Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

3 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

So if we could pick up two of the following:

Abraham, Edouard, Grant, Watkins, Iheanacho, Wilson, King.

Keep Wesley/Davis.  Then, sell/loan Hogan/Samatta.

I think we’ll have significantly improved our strikers for next season. 

we only need 3 senior strikers two middling strikers to add to the one we already have doesn't seem prudent. Personally I would only sign one of the aforementioned, loan Davis and keep sammata till the winter then promote one of the 3 or 4 promising strikers from the under 23's. As we have Barry and Archer plus this Shapoke lad incoming.

I can't be the only that wants a LW so we can put Jack back in the middle. Last season he had to play there because without him being an attacker he had to link up with Trez, El Ghazi and Samatta. 

If we've got genuine threats in the LW/ST/RW that he can link up with he will flourish again in my opinion. 

Would like to see more of a 4-2-3-1 formation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Apparently we are in for Max Aarons. From Norwich.

Sky Germany were reporting last week that Bayern are interested as well. Not sure if true as they are still a part of the Sky family but if he has a choice between Villa and Bayern then I'd imagine he'll be off to join me in Munich.

He would be a great addition though if we could pull it off. I really like the way he plays.

• Like 1

Just now, TRO said:

I have a real worry that we will get sufficient quality in.

just keeping my fingers firmly crossed.

For the first time in a long time, I'm not worried about this...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So why cant we spend 50m on a striker? we have the funds....according to reports it's £100m.  We are likely to sell one or two players, so lets say Trez and Nakamba, the current names being touted in Turkey out and let's say some more go....all bits and bobs totalling around 15-20m maybe.  Buy a striker for 50m, and then 3 x 20m players....adds up to the four players it seems we are after.

Just not convinced in spending money on the players you mentioned when as you say they will at best be "just stiff competition for Wes"

So we spend 50m on a striker sell the one half decent winger we have when we need 2 wingers.  Sell the only back up defensive mid we have, who will need to be replaced as a result. Plus we still have two dodgy first choice fullbacks. And all this for only 100m. This simply isn't realistic. Then there is the other problem of attracting this top class striker to the 17th placed prem team!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I agree. But the problem is even 40 doesn't get you a top striker these days (Joelinton and Haller for example). We need 50m plus. Otherwise it's the safer know what you signings i mentioned or the higher risk punt on a Watkins or Edouard!

I’m a little surprised that Iheanacho doesn’t seem to float too many people’s boat. The season he’s just had looked to me to be something like a breakthrough season, and I was really surprised when stories started surfacing that he might be available. He’s been around for quite a while and is still only 23. For where we currently are as a team I think he’d do really well if we could add some new, pacy players to the left and right of him. And we don’t seem to be talking about figures anywhere near £40-50m. Even if he didn’t turn out a roaring success in the next 2-3yrs he’d still only be 25-26yrs old with good sell-on potential. I’d be delighted if we were able to add him to our squad. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

We have too many understudies......we want players to challenge the first teamers.......remember where we finshed, we won  9 games and conceded 67 goals.

don't let the relief of staying up cloud the issues.......We have to up our game.

Completely agree, we need to buy 4 or 5 quality first team players, then some of the current players become squad players and we improve the team.

What we don't need in this window is more potential type players or squad players, we need to improve the first 11 and by doing that add depth from the current squad.

I'm really concerned this window, if we don't buy some quality we will be in trouble again.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Problem here though is his weekly salary.  He’s probably picking up well over 100k a week, which we shouldn’t be doing right now.

Yeah that would be a problem. I'm assuming he was on about 40-50k at West Brom. Not sure what the wage split was for his year at Newcastle but they got a good deal for him.

Man. United got Ighalo back from China so they got a deal to suit them.

22 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

We absolutely shouldn't be signing squad players this window.

We need to sign players better than what we have and current first choice players become squad players in place of current squad players, that is how we need to improve.

We have to have squad players that are better than we have. I'm not saying that we should spend our budget on squad players ,of course we must buy quality.

Quality probably means we will get 4 players max for the £100m that has been bandied about. That is fine but it will not address the subs bench situation

A) Because of the 5 subs rule and B. Because some of our current back up players will leave. We have to be sensible about this, it's not all about the 11 starters

Edited by pintpotvilla

2 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

So we spend 50m on a striker sell the one half decent winger we have when we need 2 wingers.  Sell the only back up defensive mid we have, who will need to be replaced as a result. Plus we still have two dodgy first choice fullbacks. And all this for only 100m. This simply isn't realistic. Then there is the other problem of attracting this top class striker to the 17th placed prem team!

it sure is tricky.

5 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

We simply aren't going to improve every position in one window. With the way we've generally signed since 2010 just improving two positions in this window would be a huge success for us. Full backs aren't amazing but I'd wait until January or next summer before proper restructure of that. Just sign an up and coming LB to challenge Targett e.g. that Hickey guy.

It's important to get the spine right so for me another CB and DM are essential and then you obviously look out wide and for another striker.

I don't see why every signing has to be a 5 year project either. You could easily find a 31 year old CB who could give us excellent service for two years as Konsa continues to progress. At end of 21-22 season he's helped us finished 7th or 8th so that would be a very good signing in my book, same for defensive midfield. These are positions where generally steady old heads are needed.

We tried the project angle with Nakamba and now we're seemingly trying to loan him out to raise his value again as no-one is paying anything close to 12m.

Edited by VillaChris

2 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

TAA, Walker, Trippier, Wan Bissaka, and Reece James are currently ahead of him in the pecking order so he might be waiting a while yet!

Walker is 30, Trippier is about to turn 30...  They'll be out of the picture in a few years.

TAA & Wan Bissaka have the position on lock at the moment, but an injury to one of them opens up a spot for someone else to get a call up.

James is the same age as Aarons and is BEHIND him in the U21 squad...  No idea how you'd put him ahead in the England pecking order...

2 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

So buy 50m striker, 2 x 20m attacking wingers, 1 x 20m DM.

I don’t quite agree re fullbacks and even if they are it’s one of the lower priorities and we can’t do everything in a close season 

Perfectly realistic!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

I can't be the only that wants a LW so we can put Jack back in the middle. Last season he had to play there because without him being an attacker he had to link up with Trez, El Ghazi and Samatta. 

If we've got genuine threats in the LW/ST/RW that he can link up with he will flourish again in my opinion. 

Would like to see more of a 4-2-3-1 formation. 

I totally agree, but do see the arguement also for him to play further upfield out on the left. 
It's a tricky one but ultimately, the only reason he was playing on the left was because our wingers were so shit, we needed him to. With better wingers, I can see Grealish kicking on again next season centrally. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Completely agree, we need to buy 4 or 5 quality first team players, then some of the current players become squad players and we improve the team.

What we don't need in this window is more potential type players or squad players, we need to improve the first 11 and by doing that add depth from the current squad.

I'm really concerned this window, if we don't buy some quality we will be in trouble again.

My sentiments entirely.

as an example.....John McGinn is not guaranteed in centre midfield for me.......He has to recover his form and we need players who can challenge him.....if not he becomes the understudy.

we can't keep pussyfooting, we have to be ruthless to move on up.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Easier said than done, but to land that first statement transfer would be game changing for us. It would act as a signal to other potential signings that we were seriously looking to progress. Now more than ever we have to hope that our owners are looking to flex their financial muscle and try to get a foot in front of the likes of Everton and Wolves etc. The reality is that we will have to overpay once or twice to gain a foothold, that’s what Chelsea and Man City had to do to make the breakthrough. 

• Like 2