Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

53 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

Sarr is only 22. If he improves he could be a 50m + player in a few seasons. Very much fits our structure. 

I still don't think it will happen but who knows. 

I think reports have Watford demanding 40m already. He's got the potential to be a great player but that is seriously overpriced. Feel the same way about that figure for Edouard, too.

Won't be complaining if they do sign for us, mind!

I’m inclined to agree with those who think that the Sarr story has been put out there to hurry WB. I feel certain that all is agreed with the player, and that WB have been informed by the player of this. If that is the case then WB have had leverage taken away, and their hopes of an auction are gone. Expect Rashica to be unveiled Friday  morning, 9am.

24 minutes ago, the_eristic said:

I think reports have Watford demanding 40m already. He's got the potential to be a great player but that is seriously overpriced. Feel the same way about that figure for Edouard, too.

Won't be complaining if they do sign for us, mind!

Think it is more likely to be a loan to buy given reports so far. 

Don’t know how much truth there is in the Sarr rumours but I could see a scenario of him turning down plop for us. If he continues his development by playing regularly with us big clubs will want him in a season or two. 

if he goes to Liverpool and plays sporadically, halting his development then it could be be down hill in terms of clubs looking at him calibre wise if he is not careful. Still only 22 and a season of two of regular football is what he needs at this stage IMO... not biased or delusional at all !

Edited by thabucks

I keep seeing people saying stuff like  "I bet they've leaked this or that rumour to pressure x club into something" 

A) Do people genuinely believe that is the way football clubs go about their business? Really? and if they do

b) Why would any club actually believe those rumours if its an accepted way of doing things.  They would just automatically disbelieve the links. 

I think people have an overactive imagination if they really think these kind of shenanigans go on. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

Would rather see a proper CM come in as that's more important IMO.  If we play with a three in the middle this needs to be stronger both attacking and defending.  Unfortunately Hourihane is not good enough and Mcginn is struggling at the mo.

However, if this improves on what we have got then get him in.  I cant comment of Rachica as I haven't seen him play......Sarr looks good and knows the league already so that might be the better option

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I keep seeing people saying stuff like  "I bet they've leaked this or that rumour to pressure x club into something" 

A) Do people genuinely believe that is the way football clubs go about their business? Really? and if they do

b) Why would any club actually believe those rumours if its an accepted way of doing things.  They would just automatically disbelieve the links. 

I think people have an overactive imagination if they really think these kind of shenanigans go on. 

Villareport must work for the club! 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

because it happens in business all the time.  One of the biggest movers of most things is fear.  Even the modern age of FOMO but just generally in business it is used all the time.  The use of "other options" gives a lot of power to the owner of that in any negotiation and I know it has been used in the financial industry that I'm in for many reasons from driving the price down, removing certain clauses, locking companies into longer contracts, better delivery times.....even to paying key personal more than we wanted to hire them.

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I keep seeing people saying stuff like  "I bet they've leaked this or that rumor to pressure x club into something" 

I know what you mean but I would be horrified if we weren't looking at alternatives to Rashica if I'm honest. No point being held to ransom unnecessarily. Sometimes reports of the interest in alternatives is going to get leaked. Whether that has any impact on the original club (Werder) who knows. It's possible, depends how real these "other clubs" with interest in Rashica are. 

2 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I know what you mean but I would be horrified if we weren't looking at alternatives to Rashica if I'm honest. No point being held to ransom unnecessarily. Sometimes reports of the interest in alternatives is going to get leaked. Whether that has any impact on the original club (Werder) who knows. It's possible, depends how real these "other clubs" with interest in Rashica are. 

disgusted married with children GIF

like this?

• Haha 3

Interesting the lack of striker links since we signed Watkins.

We will certainly sign one now Samatta is out so intrigued who we come up with in next 13 days.

Will probably go for another up and coming player but I'd really like an experienced head, as much for Davis to learn from as I presume he'll be staying now.

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

because it happens in business all the time.  One of the biggest movers of most things is fear.  Even the modern age of FOMO but just generally in business it is used all the time.  The use of "other options" gives a lot of power to the owner of that in any negotiation and I know it has been used in the financial industry that I'm in for many reasons from driving the price down, removing certain clauses, locking companies into longer contracts, better delivery times.....even to paying key personal more than we wanted to hire them.

I was going to say, having worked in call centres, the worst thing anyone can say when you're selling / trying to retain a customer is them mentioning a better / cheaper alternative. Suddenly you have no power in the discussion and have to accept what they're looking for or work with them for a compromise. 

I don't necessarily think they're leaking fake stories though, more just allowing it to be known that they are actively pursuing their plan B, C, D and E and they'll move on if no agreement can be made. 

I do think this is why Suso was sacked though. Potentially giving up on plan A last summer a bit too easily and going after alternatives a few times. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, nick76 said:

You must work in a different business to me.  You might drop hints that you are/may have to look elsewhere or straight up tell them their proposal isn't going to go down well but spreading rumours through the press is another level. Especially a press well known for just making up totall bollocks all the time anyway. 

27 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I think it’s more likely it does happen than doesn’t.

Disinformation is a powerful tool.

Agents always drop hints to press clubs are interested in a client and then said player signs a new deal a week later so wouldn't surprise me at all, indeed you could say the Ramsdale link the other week was a perfect case in point. Who knows if we were ever interested but the story was planted and Sheffield United quickly moved the deal along and signed him.

30 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Clubs might or might not do it but agents definitely do. If they want to get a few extra quid out of a deal then this is the type of strategy they use.

Right now our players' agents will be touting them to other clubs with the view of Villa getting wind of it and increasing the wages. Agents make money by renewing contracts or getting them a move. Also sponsorship deals and endorsements are another way in which the agents make money off the players.

Source? A UK based intermediary who was subcontracted the handling of Jordan Ayew and Amavi is friends with someone who used to work with me. The same lad had trials with Spurs many moons ago but suffered a stroke of misfortune when he was involved in a no fault accident which messed his legs up. He's since started work as an intermediary. 

21 minutes ago, sidcow said:

You must work in a different business to me.  You might drop hints that you are/may have to look elsewhere or straight up tell them their proposal isn't going to go down well but spreading rumours through the press is another level. Especially a press well known for just making up totall bollocks all the time anyway. 

Sorry, I'm not just referring to rumours through the press but depending on market and country there are many ways to facilitate information indirectly to push deals forward.  Going through the press in my industry is rare but I have heard of it although I do have two big examples in my mind over in Asia-Pacific but the other ways of rumours hitting the right target is used a lot when needed.