Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

25 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I thought he looked very clumsy on the ball for Bournemouth a lot throughout. Simple 5 yard stuff. Saying that i also thought he was excellent in both games against us last season. Just like for like, Grujic is better i think but they'd command a big fee Hertha. Billing, getable.

If I remember correctly he should’ve been sent off when we were at home against them, he lost his head a bit and was committing a lot of fouls and eventually got took off by his manager before he got his second yellow card.  I thought he was a liability for them. I’ve obviously seen him play better since but not to the level where I think he’d improve us.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

At the risk of sounding like a demanding teenager on Twitter...

I know the common opinion is that no-one is really doing deals, but here are some of the deals that Prem teams have completed for potential first team players:

Arsenal: Willian

Brighton: Veltman, Lallana

Chelsea: Werner, Ziyech

Fulham: Robinson

Liverpool: Tsimikas

Man City: Ake, Torres

Sheff Utd: Ramsdale

Southampton: Salisu, Walker-Peters

Spurs: Hojbjerg

West Brom: Pereira

Now, I know a number of these were essentially agreed before the season ended (Willian, Lallana, Pereira etc) and some were release clauses (Ake etc), but also some of these were just standard, negotiated deals. 

It’s not always the case that clubs wait to line-up replacements before selling, and it’s not always the case that clubs hold out for more bids before deals get completed.

So what you're saying is the 20 PL clubs have done maybe 10 deals between them. Don't think we're getting too left behind really. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonjon said:

It's a waiting game for us all, I very much doubt if you will get Watkins until we have found his replacement, we are rumoured to have got several irons in the fire, but nothing forthcoming as yet, we all have to be patient.

Could be possible that Watkins asking price is reduced once Brentford have replacements. Surely no way (with Covid also) Brentford could afford 5-10mill on a striker just to sit on the bench. Maybe they could I just can't see it.

Have to admire from afar how Brighton are doing their business and the calibre of player they are getting but not getting fleeced. Veltman. I mean.....Brighton. Part of me things Ajax seen them coming a mile off and there's something Brighton don't know but, if he's fit and ready to go, what a signing. He'd start for us. Easy.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SeanVilla said:

Could be possible that Watkins asking price is reduced once Brentford have replacements. Surely no way (with Covid also) Brentford could afford 5-10mill on a striker just to sit on the bench. Maybe they could I just can't see it.

i would assume they are fully expecting Watkins & Benrahma to leave this window, so know they have they money to spend on replacements/players generally.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I thought he looked very clumsy on the ball for Bournemouth a lot throughout. Simple 5 yard stuff. Saying that i also thought he was excellent in both games against us last season. Just like for like, Grujic is better i think but they'd command a big fee Hertha. Billing, getable.

I don't think Hertha would want a big fee considering he plays for Liverpool 😉 but at the same time your point is valid because Liverpool are the experts of getting big fees for players with even less experience. Ibe, Solanke etc.

20 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I didn't realise Billing is Danish.

Do you know till I see that video I didnt know he was Danish either.

21 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i would assume they are fully expecting Watkins & Benrahma to leave this window, so know they have they money to spend on replacements/players generally.

Yes but when they get those replacements in, they are at the mercy of the buyer, because I would assume they would then "need" to sell. The longer the window goes on the cheaper the players get. I don't think anyone will pay the quoted £25m for Watkins and £30m for Benrahma. It would just be madness. Especially when you can get better more proven players for cheaper i.e. Rashica

34 minutes ago, rubberman said:

So what you're saying is the 20 PL clubs have done maybe 10 deals between them. Don't think we're getting too left behind really. 

Also, we only secured prem status a few weeks ago, the last club to do so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnnyp said:

It's a long window. We have to believe the club are working hard. There is a theory that because we hear nothing, nothing's happening. Media only got sniff of Konsa, Wesley and others the day of the transfer or the day before. Wouldn't even surprise me in the slightest if Watkins isn't even a person of interest. Personally i don't want to see massive changes anyway. We need to add, obviously. 3 to 4 into the first team and we'll be good.

I believe the club are working hard to get deals done. I’m also not complaining, just stating a few facts for context, and trying to show how not all transfers only get done when selling teams get replacements in.

The only thing I’m concerned about, is whether we’re not getting deals done because we’re content being in amongst ‘the pack’ of other clubs trying to get good value deals.

As we seemingly have good owners who are still willing and able to commit financially, and we also need reinforcements to push away from the bottom 4/5 positions, if deals aren’t being done because we’re putting in low offers, then I’d personally rather we just went in for our top 3-4 targets with excellent offers to get them done and in the door, and then maybe went for the ‘Plan B’ options for positions that we might feel are necessary but not vital.

Just as an example... instead of trying to get a striker, a winger, a CM, a fullback and a goalkeeper all on permanents within our budget, I’d rather we just went all in for a striker, a winger and a CM, and then maybe brought in reliable loans for the fullback and keeper (ie: Reina etc).

This is all hypothetical under my ‘IF’ scenario. If not, and we’re being held up by selling clubs, then fine 💁‍♂️😎

• Like 2

Purslow is no mug, neither is he a Daniel Levy, I am sure they know what they need, have their plan A, and C for those positions, have made contact with those clubs/agents and are now waiting for the whole market to fall into place. Every club has to line up their own targets or replacements; agents need to weigh up better opportunities while they exist before the choose to accept offers. We will strengthen and likely get our main targets but its a quiet market so far, like a cagey game of chess.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Purslow is no mug, neither is he a Daniel Levy, I am sure they know what they need, have their plan A, and C for those positions, have made contact with those clubs/agents and are now waiting for the whole market to fall into place. Every club has to line up their own targets or replacements; agents need to weigh up better opportunities while they exist before the choose to accept offers. We will strengthen and likely get our main targets but its a quiet market so far, like a cagey game of chess.

Whenever tightness and money are mentioned there is always a Levy dig lol

1 hour ago, Johnnyp said:

Have to admire from afar how Brighton are doing their business and the calibre of player they are getting but not getting fleeced. Veltman. I mean.....Brighton. Part of me things Ajax seen them coming a mile off and there's something Brighton don't know but, if he's fit and ready to go, what a signing. He'd start for us. Easy.

I’ll keep saying like I have for years, Brighton are going to be a top team in the next 5 years. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

I’ll keep saying like I have for years, Brighton are going to be a top team in the next 5 years. 

If you've been saying it for 5 years... Then you're wrong. 😜

• Haha 4