Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

Inexpensive in terms of fee not wages.

I bet if we combined fee and wages with a 7-10 million pound player plus wages with roses on a 3 year deal it wouldn’t be a crazy difference and the brought player would have a sell on value

Ok, I can understand if his wage demands are excessive (best avoided then) but why the general dislike?

Ideally, I’d like us to sign a younger, better player that would either replace or rotate with Targett but we have much bigger priorities atm & can probably wait until next season or even Jan to sort it, although we have been linked to Henry. 

Having to play Taylor limits us badly, especially when we are really looking to progress and kick on as a team/squad now. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Btw, what are the real issues with Rose? Everyone seems to dislike him...

I don’t follow enough football beyond Villa nowadays or pay too much attention to other players & social media but I’m aware about some comments on not loving football and he’s (rightly) spoken out against racism. I’ve not watched the Spurs doc/series...

Beyond that, why the hate?

I don’t have an opinion personally, just wondering. Can’t even say if I’d like us to sign him but we need better than Taylor and an inexpensive option would be desirable in the short term.

He’d certainly be an upgrade on Taylor (who wouldn’t?) and has that much vaunted PL experience. Could maybe teach Targett a thing or two and end up improving his game (defensively).

On the other hand, I wouldn’t want any characters who could disrupt the dressing room spirit or harmony but... would he?

Two reasons,

First he has gone off the boil talent wise. He is no longer the talent that scored against us on loan at Sunderland in 2013. See his performances for Spurs before he rightly got dropped.

Second if the documentary is to be believed (and it would be hard to edit it to look good) he handled getting dropped in the worst possible way by bad mouthing his team mates. He didnt want to discuss his own terrible form and poor training.

And its all on him. If he had kept silent then he would have plenty of suitors (maybe even us) but now no club wants a player who trashes his team mates.

Agree about his advocacy, that's a great thing, but not enough to overcome his lack of form and dressing room issues.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Btw, what are the real issues with Rose? Everyone seems to dislike him...

I don’t follow enough football beyond Villa nowadays or pay too much attention to other players & social media but I’m aware about some comments on not loving football and he’s (rightly) spoken out against racism. I’ve not watched the Spurs doc/series...

Beyond that, why the hate?

I don’t have an opinion personally, just wondering. Can’t even say if I’d like us to sign him but we need better than Taylor and an inexpensive option would be desirable in the short term.

He’d certainly be an upgrade on Taylor (who wouldn’t?) and has that much vaunted PL experience. Could maybe teach Targett a thing or two and end up improving his game (defensively).

On the other hand, I wouldn’t want any characters who could disrupt the dressing room spirit or harmony but... would he?

I do because of FPL. Went to pot ages ago

6 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Two reasons,

First he has gone off the boil talent wise. He is no longer the talent that scored against us on loan at Sunderland in 2013. See his performances for Spurs before he rightly got dropped.

Second if the documentary is to be believed (and it would be hard to edit it to look good) he handled getting dropped in the worst possible way by bad mouthing his team mates. He didnt want to discuss his own terrible form and poor training.

And its all on him. If he had kept silent then he would have plenty of suitors (maybe even us) but now no club wants a player who trashes his team mates.

Agree about his advocacy, that's a great thing, but not enough to overcome his lack of form and dressing room issues.

4 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I do because of FPL. Went to pot ages ago

Cool, let’s move on then 😆

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Ok, I can understand if his wage demands are excessive (best avoided then) but why the general dislike?

Ideally, I’d like us to sign a younger, better player that would either replace or rotate with Targett but we have much bigger priorities atm & can probably wait until next season or even Jan to sort it, although we have been linked to Henry. 

Having to play Taylor limits us badly, especially when we are really looking to progress and kick on as a team/squad now. 

No idea what these higher priorities are? Traore is signing tomorrow which means as a minimum we now have proper wide forwards, whilst we are still retaining an interest is Rashica.

If/when those deal/s are done the priority if any cash is left moves backwards on the field Centre back, centre midfielder, left back.

3 hours ago, brummybloke said:

Hmm some tenious rumbles of Danny Rose, Danny the player i have a lot of time for. Solid attacking left back.

Danny the man I have no time for.

Free transfer ? but huge wages and big chip on his shoulder about football, the sport that made him a millionaire 🤦‍♂️

People need to let this go. He was making a comment on racism in football. Doesn't matter if it made him a millionaire, it's still unconscionable.

Anyway, not that I'd even want him here but he's still very hungry to play football as seen in the documentary. There can be no doubt that he wants to play first team football.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, paul514 said:

No idea what these higher priorities are? Traore is signing tomorrow which means as a minimum we now have proper wide forwards, whilst we are still retaining an interest is Rashica.

If/when those deal/s are done the priority if any cash is left moves backwards on the field Centre back, centre midfielder, left back.

Unfortunately we can't sign loads of players even if better backup without moving players off the wage bill and some of those are difficult as they probably on too much for other clubs to be interested so could be case of running down contract 

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Unfortunately we can't sign loads of players even if better backup without moving players off the wage bill and some of those are difficult as they probably on too much for other clubs to be interested so could be case of running down contract 

Totally on board with that but if we did sign a player for those three positions look at the contract lengths...

