Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

16 minutes ago, dukes said:

I really hope this is not Steve Stride, why on earth would he want to tarnish his relationship with the fans by getting involved with this kind of shit.... It never ends well. 

This is the same guy who said we are definitely not in for Traore. Basically full of shit.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TRO said:

Ndidi -Leicester

Hayden- Newcastle

just to name 2......

Everton just signed Allan.

Look, I'm not saying its easy, but someone has to shield Konsa and Mings from midfield......I just hope Dougie can.

Your point was that other clubs had powerful DCM and we should get one of our own (I agree this would be great). My point was that they are not at all easy to come by and decent ones are extremely expensive. You were going to give me examples of these mid-table clubs who have commanding, imposing DCMs.

Its easy to cite Veira, Yaya Toure or Pogba but they’re few and far between and carry a massive premium 

Ndidi would be ideal but he does not fit the category of a mid-table club - he is being chased by CL clubs and would be £50m plus, 

Allan is less than 5’9” so no taller than Luis and certainly not physically imposing

Hayden has the physical attributes but not really the footballing abilities required - he wouldn’t hold a place in our midfield

Look, I absolutely agree that a commanding DCM would be great but it will probably be next summer

32 minutes ago, Awol said:

Even if Grealish’s raw number of goals and assists go down by moving him central, I think the overall attack will improve when he has intelligent players in front of him. 

It's a fair point, but I just can't help but think he benefits from getting the ball in a bit of space. I hate to use my own footballing experiences as examples, but I can sort of relate to it being easier to dance past a defender/midfielder if you get the ball when you can position your back towards the chalk line. I can't really explain this well, but I think his ability and balance when he dances past players, is much better utilized when he can free roam from left than being forced deeper into a central role where he will be closed down much more quickly. 

This probably didn't make much sense and I didn't expect Grealish to succeed from a wide position to begin with, so I should just stop typing. 

7 hours ago, TRO said:

yeah I get that.

but I don't see Luiz and McGinn as the 2 holding players, sorry.....I could be wrong.....but I see John McGinn as more attacking, sure when he is at his best he can turn the ball over, but I don't see that duo stopping good opposition, from raiding us and putting pressure of the 2 CB's

maybe its just me.

I like both players, but don't see them in the same light as you do.....I am looking for more defensive capability.

With wet spam apparently looking at a 30 million deal for Tarkowski i would be all over that.

Konsa has the mobility pace and passing to step into the DM role.

Also sures up the CB position.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TRO said:
  • That was last season.....they might not finish that high this season.
  • Allan is aggressive and protects the CB's.....thats what I want to see, his height is not ideal granted....Michael Essien in his youth would have been good too,even though he was not that tall.

I was just stating what my ideal CDM would be.... sometimes compromises have to be made.....but surely you can distinguish the difference between an Attacking midfielder and a Defensive midfielder.

Hang on - you said we need someone to extinguish “aerial threats” - Allan is 5’9”!!!

15 minutes ago, dounavilla said:

This is the same guy who said we are definitely not in for Traore. Basically full of shit.

Yeah full of it. I thought it was that bluenose troll account that had everyone waiting for a midnight exclusive, so looked through tweets. Last summer he revealed Barca were in for Neil Taylor, then not to worry he’s not going as Smith has promised him left wing position in front of Targett - oh and vice captain role. 

say no more. 

52 minutes ago, Awol said:

Even if Grealish’s raw number of goals and assists go down by moving him central, I think the overall attack will improve when he has intelligent players in front of him. 

We need a box to box player like Allan next to McGinn.

We don't need a playmaker there. We need more nastiness. Making us uncomfortable to play against. We are too nice.

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We don't need a playmaker there. We need more nastiness. Making us uncomfortable to play against. We are too nice.

Allan is not a box to box player 🙄

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Do you know much about the players you comment about? You hate Traore from the bottom of your heart, but you do not seem to know what he offers or his style of play. Now you comment about Allan without knowing what Allan offers to a team. You previously also compared Wesley and Watkins, two different kinds of strikers who offers something completely different to a team...

Edited by MentalM
missing a w in two!
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TRO said:

yes,...but that is not saying, there aren't exceptions.....my point is being taken too literally.

folk interpreting that just a big lump will do, that quality doesn't matter.......that is not what I have said.

I have give ample examples of my ideal CDM's.....I don't know every one in world football to give you specific names of ones we could attract.

Pepe himself has been on record as saying my team is a tad too small.......not my words, his.

Size does matter, too many small players get physically steam rollered, and with physique comes power, unless they are world class and can make up for it......and of course we all know that there are and have been  truly great diminuitive players.

There is a point there, making examples of exceptions is missing it.

I doubt anyone here wouldn’t want a Patrick Veira or a Yaya Toure in the middle of the park but you can’t just go out a pick one up.

At the moment we have Luis with Nakamba as cover - you might think that they are not strong enough and you may be right, but they are probably the best a mid-table to relegation zone team can expect

Its pointless comparing us the Man City or citing Kante, Mackele or Essien as examples of what we need - that sort of player is out of our realm currently.

You mentioned Allan as a player we should aspire to - I would argue that in Luis we have got an equivalent, who at 22 has a higher ceiling

We’ve had a long period in the doldrums - we are not going to turn that round and have a perfect squad overnight, it will take a few more years. We just need to win three or four more games this season - that will be improvement enough for me

8 hours ago, TRO said:

well.....Grealish is attacking and McGinn is essentially attacking.

are you going to leave it all up to Luiz to stop the opposition pouring forward?

If John is firing on all cylinders, he could wade in, Jack as much as I love him, doesn't stop Marauding raiders....but for me there is more questions than answers......not sufficient dedicated steel in midfield for me, sorry.

So which one of those would you drop to play, say, Isaac Hayden (your previous example of the type of player compatible club utilise)?

9 minutes ago, MentalM said:

Do you know much about the players you comment about? You hate Traore from the bottom of your heart, but you do not seem to know what he offers or his style of play. Now you comment about Allan without knowing what Allan offers to a team. You previously also compared Wesley and Watkins, two different kinds of strikers who offers something completely different to a team...

I don't have hate for anyone. That's a very strong word mister.

I know what Traore offers. Just don't rate him from what i've seen and heard of him.

Allan can do every role in midfield. He is a complete midfielder. He is a good ball winner, tenacious, is a good passer and good technique. To me you get more out of his full package in a box to box role, although he is more than capable of playing as a pure dmf.

I have not compared Wesley and Watkins style of play, i've simply said Watkins is a much better striker, which he is.

Edited by villalad21

10 minutes ago, MentalM said:

He also preferred Nyland to Heaton after one Carabao Cup. Best to not take serious. 

He also mentioned in Traore thread he hasnt seen him play or know his position then he ignored it when pointed out

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

He also preferred Nyland to Heaton after one Carabao Cup. Best to not take serious. 

He also mentioned in Traore thread he hasnt seen him play or know his position then he ignored it when pointed out

Stop spreading fake news.