Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

12 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I know it's only 2 games but this puts us in a great spot for potential new players.'

They may look at us now as a team on the up.

Exactly this.
People are already starting to identify the relegation candidates (Fulham, Boggies, Sheff Utd, Burnley), and those who 'could get dragged in' (West Ham, Newcastle, Southampton, Brighton) - and we're not in there at the moment.
Add the fact we've got through 2x cup games by playing pretty much a 2nd 11 in both games (albeit against lower league teams, who have also made changes), and could be through the quarters by Friday - so 2 games from another trip to Wembley. We just look a more attractive proposition to any player than we were a month ago.

I also think that the club don't leak stories, but aren't against using the media tactically to get what we want. I was never convinced we really wanted Wilson or King, and we got Watkins over the line a day or 2 later. Same with all the talk about Romero (and these weren't lazy rumours - they came from people who do know stuff, particularly at the Man U end), and we end up with Martinez.
Suddenly we want Barkley or Loftus-Cheek - I'm not convinced given wages and our apparently being against loans without a buy option, or in an emergency, and it could be smoke screen to get another deal done.

Or maybe Chelsea will let us have Barkley for a year free of charge to apologise for Drinkwater.

3 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

Exactly this.
People are already starting to identify the relegation candidates (Fulham, Boggies, Sheff Utd, Burnley), and those who 'could get dragged in' (West Ham, Newcastle, Southampton, Brighton) - and we're not in there at the moment.
Add the fact we've got through 2x cup games by playing pretty much a 2nd 11 in both games (albeit against lower league teams, who have also made changes), and could be through the quarters by Friday - so 2 games from another trip to Wembley. We just look a more attractive proposition to any player than we were a month ago.

I also think that the club don't leak stories, but aren't against using the media tactically to get what we want. I was never convinced we really wanted Wilson or King, and we got Watkins over the line a day or 2 later. Same with all the talk about Romero (and these weren't lazy rumours - they came from people who do know stuff, particularly at the Man U end), and we end up with Martinez.
Suddenly we want Barkley or Loftus-Cheek - I'm not convinced given wages and our apparently being against loans without a buy option, or in an emergency, and it could be smoke screen to get another deal done.

Or maybe Chelsea will let us have Barkley for a year free of charge to apologise for Drinkwater.

And Fulham is in the opposite position.

Bear in mind they are in an absolute desperate need of players. And what player would want to join that mess??

I see no escape for Fulham. I know it's early, but imo they are proper doomed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

Same with all the talk about Romero (and these weren't lazy rumours - they came from people who do know stuff, particularly at the Man U end), and we end up with Martinez.

The fact that Martinez full name surname is Romero sounds like ITK telephone game misunderstanding

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

And Fulham is in the opposite position.

Bear in mind they are in an absolute desperate need of players. And what player would want to join that mess??

I see no escape for Fulham. I know it's early, but imo they are proper doomed.

And the Boggies. Getting in Ivanovic and talk of Adebayor. If Covid gets worse, some of their squad might have to isolate. 

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

Exactly. Compare that to Sheffield United, considering what they did last season. Huge swing in perception in just a couple of games. 

I would say it also the combined form since project restart. The seasons seem to have bled into one. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zab6359 said:

Targett concerns me really wish he had competion for his place.

Have a feeling a CM will be announced this week then that will be our business done. 

Hickey had a decent debut by all accounts, would have been interesting competition at LB. 

Just now, GENTLEMAN said:

Hickey had a decent debut by all accounts, would have been interesting competition at LB. 

Just said on the Targett thread that we can’t expect everything to be sorted out this transfer window. Sure it’d be great to have Rico Henry and Targett fighting it out at LB but other areas are more important. There’s always the Jan window if Targett gets injured.

Maybe an U23 can come in and plug the gap? Mungo Bridge?

• Like 2