Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

30 minutes ago, smokingzen said:

Yes you do, it's called having a competitive squad who push each other to improve to compete for places.

Formally teams don't have "backup players" though obviously some players 'informally' fall into that category.

It's also about having as near like for like quality across positions If we get injuries. 

No problems there then with the way Targett is playing at the moment. Taylor can’t be far off him at the moment. 

27 minutes ago, smokingzen said:

Yes you do, it's called having a competitive squad who push each other to improve to compete for places.

Formally teams don't have "backup players" though obviously some players 'informally' fall into that category.

It's also about having as near like for like quality across positions If we get injuries. 

The point is, replacing someone who essentially isn’t good enough to start games with someone else who isn’t a starter doesn’t really take you forward. Replacing your starter and dropping him to the bench is genuine improvement.

Ok occasionally you’ll get a player who is virtually irreplaceable, in our case Jack, that you’ll need to have cover for. But even in that case the player should still be good enough to start and hopefully versatile enough to fill another position in the team and offer both rotation options and injury/suspension/loss of form cover. 

1 hour ago, BOF said:

How many is too many? If we have Traoré and Barkley in, where do we put Sarr or Rashica? I'm worried about too many new faces too soon in the same area of the park.

Yep, if we sign a good first team quality left sided forward, they aren't going to start in front of Jack. Even if they can play right across the front, or at least centrally then they won't be starting in front of Watkins and you'd think Traore didn't come to warm the bench.

With Barkley signing then he's probably not going to play in front of the back four, neither is Jack, so I can't see Barkley on the bench and Jack in there with the new left sided forward starting either. 

True that a couple of injuries would change all that but if we are going to be signing anyone I'd think it's more likely now to be a defender, maybe a left full back who can cover in the middle would be ideal.

2 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Yep, if we sign a good first team quality left sided forward, they aren't going to start in front of Jack. Even if they can play right across the front, or at least centrally then they won't be starting in front of Watkins and you'd think Traore didn't come to warm the bench.

With Barkley signing then he's probably not going to play in front of the back four, neither is Jack, so I can't see Barkley on the bench and Jack in there with the new left sided forward starting either. 

True that a couple of injuries would change all that but if we are going to be signing anyone I'd think it's more likely now to be a defender, maybe a left full back who can cover in the middle would be ideal.

Yes, I think this is right.

Barkley is instead of Rachica

Jack continues where he is, with Trez/El Ghazi as back ups.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

gotta be honest, i havent been this happy with a transfer window since we signed Carew, Young & Petrov in 06/07 (13 bloomin years!), both of these windows feel/felt like a watershed moment, like a statement of intent for the next few years.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

gotta be honest, i havent been this happy with a transfer window since we signed Carew, Young & Petrov in 06/07 (13 bloomin years!), both of these windows feel/felt like a watershed moment, like a statement of intent for the next few years.

Petrov was the window before Carew and Young. We did get Sean Maloney and Gabor Kiraly though!

8 hours ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Petrov was the window before Carew and Young. We did get Sean Maloney and Gabor Kiraly though!

hmmmm, maybe i mis-remember.

Says Petrov was Aug 2006, ye, Young & Carew were jan 2007, so same season, thats kinda what i meant.

Edited by MaVilla

7 hours ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Yup, same season, different window. Didier Agathe and Chris Sutton 2 more quality additions IIRC!

i didnt take to agathe, seemed a bit of a headless chicken to me.

But i have such fond memories of that season as a whole, Young, Petrov and Carew made me so excited, Carew is still one of my all time Villa fave players, loved the guy.

2 hours ago, BOF said:

How many is too many? If we have Traoré and Barkley in, where do we put Sarr or Rashica? I'm worried about too many new faces too soon in the same area of the park.

I think too many new faces in isolation can be counter-productive when you're desperate to field them due to lack of options. We're now in the position where we can start to blend new recruits into a settled squad.

This will be a season of attrition as much as anything, so it would be nice to have a level of continuity in terms of quality, should injuries or fatigue present themselves.

Being able to change a system, or bring a new dimension off the bench is something we've not been able to do in years too.  

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i didnt take to agathe, seemed a bit of a headless chicken to me.

But i have such fond memories of that season as a whole, Young, Petrov and Carew made me so excited, Carew is still one of my all time Villa fave players, loved the guy.

Did Agathe even play?

6 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

Technically we haven't spent any more money yet. Let's wait until our prodigal son, Rashica, signs before getting to carried away with Dorsett bashing. 

RashiCaaaaCaaaCaaaaCaaaaaaaa.