Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

32 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Makes no sense. Front 6 set Luiz McGinn Barkley Grealish Watkins Traore plus backup. Not signing Sarr for the previous 6 to be on bench

McGinn is a hell of a player to bring on after 65 minutes! 😉

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Makes no sense. Front 6 set Luiz McGinn Barkley Grealish Watkins Traore plus backup. Not signing Sarr for the previous 6 to be on bench

What if one of the six get injured, or form drops, suspended or tactically it isn’t working that game.  We need options.

33 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Telling that Samatta was allowed to leave on loan just 6 days after Traore signed.  For me, if Sarr arrives, form and injuries notwithstanding, Traore sits on the bench to cover all across the front 3

In reality, suspensions, injuries and resting means the likelihood of all 7 players being available for selection at the same time, is fairly unlikely.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, allani said:

McGinn is a hell of a player to bring on after 65 minutes! 😉

Or anyone of the others. Ok Jack and Ollie will probably start most games if fit, but even they will need a rest, particularly this season. We often look at other benches with envy or groan when they bring on another player after 70 minutes that are better than our starters. To progress the quality has to extend beyond 11 players. 

• Like 3

So I was a bit worried about moving Grealish inside in a midfield trio of Luiz, McGinn and Grealish.  Rightly or wrongly I just felt that the better teams would get on top of the three.  Suddenly a midfield trio of Luiz, Barkley and Grealish looks like one that could give anyone a game - especially with McGinn as cover from the bench.  Now I can definitely see the need for a quality wide left option.  Could be hugely exciting.

Re: rashica/sarr...

To my knowledge, dean has never been directly asked about either. Plus main rumours have circled around rash.

The last few games ive noticed jack and trez switching flanks.

Rash is mainly lw but has played rw and striker. 

Imagine rashica and jack switching/floating with barkley and SJM bursting forward. Luiz dictating play. 

Incredible.

Traoare then to come on for pace and an extra attack minded outlet

• Like 2

It’s not so much about not signing quality because they won’t want to be on the bench. We need quality competition and we need options. The first XI won’t play an entire season unchanged. Players need to rest, get suspended, injured, lose form etc... so everyone will get their chance throughout what’s going to be a very busy season. 

2 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Re: rashica/sarr...

To my knowledge, dean has never been directly asked about either. Plus main rumours have circled around rash.

The last few games ive noticed jack and trez switching flanks.

Rash is mainly lw but has played rw and striker. 

Imagine rashica and jack switching/floating with barkley and SJM bursting forward. Luiz dictating play. 

Incredible.

Traoare then to come on for pace and an extra attack minded outlet

This is why I want Rashica so badly. That bolded bit has top 7 potential (with a good defence behind it).

Edited by Okonokos
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

What if one of the six get injured, or form drops, suspended or tactically it isn’t working that game.  We need options.

What if what if what if. We're not spending 20 million on a bench player (Traore) to then spend 40m on likes of Sarr. Sarr is hyped because he scored 3 goals and 2 assists in 2 games against Manure and Liverpool yet went missing for large parts of the season otherwise

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

This is why I want Rashica so badly. That bolded bit has top 7 potential (with a good defence behind it).

"It may be that he stays, but it may also be that we won't see him in the Werder jersey again." - Frank Baumann, SV Werder Bremen Sporting Director.

Another thing to take note of, Rocket man ""injured"" his knee on the last international fixture, hasn't played for Bremen since then...

Yet he is in contention for Kosovo's next international fixture, combined with removing everything of Werder Bremen from his social media platforms.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, El-Reacho said:

Carew and Young must be the best January window ever. Bent and Makoun (and Pires) was pretty exciting at the time. Two years later Simon Dawkins would arrive on loan on deadline day to both start and finish our January transfer business.....

Such a bizarre signing.

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

"It may be that he stays, but it may also be that we won't see him in the Werder jersey again." - Frank Baumann, SV Werder Bremen Sporting Director.

Another thing to take note of, Rocket man ""injured"" his knee on the last international fixture, hasn't played for Bremen since then...

Yet he is in contention for Kosovo's next international fixture, combined with removing everything of Werder Bremen from his social media platforms, he is Villa bound.

He seems to be somewhere bound.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Or anyone of the others. Ok Jack and Ollie will probably start most games if fit, but even they will need a rest, particularly this season. We often look at other benches with envy or groan when they bring on another player after 70 minutes that are better than our starters. To progress the quality has to extend beyond 11 players. 

Exactly.  Trez, Ramsay, Wesley, Davies and Hourihane all now look like quite decent options now that we are not reliant on them.  I am trying hard not to get too excited.  I can't remember the last time Villa's front six were this good (on paper).  I think Luiz is the man to look out for.  Even before the lockdown I thought he was always two steps ahead of his colleagues and made "mistakes" because he was expecting other players to do something that they then didn't which caught him out.  Have better quality around him will (I think) mean that some of the dinks and offlays that it looked like he wanted to make will now come off.  Also beginning to look much harder to defend against - you can't just stick 2 men on Jack and nullify our threat.  He will need to adapt his game slightly too and remember that (hopefully!!) it isn't now all down to him.  Which in turn should actually make him more of a threat.

• Like 2