Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

46 minutes ago, Awol said:

Happy for this to be shot down but I think we are trying to emulate Liverpool's style of play in terms of the front three, (assuming that will be Rashica - Watkins - Traore) and the best midfield three I can recall seeing in the PL was Gerrard - Mascherano - Alonso.  I see Jack in the Alonso role and Luiz as Mascherano, leaving McGinn as the all action box-to-box player. At this stage of our development I think we need someone who can either challenge SJM for a start or be good cover for Luiz as DM when necessary. Not sure Barkley ticks the last box, but McGinn would have to be on his A game constantly to keep his place if Barkley joined - as he should be. 

We can't replicate Liverpool. To do that we have to sell Jack Grealish. The reason Liverpool have no interest in Jack is pacy wingers and hard working midfielders are the foundation of their team. Their fullbacks spray passes around like deep lying playmakers and their centre forward sacrifices everything for the team as theie main goalscorers are their wingers.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

So you’d be happy with Jack playing further back? I’d rather we utilised his attacking and dribbling ability more than anything although his passing is superb too.

I’d like to a see him as the closest player to the CF and working with (top quality) attacking wingers or WF to create and score.

So more like Gerard than Alonso as per your example. Probably best to give McGinn a more disciplined role or, unfortunately (for him), relegated to the bench or rotated in favour of a more imposing CM (win headers and tackles but can actually pass and shoot too).

Yeah it's not an exact comparison, but Jack as the focal point of the team in the centre, drawing people to him, beating a few then playing our forwards into the spaces he's created.   4-2-3-1 is the formation I'd like to see most of with Jack in the middle of the 3, but if Deano insists on 4-3-3 (as he surely will) then that Alonso type role, the conductor if you like but with licence to go forward, is how I'd see him playing. 

Agree on the ideal type of player to be challenging McGinn.

2 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

We can't replicate Liverpool. To do that we have to sell Jack Grealish. The reason Liverpool have no interest in Jack is pacy wingers and hard working midfielders are the foundation of their team. Their fullbacks spray passes around like deep lying playmakers and their centre forward sacrifices everything for the team as theie main goalscorers are their wingers.

I was comparing L'pool's front 3 now with our likely front 3 now (all able to interchange and play each other's positions), then picking what was their best ever midfield 3 (imo) and how we could set up/what we might need to play in a similar style. I don't recall their fullbacks being as important in Gerrard's time as the are now. 

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Given how much this guy just lies, I nearly didn't post it. But does this mean a new striker incoming? 

Loan to buy is good. We'd be letting him go for peanuts after a year on loan in Turkey, especially if he flops there too.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

So you’d be happy with Jack playing further back? I’d rather we utilised his attacking and dribbling ability more than anything although his passing is superb too.

I’d like to a see him as the closest player to the CF and working with (top quality) attacking wingers or WF to create and score.

So more like Gerard than Alonso as per your example. Probably best to give McGinn a more disciplined role or, unfortunately (for him), relegated to the bench or rotated in favour of a more imposing CM (win headers and tackles but can actually pass and shoot too).

We do our opposition a favor the further back me move Jack from the 18 yard box.  

Unless you are a team like Man city who dominate possession it will be difficult to keep Jack forward if he is in a midfield 3.  Until we become a possession dominate team Jack will need to stay in the front 3 to remain effective. 

If we were to switch to some form of a 4-2-3-1 then McGinn will have to be sacrificed. Fully agree there.  He doesn't have the defensive awareness needed for a double pivot position.  

My best guess is Dean will persist with the 4-3-3. Grealish will start on the left because we aren't buying anyone better than him in that position. I still fully believe the Rashica deal was as a replacement for Jack if he decided to leave. 

Just now, Rightdm00 said:

My best guess is Dean will persist with the 4-3-3. Grealish will start on the left because we aren't buying anyone better than him in that position. I still fully believe the Rashica deal was as a replacement for Jack if he decided to leave. 

As we are still trying to sign Rashica (enter thread at your own risk) then where do you think he'll be played if Jack stays as a LF? 

20 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

Loan to buy is a decent shout, but as I’ve mentioned where would we play him? I just can’t see us being in for him.

I think he would give you the option to play Grealish out wide in certain games, and would reduce the reliance on McGinn. No-one should be guaranteed a place in the starting 11, and he'd fill out the competition. That said I agree he probably isn't on our list, but I wouldn't turn my nose up if he were.

18 minutes ago, Awol said:

Yeah it's not an exact comparison, but Jack as the focal point of the team in the centre, drawing people to him, beating a few then playing our forwards into the spaces he's created.   4-2-3-1 is the formation I'd like to see most of with Jack in the middle of the 3, but if Deano insists on 4-3-3 (as he surely will) then that Alonso type role, the conductor if you like but with licence to go forward, is how I'd see him playing. 

Agree on the ideal type of player to be challenging McGinn.

