Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Well if you’re prepared to stump up the dosh, I say go for it. 

No problem, I’m getting my six instalments paid back from the Villa next week that’ll cover it 😂

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Moussa Dembele anyone? Was being linked to Chelsea before they signed Werner and in my opinion would be far better striker for us than Abraham. He is kind of the ideal we want wesley to develop into. He is fast strong and only 24. With the French season being suspended I could totally see him being available for under 40 million and in my mind that would be a coup. If we were going to spend 50 million on a striker it shouldn't be Tammy and should be someone like Dembele. If his price is reduced I would love to get him and karlan grant (who I think could score 10-15 in his first season with us if he started every game) 

Is Dembele attainable for us? He’s a great player and it would be a real statement signing. He would be brilliant 

28 minutes ago, nick76 said:

If we want to move to mid table we are going to have to get better quality and that means more money on wages.  Wilson is on 110k per week at Bmouth.  If we still at top of sixty grand then we will be fighting relegation every week.  I’d rather pay an extra 40k a week for Tammy than Wilson for example.

Yes. But it's not monopoly. I'm also sure that with FFP we cant just go out and spend money. I read it takes 4 or 5 years of being in the premier before you can do that.you can.  Honestly, I would be surprised if we sign anyone  at plus 70,000 a week. I expect  3 or 4 signings around that mark.

1 minute ago, skell said:

Yes. But it's not monopoly. I'm also sure that with FFP we cant just go out and spend money. I read it takes 4 or 5 years of being in the premier before you can do that.you can.  Honestly, I would be surprised if we sign anyone  at plus 70,000 a week. I expect  3 or 4 signings around that mark.

We have one of the lowest wage bills in the premier league, we have spare space

Just now, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

I think this is an extremely narrow-minded way of recruiting players. Just because we've recruited poorly from overseas doesn't mean we should limit ourselves to buying locally. Wesley, Trezeguet, Nakamba, etc are poor footballers; it's nothing to do with adapting to the league. Drinkwater, McCormack, Baston, etc had experience of the leagues they were bought to play in. It doesn't mean they should be signed. 

We are unlikely to be in the market for the best overseas talent. So if we did go down that route we would be buying players who might need 6 months to settle. Not a good strategy.   We need premier league ready players!

13 minutes ago, nick76 said:

and a million and more that were failures.  We don’t have the luxury of getting it wrong, why take the risk for a few extra bucks, it makes no sense.

Buying locally doesn't guarantee we'll get it right though, does it? Countless players with Premier League experience fail too - Lescott, Richards, Richardson, Sinclair, Drinkwater, etc. The number one criteria should be to buy the best players available, regardless of where they're from

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

I think this is an extremely narrow-minded way of recruiting players. Just because we've recruited poorly from overseas doesn't mean we should limit ourselves to buying locally. Wesley, Trezeguet, Nakamba, etc are poor footballers; it's nothing to do with adapting to the league. Drinkwater, McCormack, Baston, etc had experience of the leagues they were bought to play in. It doesn't mean they should be signed. 

I’m not saying that, just saying that Tammy is low risk for a slightly higher price.  The players you mention aren’t superior enough to take the higher risk.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

We have one of the lowest wage bills in the premier league, we have spare space

As a club who has just come up that's obvious. But to suddenly sign a 100k player. No chance

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

Surely the first order of business is to sort the Grealish issue. That will dictate a lot of our moves in the transfer market.

I think in getting some quality players in the door first to set the tone of the direction we aim to go in this season will be enough to sort the Grealish issue.

What happens beyond that is anyone's guess if they're willing to pay the fee for Jack in the first place.

Any interested parties know the price tag and we don't need to sell.

• Like 1

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

I think in getting some quality players in the door first to set the tone of the direction we aim to go in this season will be enough to sort the Grealish issue.

What happens beyond that is anyone's guess if they're willing to pay the fee for Jack in the first place.

Any interested parties know the price tag and we don't need to sell.