Taylor, Elmo, Lansbury, Jota, Nyland - 1 Year

Kalinic - 3 Years

I think they should be easy to get rid of for a few reasons.

1, We will ask for a small fee/no fee

2, 1 Year contract players will be keen to move for a longer contract.

3, If we are certain they are of absolutely no use to us which in this scenario they would be you can give them a small pay off or get the signing club to pay them a sign on fee and demand a lesser or zero fee and so on.

5 hours ago, kieranavfc said:

https://www.juvefc.com/juventus-pressing-for-khedira-contract-termination/

noticed this today and thought he ticks all the boxes of the clues given before, then I saw that he's had eight periods out in the previous 2 seasons, missing 48 league games as a result including all 24 games since November last year! pretty rough luck that.

I like that thinking, when a number 8 who’s been there and done that was mentioned, I was trying to think who out of the last couple of World Cup winning squads fits the bill. 

37 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I like that thinking, when a number 8 who’s been there and done that was mentioned, I was trying to think who out of the last couple of World Cup winning squads fits the bill. 

1955 minutes (22 full games) played in total over the last two seasons 2 goals, 1 assist, he is 33 and gets paid 6 million after tax.....

Nope.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

People need to let this go. He was making a comment on racism in football. Doesn't matter if it made him a millionaire, it's still unconscionable.

Anyway, not that I'd even want him here but he's still very hungry to play football as seen in the documentary. There can be no doubt that he wants to play first team football.

Cracking use of your vocabulary there squire very impressive.

8 hours ago, kieranavfc said:

https://www.juvefc.com/juventus-pressing-for-khedira-contract-termination/

noticed this today and thought he ticks all the boxes of the clues given before, then I saw that he's had eight periods out in the previous 2 seasons, missing 48 league games as a result including all 24 games since November last year! pretty rough luck that.

And to think my wife says men don't understand how bad a period is, 8 in 2 seasons could indicate he's going through the change though, so I think we should look elsewhere..... Probably would upset dressing room harmony. 

3 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I don't - he's being axed because he's too slow in Serie A, what makes you think he'll be what we need? 

We need a dynamic box-to-box player in the middle to do a bit of everything. We have an excellent player in Luiz to sit in front of the back 4, and McGinn to play higher up the pitch - we're lacking a solid all-rounder. Khedira is definitely not that. 

3 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’ve not seen the Spurs documentary, but it’s a no from me on Rose. Never rated him as a player. Even when at his best (we high is way behind him), he was very vulnerable defensively. Teams appeared to target the ball in behind him a lot

yeah rose is done, wouldn't even want him on loan let alone tied in to a 3 year deal, Newcastle didn't take up their option to buy which says a lot, he's got west ham written all over him

the spurs documentary is funny more than anything else, a guy who isn't good enough moaning that he is good enough and should play more, the edited it a bit to throw him under the bus with the "what about milan" comment (someone must have told him they were sniffing) he childishly reacts to Jose not being interested with "im off to tell Daniel about this" that's about it

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

yeah rose is done, wouldn't even want him on loan let alone tied in to a 3 year deal, Newcastle didn't take up their option to buy which says a lot, he's got west ham written all over him

the spurs documentary is funny more than anything else, a guy who isn't good enough moaning that he is good enough and should play more, the edited it a bit to throw him under the bus with the "what about milan" comment (someone must have told him they were sniffing) he childishly reacts to Jose not being interested with "im off to tell Daniel about this" that's about it

Wouldn't touch him with a barge pole, would probably think we are beneath him and rub our lot up the wrong way and create disharmony in the ranks.

Edited by Phil Silvers
  • Like 1

My WBA mate triumphantly sent me this

West Brom beat Aston Villa to transfer as loan deal is completed

West Brom have secured the signing of promising Chelsea midfielder Conor Gallagher on a season long loan.

It’s understood that Albion have beaten off top flight competition to sign Gallagher; Midlands rivals Aston Villa and fellow promoted side Leeds United both showed an interest in the box to box midfielder.

First I've heard of it. 

• Like 1

Once our wingers are sorted, anyone think we'll be in for a CB or CM? Or both?

Only 4 CBs at the moment one being the mystery that is Engels, and one being the inconsistent Hause. Unless I'm forgetting someone, could have sworn we had 5 last season.

Hopefully traore confirmed today.

I will assume the reports about rashica are correct, hopefully we get him soon.

After that the next critical signing is a quality MC.

After that, nice to have's would be a LB & CB to challenge the current first team.

4 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Once our wingers are sorted, anyone think we'll be in for a CB or CM? Or both?

Only 4 CBs at the moment one being the mystery that is Engels, and one being the inconsistent Hause. Unless I'm forgetting someone, could have sworn we had 5 last season.

Honestly think that Engels is underrated and hoping he is like a new signing, I'd prioritise Rico Henry in and Taylor out first. Then I'd consider flipping Hause for a more experienced 30ish year old rotation player. With the wingers sorted and Jack being able to play anywhere in the front 6 I think we are sorted there, possibly flip Marvellous for better or Connor same but not both as we need continuity.

• Like 3