Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

I'd love to think our owners are in the mindset of with the covid discount on players ( I know that sounds awful ) we might be better to invest a bit more this summer than next when prices will probably inflate back up , but who really knows

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

I’m not sure why you’ve all decided Grealish is staying...it’s all a bit moot on that front

Why bother assuming otherwise? He is our player and one who we all have great affection for. Let the media speculate all they want. I am not going to worry about it. If he ever leaves he will go with my thanks, as long as he is here he gets my support. I assume he is here and happy until the facts prove different.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Why bother assuming otherwise? He is our player and one who we all have great affection for. Let the media speculate all they want. I am not going to worry about it. If he ever leaves he will go with my thanks, as long as he is here he gets my support. I assume he is here and happy until the facts prove different.

I’m just surprised everyone has gone from “he will be off even if we stay up” and messages on the lines of “thank you for your service and all the best” to speculating whether he will be on the left or in the centre. I’d obviously be thrilled if he stayed but I just don’t get what’s changed in people’s minds to be convinced that he will be part of a front three or whatever, that’s all. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I’m just surprised everyone has gone from “he will be off even if we stay up” and messages on the lines of “thank you for your service and all the best” to speculating whether he will be on the left or in the centre. I’d obviously be thrilled if he stayed but I just don’t get what’s changed in people’s minds to be convinced that he will be part of a front three or whatever, that’s all. 

Fair dos! Yeah there has been a sea change! Maybe its just the relief of survival but things look pretty good! Its a welcome change though. Nice to be speculating about big signings for us for a change! Which seems to be the plan this summer.

Tammy and Rashica!

tenor.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Its all true I believe! :)

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

5 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Have you seen much of Rashica?

Again not really, but from what's written about him and from his videos.

You can't know if a player is good enough with videos, but you can understand how he plays.

Eze for example, you can see similarities with Jack, same with Brooks (somehow). But Benrahma for example is different.

Jack is originally a CM, which plays better at LW. While Rasicha is LW which plays as an ST.

43 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Again not really, but from what's written about him and from his videos.

You can't know if a player is good enough with videos, but you can understand how he plays.

Eze for example, you can see similarities with Jack, same with Brooks (somehow). But Benrahma for example is different.

Jack is originally a CM, which plays better at LW. While Rasicha is LW which plays as an ST.

He can also play as a second striker Rashica can, having him being able to play across three positions gives us a bunch of strategic options going forward. If Grealish and Rashica switch that's a great bit of tactical options, being able to move Grealish on the left and throw Rashica behind our striker fantastic. Could even put Rashica up front and Grealish as an attacking midfielder behind him, there are a fair few possibilities.

Rashica on left, Grealish centre, Watkins striker and a right winger who I were hoping wed nail Takefuso kubo for a signing but madrid dont want to sell it seems.

Who do we get for a right winger the big question?? What about Leon bailey from Bayern Leverkusen, 23 years of age and fits in as a right winger but can play left winger and left midfield also. Reported at around 32 mill worth I think.

Rashica, Bailey, Watkins job done.

4 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Have we considered whether Rashica may actually be a replacement for Grealish if he goes?

This seems a distinct possibility to me if Rashica predominately plays on the left wing/CAM. It would be good planning by Villa tho to be prepared. Hopefully Jack will stay but we would not want to find ourselves armed with £60-80m with one week of the window left desperately hunting around for a replacement after everyone else has done their transfer business.

14 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Move him? Jack is a CM.

Firstly I referred to Jack based on his performances the season that was, which was pretty clear. And during that season it was as a LW he impressed the most. 

Secondly, he didn't play a whole lot of CM this season. He started out there, didn't do too well. Was moved up the pitch into a drifting LW role and did better. Looking at last season he played 22 of 36 matches at the left wing, and 5 of them as a CAM/SS whatever it's called. 

Calling him a CM based on that is just plain stupid. Thus moving him would be crazy. 

5 hours ago, pete101 said:

I'd love to think our owners are in the mindset of with the covid discount on players ( I know that sounds awful ) we might be better to invest a bit more this summer than next when prices will probably inflate back up , but who really knows

HMRC’s latest financial scheme. COVID discount vouchers for football club directors. Buy one Rashica and get another free. Naturally, it’ll need a marketing slogan: ‘Rishi’s rovers’ perhaps?

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Firstly I referred to Jack based on his performances the season that was, which was pretty clear. And during that season it was as a LW he impressed the most. 

Secondly, he didn't play a whole lot of CM this season. He started out there, didn't do too well. Was moved up the pitch into a drifting LW role and did better. Looking at last season he played 22 of 36 matches at the left wing, and 5 of them as a CAM/SS whatever it's called. 

Calling him a CM based on that is just plain stupid. Thus moving him would be crazy. 

Yet it's where he wants to play. It's also difficult to be so sure about the conclusions you're making—I mean there are other factors too, not least the lack of quality we had up front. If we had a good quality front three then Jack as a midfielder would be a completely different prospect to Jack as a midfielder this season with the team we had. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I think Konsa is better than both of them tbh. Also think Targett and Guilbert are just fine for us. Wouldn't mind Henry to push for a starting place though.

I think both fullbacks are extremely suspect defensively, and Targett is as slow as molasses. Backs up at best imo. 

Konsa was good in the last three games, otherwise he looked like an inexperienced and lightweight young Centre back. I think he bulked up a bit I  the lockdown, which certainly helped. Not convinced by Engels so another RCB is necessary.

8 hours ago, Indigo said:

I like Konsa but I don't really agree with the motion that he should be guaranteed a starting place and is better than many prospective signings mentioned based off the last 4 or so games of the season. Honestly he was probably Antonio finishing that chance on the last game away from being public enemy number one for sending us down.

Obviously the bulk of our spend needs to be in forward areas and rightly so, but I'd love if we could also get a couple of bodies in defensive positions because over the course of the season we were just as bad defensively as the other end of the pitch.

Whilst I agree that getting some experienced heads in defensive positions is the sensible thing to do, I'd be tempted to get as much firepower as possible so we can risk starting Ezri. I think he has the potential to become a very good player so I'd sacrifice a place or two in the table for him to get as much game time as possible.

8 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

With all the various forms of bidding that now make up the modern recruitment process, does anyone know if we have experts in particular types of bidding. I’d assume the new guys will be well versed in preparing, considering, weighing up etc, but do we have people with the technical know how to launch, table, slap in etc. Add to that the various forms of bid to be delivered, for example the huge bid, the outrageous bid, the good old fashioned shock bid and everyone’s favourite the cheeky bid and it must be asked, do we have the personnel in place to cover all of this? The last thing we need is to be caught out like last summer and need to get in too many launchers,  tablers, swoopers in etc to cover all positions. Personally I think we should just go for a top quality slapper, but perhaps that’s just me?

My understanding is that he works tirelessly throughout each and every window for us!

burgess meredith id buy that for a dollar GIF

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, LxYoungAVFC said:

Whilst I agree that getting some experienced heads in defensive positions is the sensible thing to do, I'd be tempted to get as much firepower as possible so we can risk starting Ezri. I think he has the potential to become a very good player so I'd sacrifice a place or two in the table for him to get as much game time as possible.

Sacrificing a place or two in the table to help develop a young CB is all very well but I’m not sure if it would have worked too well last season. Hopefully Konsa has already made sufficient advances to deserve a place. The PL won’t wait for him or anyone else.