I suppose Jack did play in that kind of position while we were in the Championship, before we signed McGinn (?).

I recall when we battered Wolves and they could not deal with him, he was running through them over and over again. Was also the same against Fulham in POF but couldn’t score and wasn’t helped out by the other players as he was the only one who showed up that day.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Just, he can get us a bucketload of goals and assists and we need to allow him to do that as well as possible. Doesn’t help him having to drop deep just to get the ball, he needs the midfielders behind him to supply him so that he can focus on attack.

I wonder, if we add enough quality during this transfer window (to help him and play with him, as well as having their own individual ability and belief/confidence) having Jack back in the middle could even take his game to the next level...

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

How far away do people see our squad compared to Leicester 5th, Spurs 6th, Wolves 7th or Southampton 11th 

Southampton we can compete with, all it takes is Ings not firing while Watkins (or someone else) does for us but until we make a few more signings they should be stronger than us.

Wolves, Spurs, Leicester and even Everton should be well ahead of us at the end of the season. We are at least 2 seasons away from their level IMO. And that's being optimistic. 

Keep spending £150m a season and we should catch up if we spend it smartly.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Given how much this guy just lies, I nearly didn't post it. But does this mean a new striker incoming? 

Was just about to post this so may as well add it to yours thanks.

Turkish newspaper Fanatik claim Fenerbahce are close to completing a deal for Aston Villa striker Mbwana Samatta.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/club-close-getting-deal-done-aston-villa-player/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

I suppose Jack did play in that kind of position while we were in the Championship, before we signed McGinn (?).

I recall when we battered Wolves and they could not deal with him, he was running through them over and over again. Was also the same against Fulham in POF but couldn’t score and wasn’t helped out by the other players as he was the only one who showed up that day.

spacer.png

Just, he can get us a bucketload of goals and assists and we need to allow him to do that as well as possible. Doesn’t help him having to drop deep just to get tha ball, he needs the midfielders behind him to supply him so that he can focus on attack.

I wonder, if we add enough quality during this transfer window (to help him and play with him, as well as having their own individual ability and belief/confidence) having Jack back in the middle could even take his game to the next level...

Agree with all of that. Maybe we as fans need to change our mindset a bit this season too, away from expecting him to be doing absolutely everything? In attacking terms we shouldn't be a one man team anymore, once he develops an understanding with (but behind) the new front line I think we'll see some mouthwatering football. 

Just now, Awol said:

As we are still trying to sign Rashica (enter thread at your own risk) then where do you think he'll be played if Jack stays as a LF? 

The links to Rashica are tenuous at best. This is a quote from Bremen's Chief Scout from earlier this week, BEFORE Jack signed his new deal 

"They got in touch, yes, I can confirm that," he told Deichstube. "There is nothing concrete. There are a couple of requests for him. We are in intensive and close communication with his management."

Maybe I'm being pessimistic but that sounds like Villa doing it's due diligence more so than an actual attempt to complete a transfer. 

As far as Jack positionally, he is most comfortable out wide. I'm not trying to pigeon hole him as a winger but even when given a free role he likes to drift out wide (mostly left) and cut inside. It just doesn't make much sense to put a winger on either side of him and crowd the parts of the pitch he prefers to operate in. 

My preference for Villa with Traore signed. Find a CM that can replace Hourihane, preferably one that can cover the left side when Jack goes roaming. Let McGinn be the furthest forward of the middle 3 and let Jack run the show from a free role. With better attacking options Jack easily nets 25 goal contributions (goals and assist) and Southgate will have to bring him to Euro 21. 

1 minute ago, Awol said:

Agree with all of that. Maybe we as fans need to change our mindset a bit this season too, away from expecting him to be doing absolutely everything? In attacking terms we shouldn't be a one man team anymore, once he develops an understanding with (but behind) the new front line I think we'll see some mouthwatering football. 

We all want and realise that, the players don’t though because they lack the quality and belief (which is why they just give him the ball at the first opportunity without trying anything themselves).

That’s why we need some major signings to enhance the first team so Jack carries less of the burden and others can shine too. He can focus on his strengths then and bring out the best in others, we desperately need some players who will be on his wavelength rather than be overawed at playing in the same side as him.

What a team we will have then...

Just now, beachboys1 said:

only 2 fit strikers  now

I'm sure because Samatta is leaving we will most certainly buy a new second striker.

You see King would be a very good option for time being, he fits as a second striker, fits almost anywhere around the frontline and attacking midfield.

I would buy him.

5 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I'm sure because Samatta is leaving we will most certainly buy a new second striker.

You see King would be a very good option for time being, he fits as a second striker, fits almost anywhere around the frontline and attacking midfield.

I would buy him.

King or brewster are the current twitter rumours...i would kind of hope we could bring in someone with a bit more WOW factor as we are only an injury to watkins away from disaster same as last season really

• Like 1