Exactly my feeling. If we do, and we then have a terrific season; 7/8th, I think it likely Jack would stay and perhaps even sign a new contract with a buy-out clause. That's the price. Pay it or leave us alone.

• Like 1

Just now, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Buying locally doesn't guarantee we'll get it right though, does it? Countless players with Premier League experience fail too - Lescott, Richards, Richardson, Sinclair, Drinkwater, etc. The number one criteria should be to buy the best players available, regardless of where they're from

No it’s balancing risk as well.  It’s not fantasy football.  We want the best player we can get, yes....we want to reduce our risks as well.  Tammy has worked with us before, knows the players, fits in with the management style and scored 15 last season in the league we are playing in.  We’ve almost test drived before we have Brought.  All the players you have mentioned haven’t played in the PL, with our team, a lot in the top leagues and how well they’d settle in or how long.  Tammy is quality, fits in and low risk.

4 minutes ago, skell said:

As a club who has just come up that's obvious. But to suddenly sign a 100k player. No chance

Why? We have the money and within the rules....so why not?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, skell said:

Yes. But it's not monopoly. I'm also sure that with FFP we cant just go out and spend money.

For this season FFP has been relaxed.

We will be passing Go! ..Whilst spending £200m.     :D

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

No it’s balancing risk as well.  It’s not fantasy football.  We want the best player we can get, yes....we want to reduce our risks as well.  Tammy has worked with us before, knows the players, fits in with the management style and scored 15 last season in the league we are playing in.  We’ve almost test drived before we have Brought.  All the players you have mentioned haven’t played in the PL, with our team, a lot in the top leagues and how well they’d settle in or how long.  Tammy is quality, fits in and low risk.

I'd like for us to have Tammy, but he's not the first cousin of a £50m footballer. I'm glad you weren't in charge when we signed "major risks" like Yorke, Laursen, Mellberg, Bouma, Benteke, Carew, Petrov, Douglas Luiz, etc 😉

20 minutes ago, hippo said:

Surely the first order of business is to sort the Grealish issue. That will dictate a lot of our moves in the transfer market.

He has 3 years left on his deal - unless we receive an incredible bid there is nothing to sort - I think he will give it another year 

7 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

I'd like for us to have Tammy, but he's not the first cousin of a £50m footballer. I'm glad you weren't in charge when we signed "major risks" like Yorke, Laursen, Mellberg, Bouma, Benteke, Carew, Petrov, Douglas Luiz, etc 😉

Again you are taking me out of context, I’m saying we have a player...Tammy, who ticks the boxes we want. Why for a bit less money do we risk that with a player (any from your list) that is quality but has many risks having never played in this country.

I’m not saying not to buy foreign players, I’m saying on this one take the easy and low risk option that will cost a little bit more money.

Do what you like for the rest of the positions.

edit: plus there are many foreign players that are failures that have been at Villa.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Would people be happy if we could get Callum Wilson and Karlan Grant in? They would cost approx £10m each but would offer us so much more than Samatta and Davis.

Wilson’s wages could be an issue I suppose and Spurs appear interested, which could make a deal difficult. Grant must be very gettable though.

We can definitely do better but they would be a modest upgrade on what we have.

I guess it depends on what our budget is...

4 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Christ are we really turning our noses up at John Stones for 20 million?

Is he better than what we have now? Yes

Does he have potential to improve? Yes

Remember Man City bought him for £47.5 million in 2016, whilst we were fielding a centre back partnership of Elphick & Baker.

Stones would be a massive sign of intent at Aston Villa football club.

Combine it with shifting Engels for 5-10 million and its a bargain.

Agreed. Stones gets grief from fans for plenty of good reasons, but those same people ignore a lot of what he does well. For instance, he's worlds better than Mings at starting play from the back. Granted, it helps who he has passing to him, but he's still far more accurate than Mings has shown thus far. I think the two of them paired together as an RCB and LCB could be very effective. Also, he's younger than Mings!