Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

53 minutes ago, thunderball said:

According to YorkshireAVFC on Johnny Goulds podcast, we can spend up to £240m nett this window (due to delayed FFP) but would need to sell next summer, but more sensibly we could spend £120m-£140m nett this window and raise wages by about £20m per year, and not have to worry about offloading next summer.

Its obvious we are going to need to sell this window: Hogan, Guilbert and Samatta have value; Jota and Lansbury will be more difficult to shift. I think Nakamba showed he is worth keeping last night. Hourihane might also be considered surplus depending on who arrives.

would be fairly ironic if if Hourihane got the heave ho and Grealish stayed after Hourihane pimping Jack out in interviews at the start of the summer

22 minutes ago, sne said:

Only watched cameos and the odd game from Barkley in the last few years. How would he fit in with a midfield constellation of Luiz, McGinn and or Grealish in CM?

For the money he'd cost I think we should and could get better. Not that I think he is a target for us anyway or that he'd be interested in coming here.

We couldn't play all these players at once. I think it will sort itself out but it gives us options for home and away. I would see it more like post lockdown with Barkley replacing Hourihane and the RW being rotated between Rashica (if he signs), Traore and Trez. Home we may be more adventurous with all three forwards playing and McGinn or Barkely in the midfield with Luiz and Jack.

Just now, thunderball said:

We couldn't play all these players at once. I think it will sort itself out but it gives us options for home and away. I would see it more like post lockdown with Barkley replacing Hourihane and the RW being rotated between Rashica (if he signs), Traore and Trez. Home we may be more adventurous with all three forwards playing and McGinn or Barkely in the midfield with Luiz and Jack.

Yeah, that's why if we sign a new CM I want him to be a different type than Barkley is.

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah, that's why if we sign a new CM I want him to be a different type than Barkley is.

I guess it priorities. Ideally we could have both with competition for all positions as well as variety, but we could buy who we are missing in another window. Very good CM are expensive, maybe that our priority next summer if we crack the balacnce and goal threat? May be its an opportunist deal - Chelsea may have offered him off-market via Terry, they have recruited heavily and have a new feel about them.

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

If Palace sign Benrahma I wonder if that’s in anticipation of Zaha leaving.

I could see Zaha in a Villa shirt.

im sure palace fans would spin that logic to us being linked with benrahma meaning that jack was leaving or rashica now, or traore

they can build a squad and move people around, Zaha's the same as Jack, our clubs rightly priced him at the value they are worth to them and everyone else said no thanks

and I don't really see the fuss on benrahma, potentially being bought late in the window for a figure less than what was being touted, not sure if they've tried to play hardball and its failed or the interest was never really there, no offence to palace but the now rumoured £20m when he was talked up as £30m to Chelsea at the start of the summer, I would have thought that figure would have more than just them circling him

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

I guess it priorities. Ideally we could have both with competition for all positions as well as variety, but we could buy who we are missing in another window. Very good CM are expensive, maybe that our priority next summer if we crack the balacnce and goal threat? May be its an opportunist deal - Chelsea may have offered him off-market via Terry, they have recruited heavily and have a new feel about them.

Maybe. For that type of money I hope we look elsewhere as I'm not a fan. As someone mentioned I think he looks a bit robotic.

Obviously a huge improvement on Hourihane but if we have that type of money to spend on a CM then I hope we are a bit more creative and savvy, and looks for other attributes in the main.