Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

8 hours ago, 7392craig said:

I agree. Maybe the prospect thing was a bit harsh on my behalf, but you see my point. It’s not his talent I’m questioning, it’s his mentality. And I’ve questioned that since he left Everton, but that’s besides the point. He’s definitely a great signing for someone like us if we could get him going, I don’t know where we’d play him though.

(in midfield preferably) 😉

I'm confident there's nothing in this Barkley link, in fact I have no idea where it has come from. But if I may, what has he done to make you question his mentality? 

I just don't see a player with a poor mentality playing that many minutes for Chelsea and England. Physically he looks an absolute specimen.  

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'm confident there's nothing in this Barkley link, in fact I have no idea where it has come from. But if I may, what has he done to make you question his mentality? 

I just don't see a player with a poor mentality playing that many minutes for Chelsea and England. Physically he looks an absolute specimen.  

Physically he does seem fine, but his fitness has been mentioned a few times in the past. Several disciplinary issues over the years, including a few well publicised ones. I know that could be said about Jack too, but as a Villa fan I know better. Maybe it is all in the past, I don’t know. He only made 13 starts last season, the money he’d cost and the wages he’d want would be too much for a club in our position.

Wish I shared the confidence so many of you have in Konsa being a first choice CB this season. He wasn't particularly impressive over the course of the season and despite showing some improvement (as did the whole team) in the final few games last time out, he was Antonio scoring courtesy of his howler on the final day away from getting absolutely slaughtered on here.

I think he'll go on to be a good player at this level but I hope we don't end up being made to regret not getting in another ready-made option to partner Mings this season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

Absolutely. Konsa was regularly picked ahead of Tuanzebe for the U21s. And that's with the 'he plays for Man U' bias. 

Konsa progressed massively last year in my opinion, and we'd be mad to halt that development.

I think Konsa will play regularly for us this season and show how good he is. Smith think he’ll play for England and Grealish says he’s the toughest player to dribble past in training. I think he’s brilliant, I’m a big fan of Konsa

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ramshackler said:

Rumours Chelsea may be looking to let RLC out on loan. That would be a perfect fit for us.

Yes we don't want to develop others clubs players but Chelsea will continue to push on and spend and he may naturally become surplus. Definitely worth a gamble would add real strength and dynamism to our CM

Can't see it, the guy is an absolute baller.
Early career was stunted being at Chelsea but no doubt if he could stay fit the past few seasons and this he'd be a regular starter for them.

Guy has everything.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

Several disciplinary issues over the years, including a few well publicised ones. I know that could be said about Jack too, but as a Villa fan I know better

I think this means “as a Villa fan we are happy to forgive Grealish all his indiscretions because he’s an ace player” :)

7 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Wish I shared the confidence so many of you have in Konsa being a first choice CB this season. He wasn't particularly impressive over the course of the season and despite showing some improvement (as did the whole team) in the final few games last time out, he was Antonio scoring courtesy of his howler on the final day away from getting absolutely slaughtered on here.

I think he'll go on to be a good player at this level but I hope we don't end up being made to regret not getting in another ready-made option to partner Mings this season.

Let's just replace the whole team bar a couple of players 

Konsa will make mistakes this season, but i fully expect him to develop further and in time could be one of our great CBs that we love to laud. Appreciate it's difficult to see mistakes on the pitch that lead to goals but we've got someone with huge potential here and need to not get on his back. If we bought in a first choice CB, Konsa would get a lot less game time and his development would slow. Not sure how we ever expect these players to become top class players if we just buy players to play over them 

• Like 1

If we sign both Rashica & Traoré then I think Jack is getting his wish and will be playing in the centre. AM or SS would be great for him and playing with those two, scoring and creating chances for Ollie, is going to be something special in terms of attack (a vast upgrade).

Therefore, signing someone like Barkley doesn’t make much sense to me. We need strength and defensive ability (also good in the air) in MF so we aren’t too light and easily overpowered there, rather than another more attack minded player.

None of the players we’ve been linked to would be content to sit on the bench (and what would be the point of such signings with how weak our team is?) and we need major upgrades for the first XI.

I’ve posted the link a couple of times, but this is the kind of MF we need imo:

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/data-analysis/finding-new-defensive-midfielder-for-spurs-data-analysis-statistics

• Like 1

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Mings is more calamity prone. Shall we replace him too?

I don't think so, no. Personally I think he's the better player, and in terms of him being left footed gives an important balance to the defence, particularly given the way Smith likes his teams to play, and bringing in another in that mould would be overkill with Hause already being here too.

Forgive me for pointing out that you might have misinterpreted something, but I also didn't suggest that we should have prioritised replacing him in the first place. My salient point was that I don't rate Konsa as much as many seem to here, and don't I hope we don't end up regretting that he'll likely be a first choice centre back this season/that area not being one of those priorities. I'm of course aware of the fact that the priority for recruitment was in other areas of the pitch (as all of our rumoured/completed business points to) and as we saw last season there's a downside to making wholesale changes in one window. It was just an opinion on his individual quality, these two things can exist separately.

