Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

Just now, paul514 said:

A crazy price for Watkins and a market rate purchase for Edouard.

I like Édouard aswel and think he would be excellent signing but really has he been tested anymore than Watkins , Scottish League is shocking and I've heard people say he has played European football but in all serious, while he has been at Celtic they have never qualified for group stages of champions League

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Why can't we just make a bid for Edouard though? What is the point of spending crazy money on Olly Watkins 🤔

Have we bid for either? They aren't exclusive, we might get both.

I don't think that price is crazy for Watkins. I think he'll play at leasy 100 games for us in the next three seasons and be great.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pete101 said:

I like Édouard aswel and think he would be excellent signing but really has he been tested anymore than Watkins , Scottish League is shocking and I've heard people say he has played European football but in all serious, while he has been at Celtic they have never qualified for group stages of champions League

Edouard has massive pedigree with France underage sides and has huge talent and potential. Watkins is 2/3 years older and was never called up by England at any age grade. Not writing him off, but we'll be taken to the cleaners if we pay what's been reported IMO

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

Benrahma has improved, and showed he is no flash in the pan. The market has also moved on. He’s a £30m player all day long, just depends on wages. The hammers pay silly money, we can’t compete.

Maddison was a £20m championship signing in 2018, shows it’s all down to scouting, belief and the individual and nothing to do with what league they are in. Maddison is now worth £80m

West Ham are struggling for money with a high wage bill. We're loaded with a low wage bill. Can't compete my arse.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

West Ham are struggling for money with a high wage bill. We're loaded with a low wage bill. Can't compete my arse.

Totally true,,my wet spam buddy says they are hoping to use the diangana money to bid for benrahma..but with only 12m being offered up front and rumoured medical in the morning i wonder if we can steal him from under west brom's nose.Now that would make my month!

Edited by OLDVILLAIN

2 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I just don’t get transfers anymore. Why did Haaland cost less than Ollie Watkins would?

Because the transfer fee is only part of the cost. The wages, signing on fees, agents fees, bonuses. Also Ollie is English. Always a premium for English players, more so when they play for England too  

For me, at this stage, Watkins at £24m or Edouard at £40m is a swallow hard and cross your fingers decision, both could work and look great business, both might not step up. I agree that Edouard likely has the higher ceiling, especially with age on his side. He was the signing I hoped we would make, but would love either (and both!)

Just now, useless said:

Haaland had a release clause for twenty-one million euros, if he was to leave Dortmund now he'd cost £100m plus.

He also was sent to Dortmund by his agent so they get another bite of the cherry in 2 years time when a big club pays €120m as a 22y.o.

4 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I just don’t get transfers anymore. Why did Haaland cost less than Ollie Watkins would?

Why did Haaland only cost £8m for Salzburg the same summer Bournemouth spent £20m on Dominic Solanke?

Many clubs are silly and don't broaden the net wide enough with transfers.

Plus there's the mental thing of players making big jumps too soon. Playing in front of 6,000 and 80,000 isn't the same and some players' brain will fall out as they can't handle it. Haaland might have struggled if he'd gone straight from Molde to Dortmund. Probably not though as they are sensible and wouldn't have had him near a pitch if he wasn't ready.

Regardless, Brentford have better recruitment than Man Utd.

Atalanta have better recruitment than Real Madrid.

The bigger sides will catch up eventually, but it's an area where the smaller teams can enjoy themselves for now. Hoping Lange and McKenzie can make us a side who don't waste £25m every year on crap players.

In this particular case, Haaland had a buyout clause, Watkins doesn't. Annoying, but if we want him, we have to pay the price. 

15 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Nor had Vardy at Watkins age. You just can’t call it.

Agreed, there are exceptions, but they're pretty rare. For every Vardy there are 10 Jordan Rhodes. Obviously, if we sign Watkins I'll back him and hope he's more like the former, but for £24-28m I'd be hoping for much more pedigree than 1 good season in the Championship. Kevin Volland went for just over half that amount the other day and is a fantastic striker

52 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

True but West Ham have three years of PL income when it comes to FFP, and ours was Championship. The rules effectively say we HAVE to have a lower wage bill than the other teams. Now, maybe FFP is no longer really going to be a thing, but that’s the issue as Purslow said a while back... partly we need to just rack up more years in the PL. The money is no use in the bank if the rules say we can’t spend it. 

On 11/02/2020 at 23:23, Tomaszk said:

Teun Koopmeiners, 21(AZ) - Holding midfielder who took the captain's armband from Ron Vlaar this season. Composed player with a wand of a left foot

Ibrahim Sangare, 23 (Toulouse) - 6' 3" centre mid can break up play and use the ball very well

Both still available I reckon.

Sangare would be under £10m and the preference as he can play in the more advanced role and let Grealish go to LW.

Edited by Tomaszk
And I got his age wrong! He's only 22 now.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

Can anyone explain the obsession with Rico Henry please?

Thought I'd bring this over to this thread. But seeing as he's a SHA fan, don't think there is going to be a link there. Also don't think he's going to be a massive upgrade on Targett either. 

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

I don't get why Watkins money is issue when much less than spent on those donkeys Haller and Joelinton and Everton paying 50 million in 2018 for Richarlison who has 26 goals 5 assists in 71 games