Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

14 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Hickey had a decent debut by all accounts, would have been interesting competition at LB. 

Yeah it's odd no PL teams were strongly linked seems to have been Bologna or Bayern. Antonee Robinson another that was available for relatively little outlay.

If the choice is between Barkley and RLC it’ll be interesting to see which one we’ll get.

If we get Barkley then Jack will stay at LW for sure as Barkley only plays AM/CM. Not sure how happy he’d be about that, especially as Barkley is a competitor for the AM role for England.

If we get RLC then it leaves the door open for a Wide Left player (Sarr, Benrahma, Rashica .....in that order for me) to come in.

Remember too it might be that we only get Sarr or Benrahma when the domestic window (ie between Prem and Championship etc) closes mid-October.

Edited by rayk

I personally would prefer Barkley out of the two Chelsea lads, but if reports are to be believed he wants to stay and fight for his place. RLC hasn't made even the bench yet so he's much more likely. He'd still be an upgrade and I'd welcome either with open arms, but I just think Barkley would be ready to hit the ground running, where as RLC may need some time to play back in to form and fitness. That said, I'm sure he wouldn't be as off the pace as the loaf of bread we got in Drinkwater

• Like 1

I know the press keep linking Loftus-Cheek with us but I'm just not at all convinced with it, it doesn't fit right especially given our stance on loans (options to buy) and Chelsea seemingly only looking to loan him.

I'm still convinced our interest is in Barkley and for me he would be a great signing.

My suspicion is that Chelsea are trying to land Rice from West Ham and the Loftus-Cheek may well go there on loan (probably with another player) as part of the deal. If they do get Rice then I think that will trigger a few exits from Chelsea including Barkley.

If they don't land Rice then I hope they still let Barkley go.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

I know the press keep linking Loftus-Cheek with us but I'm just not at all convinced with it, it doesn't fit right especially given our stance on loans (options to buy) and Chelsea seemingly only looking to loan him.

I'm still convinced our interest is in Barkley and for me he would be a great signing.

My suspicion is that Chelsea are trying to land Rice from West Ham and the Loftus-Cheek may well go there on loan (probably with another player) as part of the deal. If they do get Rice then I think that will trigger a few exits from Chelsea including Barkley.

Loftus-Cheek would be a great addition in the middle of the park but, I must admit, there's something very exciting about Grealish and Barkley linking up.  I think they'd work very well together.

• Like 2

Not wishing to stoke the Rashica embers but I’d rather have Rashica wide left, Jack as AM and RLC as DCM cover rather than signing Barkley who only plays AM/CM which keeps Jack playing LW (and still no better cover at DCM).

Edited by rayk

7 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I’ve never been impressed by Loftus-Cheek and if he can’t motivate himself at Chelsea I wonder how or why he’ll do so here.

Motivate himself? His issue is he is constantly injured, haven't heard any issues around his attitude.

9 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

This.

Originally I preferred the idea of RLC coming in, because I think an athletic centre-mid (to replace Hourihane) is the next step in improving our team, but now that it's reported that Chelsea still see RLC's future at Chelsea, I'd rather we walked away.

I agree with the approach of always thinking long-term, and if Barkley could be signed on a permanent or on a loan with an option to buy, then I'd prefer that.

Am I right in saying that Barkley has also played in both CM and LW/RW/AMC roles before, so could cover multiple positions or allow us to switch it up?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t think Jack should be moved. If it ain’t broke!

I know what you mean but it’d be a fabulous option for us to have both within games and the course of the season.

And if we do end up with Rashica they’d be no pressure on him hitting the ground running and could be eased in more.

The more I think about it the more I feel that another striker is crucial. Wesley is apparently going to be out for another 3 months at least, leaving us with Watkins and Davis as our only options for now. Yes Traore can play there but hopefully he is going to be competing with Trezeguet for the RW spot.

You've got Grealish who is playing brilliantly on the LW, but if he is out for any length of time we can move Watkins out there should we sign another striker.

If Watkins were to get injured though, I wouldn't want us to have to rely on Davis alone, so another striker can come in and do the job as well.

Edouard would still be the dream signing as he can interchange with Watkins when playing in the same team as well.

Either way, as long as we bring in a LW / LF or a ST I'll be happy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Am I right in saying that Barkley has also played in both CM and LW/RW/AMC roles before, so could cover multiple positions or allow us to switch it up?

He’s only really ever played centrally, not in wide positions as far as I’m aware.

Question to the people who rate Loftus-Cheek highly. Not saying you're wrong but do you think there's a chance he's overrated?

Just had a quick look at his career. He's 24 and has played 107 games in his career. Most of these are in cup games or as a substitute. He hasn't actually played that much at all and I can't remember ever seeing him play. I'm just wondering what makes him so highly rated when he's not really played that much?

5 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

How about just having more options? We can't just have plan A. We need plans B and C too. More quality players available never hurt anyone.

Yeh I’m fine with that. My reply was in regards to moving Jack in to the middle. 

4 minutes ago, rayk said:

I know what you mean but it’d be a fabulous option for us to have both within games and the course of the season.

And if we do end up with Rashica they’d be no pressure on him hitting the ground running and could be eased in more.

I agree. The day may one day come when our manager had a selection headache! 

Just now, Okonokos said:

Question to the people who rate Loftus-Cheek highly. Not saying you're wrong but do you think there's a chance he's overrated?

Just had a quick look at his career. He's 24 and has played 107 games in his career. Most of these are in cup games or as a substitute. He hasn't actually played that much at all and I can't remember ever seeing him play. I'm just wondering what makes him so highly rated when he's not really played that much?

He’s had a lot of bad luck with injuries including an ACL.