• Like 2

Here’s what I think we need to improve as a team:

1) A central midfielder (someone like Nemanja Matic but younger)

2) We’re going to need better squad options from the bench if we’re to improve. We’re too reliant on our better players 

I think we’re only a couple of players away from having a very good side. We’re building a team here, hopefully other players will see that and be attracted to us

35 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

If we sign both Rashica & Traoré then I think Jack is getting his wish and will be playing in the centre. AM or SS would be great for him and playing with those two, scoring and creating chances for Ollie, is going to be something special in terms of attack (a vast upgrade).

Therefore, signing someone like Barkley doesn’t make much sense to me. We need strength and defensive ability (also good in the air) in MF so we aren’t too light and easily overpowered there, rather than another more attack minded player.

None of the players we’ve been linked to would be content to sit on the bench (and what would be the point of such signings with how weak our team is?) and we need major upgrades for the first XI.

I’ve posted the link a couple of times, but this is the kind of MF we need imo:

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/data-analysis/finding-new-defensive-midfielder-for-spurs-data-analysis-statistics

Happy for this to be shot down but I think we are trying to emulate Liverpool's style of play in terms of the front three, (assuming that will be Rashica - Watkins - Traore) and the best midfield three I can recall seeing in the PL was Gerrard - Mascherano - Alonso.  I see Jack in the Alonso role and Luiz as Mascherano, leaving McGinn as the all action box-to-box player. At this stage of our development I think we need someone who can either challenge SJM for a start or be good cover for Luiz as DM when necessary. Not sure Barkley ticks the last box, but McGinn would have to be on his A game constantly to keep his place if Barkley joined - as he should be. 

2 hours ago, GENTLEMAN said:

For sure. He needs to move on for his own benefit. Him over Barkley for me. 

A lot of Chelsea fans seem to think his injury ruined him but before that he was their best player behind Hazard. I would like us to try and go for a loan with an option to buy. I think it would allow us to assess him and determine whether he has recovered and whether he would be worth a 15-25 million fee. I think if he did recover he would be perfect for us as he is big strong and fast whilst having a lot of on the ball skill. Having him and Mcgin competing for that box to box role would be very good and we could play him there against more physically imposing teams like Burnley. You could also bring him on late against teams like Newcastle to prevent carrol from being brought on and winning everything in midfield. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

I think this means “as a Villa fan we are happy to forgive Grealish all his indiscretions because he’s an ace player” :)

Sort of, we all do it. But also I know it seems that he’s matured as a person over the last couple of years. I don’t know that about Barkley.

42 minutes ago, Awol said:

Happy for this to be shot down but I think we are trying to emulate Liverpool's style of play in terms of the front three, (assuming that will be Rashica - Watkins - Traore) and the best midfield three I can recall seeing in the PL was Gerrard - Mascherano - Alonso.  I see Jack in the Alonso role and Luiz as Mascherano, leaving McGinn as the all action box-to-box player. At this stage of our development I think we need someone who can either challenge SJM for a start or be good cover for Luiz as DM when necessary. Not sure Barkley ticks the last box, but McGinn would have to be on his A game constantly to keep his place if Barkley joined - as he should be. 

So you’d be happy with Jack playing further back? I’d rather we utilised his attacking and dribbling ability more than anything although his passing is superb too.

I’d like to a see him as the closest player to the CF and working with (top quality) attacking wingers or WF to create and score.

So more like Gerard than Alonso as per your example. Probably best to give McGinn a more disciplined role or, unfortunately (for him), relegated to the bench or rotated in favour of a more imposing CM (win headers and tackles but can actually pass and shoot too).

I think Barkley would conflict with Jack wanting to go central and he won’t come to us (if he’s even interested) to sit on the bench... he may get in ahead of McGinn (who, when fit, could arguably be the better player) but, again, I’d prefer a tall, strong CM or even DM to help us out in the tougher games as we do look lightweight in midfield.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

Sort of, we all do it. But also I know it seems that he’s matured as a person over the last couple of years. I don’t know that about Barkley.

That's a risk I'd be willing to take, especially if we could get him in on loan to buy. But that's just me. There's so much ability there and he's still only 26. I really think Dean Smith could be the one to nurture that and get the best out of him, like Grealish

8 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

That's a risk I'd be willing to take, especially if we could get him in on loan to buy. But that's just me. There's so much ability there and he's still only 26. I really think Dean Smith could be the one to nurture that and get the best out of him, like Grealish

Loan to buy is a decent shout, but as I’ve mentioned where would we play him? I just can’t see us being in for him.