Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

Agree with all of the above. I'm enjoying this transfer window and start to the season so much I logged into this account for the first time in years to comment here!

No doubt there'll be downs as well as ups this season but with the starting XIs people are putting together here now plus our depth on the bench (when have we ever had that before?), ambitious new signings while players like Konsa, Trez and Hourihane continue to show worth, retaining Grealish, and even Super John McGinn seeming to be returning to his best, it's seriously difficult not to get excited. It's a really likeable group of players too. UTV!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Regardless, I'm absolutely chuffed, lads.  I haven't been this excited about Villa since we were knocking on the door of the Champions League under O'Neill.  It's amazing to see our progress under our new owners.  We've gone from mid table in the Championship with a lopsided financial sheet, to a mid-table Premier League side who plays exciting football and a lot of room to grow, both on the pitch and in the front office.  

I totally agree. Look back to the start of the 2018/19 season and compare with where we are now. Two games into our second season in the PL we have a £200m+ squad, six points and two clean sheets.

But I predict the next step will be a bit more difficult for us. This summer we're buying/loaning players around £20-25m each.  Next step is to upgrade already good players with even better players.  

The good thing is that we're mostly buying players on their way up. Which means they might be £40-50m players in two years time, at least some of them.

24 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Don’t know about everyone else but I’m absolutely buzzing right now.

I hope it doesn’t come back to bite me on the arse come May but I really feel like we’re heading back toward being a top 6-7 club again. I’m finding it really hard to find a negative about us at the moment.

we just have to stay calm.....we still have t do it on the pitch.

but it must raise the confidence levels of the rest of the players.......I have a feeling he will feel the love too, and might fire him back in to his top form.....the thing is with these top clubs you can get lost in the self importance......he is now joining a club with soul.

On form, this kid is serious business.

• Like 1

Just now, TRO said:

we just have to stay calm.....we still have to do it on the pitch.

but it must raise the confidence levels of the rest of the players.......I have a feeling he will feel the love too, and might fire him back in to his top form.....the thing is with these top clubs you can get lost in the self importance......he is now joining a club with soul.

On form, this kid is serious business.

18 minutes ago, Tez500 said:

Another one for the academy, linked with Man United and Everton according to the article.

Not a bad capture in all fairness.

He was very impressive in their friendly against Sheff Utd back in August, game only lasted 45 mins and was abandoned at HT (Storm Francis).

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

Provided we actually pull off the Rashica signing on deadline day, this is where we're at: 

A 29 man squad, which means 2 goalkeepers and 2 outfield players need to go out (I can see Ramsey going on loan, which means one more out) at a minimum.

Martinez

Cash - Konsa - Mings - Targett

McGinn - Douglas Luiz - Barkley

Traore/Rashica - Watkins - Grealish

Subs:

• Heaton/Steer/Nyland/Kalanic
  • Elmo/Guilbert/Taylor
  • Engels/Hause
  • Hourihane/Nakamba/Ramsey/Lansbury
  • Trez/El Ghazi
  • Wesley/Davis

On paper, this has been a brilliant window.  10th - 14th should be the minimum, but TBH, the sky is the limit.  Last season, our defense was shambolic, but as many have pointed out, a lot of our defensive problems were caused by how poor our forwards/wingers were (Jack being the exception).  We had no pace to hit teams on the break and spent most of our time struggling to get out of our own half.  That was addressed this summer and now we'll get a chance to see how well Mings/Konsa/Targett will handle being in a "standard" Premier League team.  If they actually are of the quality we hope for, we could continue to push further up the table.  Otherwise, we'll focus our strengthening on those spots next summer. 

Regardless, I'm absolutely chuffed, lads.  I haven't been this excited about Villa since we were knocking on the door of the Champions League under O'Neill.  It's amazing to see our progress under our new owners.  We've gone from mid table in the Championship with a lopsided financial sheet, to a mid-table Premier League side who plays exciting football and a lot of room to grow, both on the pitch and in the front office.  

Do they do the re-registration thing in Jan again?  If Wes/Heaton aren't close then leave them out again, there's no need to get rid of everyone straightaway.  

Will definitely be interesting to see if Ramsay stays now Ross is here.  Real balance between playing time at a lower level and being in and around the squad and playing cup games.

12 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Not a bad capture in all fairness.

He was very impressive in their friendly against Sheff Utd back in August, game only lasted 45 mins and was abandoned at HT (Storm Francis).

Need to sign this Francis bloke then, sounds like lightning.

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Do they do the re-registration thing in Jan again?  If Wes/Heaton aren't close then leave them out again, there's no need to get rid of everyone straightaway.  

Will definitely be interesting to see if Ramsay stays now Ross is here.  Real balance between playing time at a lower level and being in and around the squad and playing cup games.

Also, Ramsey is under 21 so won't need to take up a place in the squad list.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Don’t know about everyone else but I’m absolutely buzzing right now.

I hope it doesn’t come back to bite me on the arse come May but I really feel like we’re heading back toward being a top 6-7 club again. I’m finding it really hard to find a negative about us at the moment.

Hang about mate, they'll be a few along later to piss on your chips 😋

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Stewart Downing perhaps? I vaguely remember him having played for the national team before he joined us. Might be wrong though.

He was definitely a semi regular whilst at Boro.  We used to dislike him as we saw him as keeping Gareth Barry out of the side.

• Like 2