Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

4 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Didn’t we sign Petrov as an attacking midfielder as he banged them in for fun at Celtic.

Think so. If I remember correctly he also impressed in that role on his debut against the kit stealers away. Seem to remember he smashed one into the woodwork. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Yep, I was there in the City end on a student ticket. We won 2-0.

I was working hospitality for that game.  It was when City hadn’t scored a goal at home for about 6 months and Barton missed a pen 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thug said:

Yes, I think this is right.

Barkley is instead of Rachica

Jack continues where he is, with Trez/El Ghazi as back ups.

Absolutely. No way Barkley comes here to be a sub for us when he can be that at Chelsea. 

Barkley will be behind the striker but, let's face it, Luiz, McGinn and Barkley can all pretty much do the same job so will be comfortable wherever they find themselves in the middle of the pitch. 

Unfortunately, the Rashica dream seems well and truly over. I'd say our dealings are probably over too now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

No, obviously. It’s therefore fairly obvious you are more likely to improve by any measure if you sign a player better than your first choice and push him down the pecking order than if you sign one better than your second choice.

But not repeating myself on this one any more so if you disagree no problem 👍

I'm not sure you were repeating yourself,  more explaining what you said before.

You have a point in an ideal world if we're playing fantasy football and have unlimited funds. But that's just stating the obvious. In reality we have to balance improving the squad as a whole, whilst balancing the books and the players we can get.

A lot of the time, it is more realistic, affordable and actually achievable, to say get an up and coming player to say replace Taylor, who we hope we could then hopefully develop to replace Targett, than to get a replacement for Targett.

For sustainable long term improvement, development of players in this way is key along with actually buying better out and out players at any in point in time. Sometimes loans can help in the short term obviously.

I think from the purchases we've made this season we've done a good job of balancing that out according to the finances and current pulling power we have.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Absolutely. No way Barkley comes here to be a sub for us when he can be that at Chelsea. 

Barkley will be behind the striker but, let's face it, Luiz, McGinn and Barkley can all pretty much do the same job so will be comfortable wherever they find themselves in the middle of the pitch. 

Unfortunately, the Rashica dream seems well and truly over. I'd say our dealings are probably over too now. 

I’m pretty sure Barkley has come in to play on the left of a 3 man midfield and this will appease Jack as he knows his quality and the fact he’ll be able to trust him to pick him out with throughballs and link up well with him. also if jack vacates LW and moves infield he knows that Barkley can comfortably move out too the left in his place. Fantastic signing. 

1 minute ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Has Dean done his presser for Stoke yet? We’ll probably get confirmation of whether our business is done or whether there could be one more. 

He will probably tell us we are still looking, we always seem to be on the lookout for talent. Plus we still need someone in forward areas. 

1 hour ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Petrov was the window before Carew and Young. We did get Sean Maloney and Gabor Kiraly though!

Carew and Young must be the best January window ever. Bent and Makoun (and Pires) was pretty exciting at the time. Two years later Simon Dawkins would arrive on loan on deadline day to both start and finish our January transfer business.....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sidcow said:

There can no longer be any doubt about it. 

Wednesday is the undisputed king of transfer days. 

Wednesday dances on its toes with it's hands by its sides taunting the other days of the week. 

You just wait until next Wednesday. The EFL clubs are bracing themselves for an onslaught. 

39 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

But we probably still need a striker.

I think we are still thinking about first 11 only, if we aspire for where the owners want us to be (challenging for Europe) we need several very good players for each position as competition, rotation and plan B. We cant do everything in one window but we will keep adding better players and those who are not up to it will need to leave. That’s how you improve and become established.

Edited by thunderball