beyond FFP restrictions with luxury signings 

- Traore can play through middle so backup for Watkins