Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

4 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

No, no it isn’t. You don’t improve by improving your back up players. So no it’s more important to improve on Targett than Taylor and move the later on.

But I agree it won’t be this window.

Yeah, where we are is Improving our first 11, thus pushing the previous first team players to the bench, and by doing this improving the squad.

• Like 2

Just now, It's Your Round said:

Glory hunter! 

Welcome though ;)

Haha not ashamed to say I was sat in a dark corner pretending it would all go away during the depths of the Xia era (and it looks like it worked! 😆)

Back on the topic of our transfers, with our final transfer from Dean's comments it seems we are looking to add cover to LW and ST seemingly in one player. Whilst Sarr/Rashica fits the brief, I don't see them coming to play second fiddle to Grealish/Watkins, the question asked however is what player who is at a level in line with our aspirations this season can play LW/ST whilst being happy to play second fiddle to Grealish/Watkins? King maybe fits the bill, I'm overly not sold on him but as cover it could work, struggling to think of many more candidates...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

No, no it isn’t. You don’t improve by improving your back up players. So no it’s more important to improve on Targett than Taylor and move the later on.

I was thinking about a loan initially to replace Taylor.

15 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Yes you do, it's called having a competitive squad who push each other to improve to compete for places.

Formally teams don't have "backup players" though obviously some players 'informally' fall into that category.

It's also about having as near like for like quality across positions If we get injuries. 

8 minutes ago, ZL- said:

Back on the topic of our transfers, with our final transfer from Dean's comments it seems we are looking to add cover to LW and ST seemingly in one player. Whilst Sarr/Rashica fits the brief, I don't see them coming to play second fiddle to Grealish/Watkins, the question asked however is what player who is at a level in line with our aspirations this season can play LW/ST whilst being happy to play second fiddle to Grealish/Watkins? King maybe fits the bill, I'm overly not sold on him but as cover it could work, struggling to think of many more candidates...

Maybe we should go back to Belgium and ask Anderlecht for Jeremy Doku?

• Like 1

Just now, smokingzen said:

Yes you do, it's called having a competitive squad who push each other to improve to compete for places.

Formally teams don't have "backup players" though obviously some players 'informally' fall into that category.

It's also about having as near like for like quality across positions If we get injuries. 

No, no it isn’t. You don’t sign people better than your back up player but not your first choice if you want to improve. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Maybe we should go back to Belgium and ask Anderlecht for Jeremy Doku?

Very good shout, not seen him play but have heard he's very highly rated and can see he's had good success as LW as well as ST.

Given this position is mostly cover, we are at luxury to buy someone of his ilk that might not necessarily hit the ground running. Most our of transfers I don't believe Lange has had much to do on apart from checking stats and giving it the thumbs up (most are attributable to Dean/JT connections even though we can never be sure). I'd like to spin the wheel on one of Lange's moneyball signings really, I feel we have had a really good window in terms of signing established performers and this is a position I feel we could risk an unknown on.

50 minutes ago, ZL- said:

Hello all,

Long time lurker since the end of the MON era, only feeling comfortable joining the site now given what is inextricably Villa back on the rise!

Glory hunter - welcome :D 

Edited by Xela
  • Haha 1

I’d like Sarr/Rashica. Sessengon seem perfect because he could be a bacup for LB and LW. To be honest it’s really interesting, especially with how we began. Hopefully we win tomorrow against Stoke and give ourselves a good chance for a cup run.

So Gareth, rumours of more transfer activity at your former club, with word that Ruben Loftus-Cheek could still be joining Aston Villa. How do you feel that will help him regards his development as a player?

"We, firstly, I'd like to congratulate Conor Coady on his new contract extension..."

*It's the gift that keeps giving 🤣*

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

No, no it isn’t. You don’t sign people better than your back up player but not your first choice if you want to improve. 

What do you mean by improve here? Do you mean an on the day "best" starting 11 on paper, or the results across a whole season whilst utilising the whole squad because you won't be able to play that 11 all game and every game?

"Gareth, Ross Barkley who you have continued to pick for England despite not playing much at Chelsea has a loan to Aston Villa, you must be delighted he is getting game time!"
"You can miss penalties at any age, I think it was good Mason Mount got that out of his system. Unfortunately for Ross now he has gone to the Vile so he is dead to me, I mean, there is a lot of competition for his position and with limited squad space I have to prioritise players who have had recent Championship experience as obviously I feel its right I bring through players from all levels."

2 minutes ago, smokingzen said:

What do you mean by improve here? Do you mean an on the day "best" starting 11 on paper, or the results across a whole season whilst utilising the whole squad because you won't be able to play that 11 all game and every game?

No, obviously. It’s therefore fairly obvious you are more likely to improve by any measure if you sign a player better than your first choice and push him down the pecking order than if you sign one better than your second choice.

But not repeating myself on this one any more so if you disagree no problem 👍

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

"Gareth, Ross Barkley who you have continued to pick for England despite not playing much at Chelsea has a loan to Aston Villa, you must be delighted he is getting game time!"
"You can miss penalties at any age, I think it was good Mason Mount got that out of his system. Unfortunately for Ross now he has gone to the Vile so he is dead to me, I mean, there is a lot of competition for his position and with limited squad space I have to prioritise players who have had recent Championship experience as obviously I feel its right I bring through players from all levels."

No man, the Gareth quote is too long!?

Ah I see what you did. You made it longer to not infringe copyright 😉

• Haha 1