Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

Just now, holteend1982 said:

How have our owners tried to make us belive we are the new Man City? You've seen how much money they have and have come up with that assumption on you're own, they've saved us from administration took us up and invested heavily in 1st team players, they are revamping the whole youth system which shows they are in it for the long run and stuck with Smith despite being 7 points adrift at one point unlike city's owners who came in throwing money everywhere and sacking managers. 

They want us to be established in european competition in the next 5 years.

35 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Mate i feel the same way, our owners make us believe we are trying to be the new Man City and then we are reportedly linked to all these guys its comical. Sky sports had breaking news on our bids so it must be true. Celtic want £40M for Edouard apparently so we can forget that deal as we should not pay no more than £30M after all he is playing in the SPL. As much as i dont want to pay £18M for Watkins I believe we will end up sealing the deal and paying more. Just sickens me watching teams like Everton going after all these top players when that really should be us not to mention Wolves.. My Aston Villa how have thee sunken this low 😞

What big signings? James Rodriguez?? He has more of a chance of flopping than succeeding. Allan, seems like an alright DM, may do ok. However, both are 29 and will want big wages. Way more than Villa care to gamble on. This makes me personally happy. Everton you keep them. 

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

That’s a lot of transfer windows with incremental improvement each time.  

• Like 1

I like versatility in players and there are clear benefits to being able to mix things up during a match and between matches. I do get the feeling, though, that by getting in Watkins and Cash, Smith will think we've got enough for RW, even with it being both player's secondary position. Whilst I think we need round pegs in round holes and I'd love an out-and-out LW, RW and ST to come in, I think if we get those two in and someone like Rashica (which looks increasingly unlikely) who can play LW and up front, Smith might think that we're covered across the front line, which leaves me nervous. I also don't think we'll get more than one striker in - I think it'll be Watkins and that's it. Whilst I'd love 3/4 players to come in across our front line, realistically I don't think it'll happen now. 

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

But still incomparable to the Man City model. Add 3 or 4 first team players over the next few seasons and there's no reason why we couldn't be in European competitions

40 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If our Fullback options at the end of the window are

RB: Cash/Guibert

LB: Targett/Henry

It is a HUGE boost.

I think people underestimate how important aggressive attacking Fullbacks are in the modern game.

Agreed. They’re essentially an extension of the attack and double up as wingers. The best full backs are often the ones that find themselves further forward than the wingers having overlapped. 

Robertson and Trent being the best two examples in world football at the moment.

Would love us to get Henry. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MellbergsBeard said:

This is the best position we have been in in 5 years? Wake up and smell the roses we survived on the last day of the season. Do you really think any player Everton or wolves want would choose us over them? It will take time to establish ourselves as a premier league team again. 

I personally am glad we are not spunking money and wages on players chasing their last contract, we know the implications of this happening! 

We built a new squad last season a few shrewd signings this year will significantly change our team, its a strange pre season but everyone is in the same boat.

UTV

Wake up and smell the roses ?? I didnt say they should choose us over those clubs but it still sickens me to see this happening obviously realistically we are far behind them and wont get the quality of players they are getting, obviously i know that but im just simply stating it hurts knowing we are this far behind. And yes and some would say we deserve to be in the championship And lucky to be in the premier league . So how do we solve this by filling our squad with lower league players of course 😏🤦🏽‍♂️

Wolves have a bit of work to do this window. With Doherty gone (bizarre decision) and Jonny out for the foreseeable, they’ve lost two of their better attacking outlets. 

They’re still stronger than us, but with 4/5 additions, we could easily compete with them next year. 

45 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

If we can't get Odouard I think we should take a look at Myron Boadu at AZ. 19 year-old Dutch international who scored 20 in 39 last season, including 6 in the Europa League.

Newcastle were quoted something like £20m earlier in the window, so could be gettable for that price.

Calvin Stengs looks the part too!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

What big signings? James Rodriguez?? He has more of a chance of flopping than succeeding. Allan, seems like an alright DM, may do ok. However, both are 29 and will want big wages. Way more than Villa care to gamble on. This makes me personally happy. Everton you keep them. 

Everton's transfer policy is very hit and miss. They offer big, long-term contracts to outcasts from bigger clubs and hope it meshes. It's not a model to aspire towards.

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

Everton's transfer policy is very hit and miss. They offer big, long-term contracts to outcasts from bigger clubs and hope it meshes. It's not a model to aspire towards.

They’re such a mish mash of players. I think Everton are in a bit of a mess actually. They’re better than us, but I see no long term in what they’re doing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It is a HUGE boost.

I think people underestimate how important aggressive attacking Fullbacks are in the modern game.

Underated post

As well as quality in the first team this window needs to be about improving the options and squad depth. Having 4 high quality options at full back means we can easily rotate players with injuries and drops in form.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RicRic said:

Mate i feel the same way, our owners make us believe we are trying to be the new Man City and then we are reportedly linked to all these guys its comical. Sky sports had breaking news on our bids so it must be true. Celtic want £40M for Edouard apparently so we can forget that deal as we should not pay no more than £30M after all he is playing in the SPL. As much as i dont want to pay £18M for Watkins I believe we will end up sealing the deal and paying more. Just sickens me watching teams like Everton going after all these top players when that really should be us not to mention Wolves.. My Aston Villa how have thee sunken this low 😞

We need to be patient, FFP means we (anyone) just cant splash the cash. Two £50/60m players wouldn’t push us much more forward than buying promising youngsters, look at West Ham and Everton. After a decade of neglect we need to build from the bottom up, there will come a time when marquee signings will be right but we are a few years off that. For me the policy is correct. Mid table security is the next step, the following season we can challenge for European places.

It will be interesting to see how Sheffield Utd do this season, I feel momentum for them will be difficult.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It is a HUGE boost.

Calm down 😉

It”s a good strengthening of the match day squad but it ain’t huge.

HUGE is bringing in a ST who can actually score and wingers/wide forwards who can take the pressure of Jack.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Leeds interested in signing Rodrigo de Paul. Really good player. One I am jealous of if they pull it off...

It would be incredibly upsetting yes.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Our battle isn't with Wolves Everton et Al. We need to be better than Brighton, Newcastle, Leeds, Fulham etc. Try and get a comfortable 12th or 13th this season. A couple of top 6 scalps will be a lovely bonus. 

This is why the likes of Watkins etc should be able to get us there. Also I genuinely believe that the players from last season can improve with added competition and the variety of the new players coming in. 

This 100%

We are not jumping to top 6 this year. We need to stay in the league and move up a few places. That's it for right now  

• Like 2