I would look at the following options either on loan or permanent signings:

GK:  Ramsdale

RB: Bogle or Aarons

RCB: Smalling, Stones, Godfrey, Axel

LCB: Kelly

LB: Henry, Robinson

Def Mid: Ampadu (Loan) Doucoure or Billing

Mid: Swift, Turnbull, Massengo

Wide Forward: Benrahma, Buendia, Eze, Hudson-Odoi or R. Sessegnon (Loan)

C Forward: Abraham, Edouard, Grant, Watkins, Iheanacho, Wilson, King

I think any of the above would improve us in the positions mentioned.  Exciting times ahead.

15 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Not sure why everyone is going nuts over Watkins.

Not saying he is or isn't what we need, but he has had one good season as a striker in the championship and we are fawning over him.

The last championship striker who had one good season didn't end up doing too well here...

As I say, not saying he is or isn't any good, but at the same time other than one good season scoring 20+ goals in the champ, what makes us think he's a 10/15/20 goal man in the prem???

Last night I can say honestly is first time I've watched him play, he was very in and out of game due to how well Fulham had set up but late in game there was a point where a ball was played up and he was on his own surrounded by 4 Fulham players and held the ball up and won a free in a dangerous area. At that point I thought sign him up

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Too many bad injuries have ruined him. 

He had his best season and broke into the England squad 2018/19 after his bad injuries. So not ruined, but he is approaching the time in a players  career where injuries become more frequent! A risk but at under 20m surely a better option than Edouard at 30 - 40m

What has not been mentioned I don’t think about Edouard is that he acne through the PSG youth system and left for 1st team football... I cannot comment on him as I’ve not seen much but would love a double deal for him and AJer with Lansbury and Hogan/samatta included. One can dream 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

He had his best season and broke into the England squad 2018/19 after his bad injuries. So not ruined, but he is approaching the time in a players  career where injuries become more frequent! A risk but at under 20m surely a better option than Edouard at 30 - 40m

I’d rather give Wes a try to be honest. Apart from one good season in 18/19, Wilson has been average.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thabucks said:

What has not been mentioned I don’t think about Edouard is that he acne through the PSG youth system and left for 1st team football... I cannot comment on him as I’ve not seen much but would love a double deal for him and AJer with Lansbury and Hogan/samatta included. One can dream 

Currently the best academy in the world.

49 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i like watkins too. he held the ball up once or twice, showing a lot of strength for someone that looks quite slight. wesley and samatta have never done that for us

I think Wesley is much better than Watkins and he is much younger. Watkins is another Hogan waiting to happen in my view. To be avoided

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

I call it the Scott Sinclair test. 

He was a bad player, sitting on the bench in our worst team ever. Went to Celtic and looked a world beater for a couple of seasons. 

40 million for any player from the Scottish league is a huge huge huge risk. That said 25-30 million for a Watkins whose only played in the championship is as well! 

Didn't Van Dyjk go from Celtic to Liverpool? 

1 minute ago, M_Afro said:

I think Wesley is much better than Watkins and he is much younger. Watkins is another Hogan waiting to happen in my view. To be avoided

11 months younger.

My shopping list!!!

Striker:  One of Wilson / Iheanacho / Origi 30m or less

LAM: One of Eze / Benrahma / Rashcia 25m or less

RAM: One of Sarr / Buendia 30m or less

RB: Aarons 20m or less

LB: Henry 15m or less

OUT: El-Ghazi, Jota, Taylor, Sammata, Davis on loan. In 15 to 20m

Would also like Doucore, and Godfrey or Tuanzube but that would be another 40 to 50m

Dream big money signing, but not out of the realms of possibility - Zaha.

10 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Lazy comparison because Hogan was also at Brentford?  Watkins seems to be getting better every season.

I'd be happy if we got our hands on Edouard, Benrahma and watkins, much much better than what he have now in starting eleven.

Cant be tough on a guy either for not having an a good game at a final when hes been ace for a season for his club, sometimes you do have bad games.

If we cant go higher and those are our options this season then get them in now, I do not have one bit of confidence in Samatta, Ghazi for a start and Trezegeut while he works his ass off may go silent again, so yeah those three would be a welcomed sight.

I've seen quite a bit of Brentford this season and Watkins is much better than Hogan and a completely different type player really, has easilly been the best striker in the championship, better than Mitrovic.

The problem with signing him for the £20m plus that it would take, is that if we spend that much on him we aren't then going to spend another £30m or so on someone like Edouard, Abraham, Iheanacho and so on, if he signs he will be our main striker signing, so it becomes a question as to whether we'd be better of paying around £20m for him hoping he can make the step up, or paying more for someone more proven at an higher level.

10 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Name a consistent winger that scores for fun that we will be able to attract?

Every creative player has off games, even Messi and Ronaldo have their bad days. This was the biggest game of his career to date. There are very few players with his stats from this season, in any league. He was rated the best player in his league by whoscored this season.  He scored 17 goals as a winger! You don't get that by being easily nullified.

By your definition, Grealish is easily nullified.  And has been many times this season. The point is having two such players capable of something special in the team, means at least two things:

1) they're harder to nullify as you have to cover both of them 

2) when one does have an off day, the chances are the other one won't be.

The fact Grealish has had Trez and El Ghazi as his non threatening counterparts this season has made us so easy to defend against.  Having Benrahma would be very different.

• Not saying wingers are consistent, but there are levels/degrees of consistency, like Mahrez......a £400,00 buy for Leicester from Le Havre originally.
  • Yes they do have off days, but minimal and when they do they are still ok
  • Defenders in the championship are not the same as defenders in the Prem.....you need to be mindful of that important fact.....in the Prem they deny you the air to breathe, in the championship they offer you an oxygen tank......we need players who can deal/counter with that.
  • Grealish was easily nullified before his kidney injury.....He worked hard for months building on his strength and now he is able to resist challenges much better......last night Benrama was being out muscled on too many occasions, wait until he comes across the Premier league defenders......look he may adapt, but he nedds a strength building programme like jack.
  • Your points 1& 2 have merit.....but you can't fill a team with showmen and Benrama is a showman.....I am just sceptical.....he could be good.....just very unsure for me.
  • your last line I agree with.....but the Benrama bit,not sure.

I was also unsure about the noises coming out of Brentford about performances being king, which touches on their  focus on data, which we seem to be following......I think data analysis is good, but not the holy grail.......They scored the most goals in the league last season and finished with the second best goals against......so why didn't they win the League?

Teams that know how to win and set up in a way to win games, as opposed to showy football are the ones, I favour......Fulham last night looked more robust and resillient and negated the threat efficiently, Tom Cairney, was the one that stood out for me, always available, never dillied with his passes, made time and space for himself and dictated the tempo....but thats just my opinion.

Edited by TRO