Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

12 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

I was just giving examples of players based abroad who score goals and would cause a meltdown if we signed them. I believe all of those would cause meltdown level excitement on here. All signings have an element of risk. Even Messi could break his leg in his first game.

Yes. Fair enough but I'm not interested in fan meltdowns. I just want players who can fit straight into the first 11 and do a job. So not signings like wesley and luis and nakamba

1 minute ago, skell said:

Yes. Fair enough but I'm not interested in fan meltdowns. I just want players who can fit straight into the first 11 and do a job. So not signings like wesley and luis and nakamba

All of those players I listed would easily go straight into our first 11, without any worries.

Find it weird that the reaction to Origi is more positive than the one to Iheanacho. 

KI got 5 goals and 3 assists in the league, in 968 minutes of football this season. He's hungry, probably wants to leave for first team football and is only 23.

Origi, to me, seems happy to play the role of super sub at one of the 2 best teams in the country. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

If I can have my 2 pennies worth. I think the CM position isn't one of our weakest. So spending a large chunk of money on improving it isn't needed. Not when you look at the huge holes across the rest of the squad.

Can we add some decent options in there for a relatively small fee so we don't have to use Lansbury. Have a reliable option in the middle in case of injury for a small fee. Makes so much sense it hurts.

Leaving more money to spend on where it's needed more.

I think it is by a distance, it was what was making us shit in attack and defence, it was all coming from not being able to keep the ball which is largely due to God awful movement off the ball 

Luiz obviously came back a different player which makes a huge difference but if we play a midfield 3 then we could do with maybe another 2 midfielders, mcarthur at £5m and then a younger option

Hourihane and Nakamba are just about squad options, the others can and probably will all go, so unless we're changing it up and putting Jack in there again we really need a new midfielder 

• Like 1

I've not really taken much notice of McCarthy before but if he can do the kind of job in the Prem that Whelan did for us in the promotion season I wouldn't mind him coming in, especially at that price. It doesn't surprise me that Dean is interested if he was tempted into going for Drinkwater in January. 

Edited by sharkyvilla

It's probably been brought up here before (maybe even by me, there's a lot of posts!), but while I'd agree with many that we have the most quality in central midfield at the moment, I do think we need a taller, more physically present CM or DM. Doug is so slick and has upped his work rate and SJM obviously has his drive and tenacity, but our midfield is, well, just really short and SJM's butt can only do so much!

We could've cut out a lot of pressure on our defense season past had we had somebody to be a bit of a bully and challenge effectively for incoming goal kicks and long balls, instead of requiring our central defenders to step forward for them or just leaving them and trying to pressure after it's on the deck. Someone who could knock it down to Doug rather than him or Nakamba or even Jack having to bust a gut to win it back cleanly on the edge of our box then attempt to distribute it. The number of 1st/2nd balls we couldn't even compete for between the box and the center circle drove me nuts all season.

Edited by the_eristic
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

However the article from Evans suggests PL experience is a must, and last season was when we needed this perhaps more.

Does Abraham count as PL experience? Does just one season in the PL count, I guess it probably does a few decent players have been relegated. 

Two seasons! With Swansea too.

James McCarthy is a solid pro. £5m is the new £1m. I’d rather him about the place then Henri and would rather him helping Luiz and Nakamba learn the league than Danny Drinkwater. No need for the meltdown. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, deeps said:

James McCarthy is a solid pro. £5m is the new £1m. I’d rather him about the place then Henri and would rather him helping Luiz and Nakamba learn the league than Danny Drinkwater. No need for the meltdown. 

One of our most value-for-money signings in recents times (behind SJM) IS Elmo without doubt. I'm sure there wouldve been the same meltdown about his signing. It's an absolute no brainer for me. 

2/3 of this type of signing then add some glitter/fancy names that get mentioned in here and I haven't heard of and we will be in a much better place.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, omariqy said:

If he didn’t get that injury then I have no doubt that he would have been a good PL player

100% Okore would have made it if not for the injuries. If we can unearth players of his potential without them being crippled I would be delighted

2 minutes ago, deeps said:

Indeed. Unspectacular and all, but could do a job for us. He's quite injuryprone though if I'm not mistaken. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Find it weird that the reaction to Origi is more positive than the one to Iheanacho. 

KI got 5 goals and 3 assists in the league, in 968 minutes of football this season. He's hungry, probably wants to leave for first team football and is only 23.

Origi, to me, seems happy to play the role of super sub at one of the 2 best teams in the country. 

So was Solskjaer but he could have done a job for us at his peak. Honestly while I’m not going to be devastated if (as I expect) both are just papertalk, I think Iheanacho or Origi would both be decent signings, and people dismissing them as terrible ideas are likely going to be disappointed with our summer business.

I’m surprised people turning nose up at Mccarthey. He’s not going to set the world alight, but he’s an experienced hard working midfielder. @sne said in Mings thread highest average number of tackles Per game. We need some experience like that 

1 minute ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’m surprised people turning nose up at Mccarthey. He’s not going to set the world alight, but he’s an experienced hard working midfielder. @sne said in Mings thread highest average number of tackles Per game. We need some experience like that 

Missed a lot of football due to that leg break but featured in a lot of games last season for Palace even thou he only started about half of those.

Could likely be a good squad option and do a job for the right money. He seem to have had a lot of problems with his hamstrings over the years thou.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PL experience is good and all for "safety" and solidity.

I just really hope this doesn't translate to "boring". Where we end up going for the usual "solid pro" journeymen who pop up at every mid - lower Premier League club.

I hope fear of the "drop" isn't going to alter our long term philosophy, style of play etc.

I also hope it is not going to see us not go for obvious exciting talent from lower leagues and overseas.

That philosophy is one I fear could just lead to a slow, sustained and painful death. Plus an overextended wage bill. (Average PL players are on big money)

See Bournemouth etc.

Yeah you'll hang about for a while, and overachieve a season or two but if your scope isn't wider you're only heading one direction, just alot slower.

Meanwhile other clubs with long term approaches snap up top young talent both here and overseas. 

I hope if anything we will be looking at the most exciting players in the League, outside of the top 4 - 6 of course.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

PL experience is good and all for "safety" and solidity.

I just really hope this doesn't translate to "boring". Where we end up going for the usual "solid pro" journeymen who pop up at every mid - lower Premier League club.

I hope fear of the "drop" isn't going to alter our long term philosophy, style of play etc.

I also hope it is not going to see us not go for obvious exciting talent from lower leagues and overseas.

That philosophy is one I fear could just leaf to a slow, sustained and painful death.

See Bournemouth etc.

Yeah you'll hang about for a while, and overachieve a season or two but if your scope isn't wider you're only heading one direction, just alot slower.

Meanwhile other clubs with long term approaches snap up top young talent both here and overseas. 

I think you have to get the blend right. A couple of experienced “boring” players, added with some exciting high potential. 

• Like 4