Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

I rate this window as a solid 7/10 get Rashica in and it's a 8.5/10 anyone else after him it's a bonus. We've added a potential 10-15 points to the squad with the players we've bought.  

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Rich192 said:

The FCK manager has said Lange would never come in for one of his players with a week left in the window. So I think we can assume that the Nelsson link was lazy journalism. 

Still think we’ll get Rashica and Barkley/RLC. Would be an incredible window if we get them both done, but I’d settle for just Rashica. Don’t think I’ve wanted a player this much since Juan Pablo. And no, I’d never heard of him before this year, and don’t think I’ve ever seen him play. 

Just on the link to Nelsson, when Bertrand went for his medical I thought it was odd Lange was in Copenhagen and suggested he might have been working on a deal for a FC Copenhagen player.

So if we do sign Nilsson we wouldn’t have come in for one of their players ‘with a week left in the window’.

I’d rate the window so far as a 7/10, I think the need though is quality depth. Getting the likes of rashica in would mean el-ghazi and trez would become 2nd choice as opposed to automatic and whilst not perfect would be ideal. 

Also bringing in RLC would mean Conor moving down pecking order and Lansbury further. You look at some players in the squad and want them as far down as possible if not sold/loaned out.

do I think we’re done? I hope not and hope to bring in a few more whilst shifting some out/down the order.

I think in general it will be a one on one out thing between now and the end of the window.

Smith said that we can't keep stockpiling players which is correct providing we have adequate coverage in each position. My concern would be central defender and striker. Only because Hause worries me and if we get injuries to watkins and Davis, Traore may not be fully ready to lead the line in this league yet.

I think it's already been a 7/10 window with the signings we've made, but if that's it i'd be slightly disappointed as for me we really need to get a left winger in. Sign Rashica or Sarr and it's a 9/10 window, and if it ends up being Benrahma it's an 8/10 window. I think we needed it to be at least an 8/10 window after last season.

Loftus Cheek on loan neither here nor there, i wouldn't complain if we did but i'm not arsed if we don't. If we do i hope it's with an option to buy and we offload Nakamba and Lansbury as i agree with Smith that we shouldn't be stockpiling players. Better competition for Targett would be good but i'd hope we'd offload Taylor first. For me we can also offload Jota now and if we do get a left winger in we can offload El Ghazi.

I can see us bringing in a CB and offloading Engels, that one's been rumbling a bit even before the lockdown when the word was that he wasn't getting along to well with Deano.

I don't see anyone willing to take on the rest of the dead wood on a permanent basis unfortunately. Lansbury, Jota, Engels, Nyland, Kalinic are all probably on prohibitively high wages to sell.

I wouldn't even consider getting rid of Nakamaba, Trez, El Ghazi as we will literally have no cover in a very compacted schedule where injuries are probably going to be as factor more than ever.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I would still like us to sign a centre back a creative midfielder and, a box to box midfielder. 

I assume as backup mostly else that would be basically replacing most the XI which would be nonsense. Assuming mostly backup they'd be low profile with potential else how do you sell the move to the player. 

Very little chance of signing a centre back I’d say. I don’t understand why we would move Engels on and swap like for like when we have much more pressing issues in midfield. Engels has been fine barring his mistake against spurs. Certainly good enough as a backup to Konsa, and is about to come back from his injury according to Smith. 

• Like 1

Sarr or Rashica, plus someone like Barkley on loan, and I'll be much more confident of decent season.

We can't stockpile players, but we also have a number of players that are just not good enough. Hopefully we'll manage to trim the squad down from that perspective as well.

• Like 3

Sarr would be an unbelievable signing. Would prefer him over Rashica, Edouard and Brewster.

His pace is electric and having a forward three of Sarr, Watkins and Bertrand would be frightening, especially with Jack pulling the strings behind them.

19 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

I don't see anyone willing to take on the rest of the dead wood on a permanent basis unfortunately. Lansbury, Jota, Engels, Nyland, Kalinic are all probably on prohibitively high wages to sell.

I wouldn't even consider getting rid of Nakamaba, Trez, El Ghazi as we will literally have no cover in a very compacted schedule where injuries are probably going to be as factor more than ever.

Yeah, i think we do need to upgrade quite a few players but agree it's unlikely to all happen i one window. I do have a feeling something will hapeen on the CB though, not that i dislike Engels myself. Great username btw :-)

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Very little chance of signing a centre back I’d say. I don’t understand why we would move Engels on and swap like for like when we have much more pressing issues in midfield. Engels has been fine barring his mistake against spurs. Certainly good enough as a backup to Konsa, and is about to come back from his injury according to Smith. 

I think there maybe something else going on behind the scenes with Engels, other than this 'injury'. He disappeared from the squad after the spurs debacle for months and there was no explanation why. Now they are saying he has a relatively minor hamstring injury (2-4 weeks out) but has not been seen training. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I think there maybe something else going on behind the scenes with Engels, other than this 'injury'. He disappeared from the squad after the spurs debacle for months and there was no explanation why. Now they are saying he has a relatively minor hamstring injury (2-4 weeks out) but has not been seen training. 

Well they've claimed he is finally back in training, so let's see if our conspiracies are true, or if he really has had the deepest "thigh strain" known to man.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Awol said:

Okay. So how do you rate the new boys out of 10, and the players they’re replacing?  Be interested to see what you think quality looks like. 

Edit:

To clarify that’s:

Watkins Vs Samatta - 
Martinez Vs Nyland -

Cash Vs Guilbert -

Traore Vs Ghazi - 

I’m with most that I think at best, so far it’s 7 out of 10 window.  I feel disappointed if I’m honest and some of that is justified and some of that is widely not justified.

Cash and Traore vs Guilbert and El Ghazi, I have to say I’m very much on the fence about especially for over 30m.  Only hindsight for those two will say whether they will be justified but for me looking at the start of this window I would’ve said no thanks.  Now they have signed, I’m happy and hopeful that Cash is materially enough better than Guilbert who I was ok with and Traore is a complete unknown, he’s either going to be brilliant or awful, he just feels like one of those signings.  Is he better than El Ghazi, his talent says yes, the rest we’ll have to see because it’s not a high bar.

Martinez vs Nyland, no contest.  The question on this position is around Heaton, if he’s back and ok then we basically have two great keepers when you only need one.  Martinez is the future though.

Watkins is the funny one for me.  Obviously no contest re Samatta but 28-33m for Watkins.  He has everything we want from our striker, the question and the risk is, can he do it at PL level.  We believe he will but belief needs action, so we’ll see but his few games looks promising all be it including only one PL game.

The disappointment comes from needs to vastly improve our attack and so far we have sold a striker and brought in a striker with potential but untried at this level and a winger who looks like he has quality but when we were first linked with him all the reports weren’t favourable on him.  It’s an improvement but not massive that was needed.

We haven’t touched midfield yet which is a concern.

Defence we seem to have improved but we need another CB as Hause is awful and Engels is not right.  I guess I wasn’t the only one who winced when Konsa was checking his hamstring the other day thinking who would come in for him.

Still time for a couple more though and a couple of links that still could make it a great window.