Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

19 hours ago, thabucks said:

I guess it may be down to Dean’s way of seeing the game and his own philosophy that he prefers, a different type of DM to what some of us feel we are desperate for. Who knows for sure but as I’ve said for me the balance of the midfield of Mcginn. Luiz, Nakamba is wrong and needs addressing. 

I would also say it’s the same for our wingers - We have little in the way of variations in terms of replacements and the way we can play. It’s all too like for like for me at present. But we are at the start of our ongoing rebuild journey and a WIP for sure and I’m not criticising the job done to date as we had to rebuild pretty much a whole squad and these things take time. 

For sure.

I guess he will be judged on that and the consequences of it....I hope he proves me wrong.

I wonder if we should put in a cheeky bid for Dwight McNeil who is rated in a similar price bracket to Benrhama and Rashica. ? Who would others like to see signed?

Toon or Spuds most likely destination but he is an exciting young player and would hopefully be an upgrade on Trez & AEG who are far too inconsistent. 

14 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I wonder if we should put in a cheeky bid for Dwight McNeil who is rated in a similar price bracket to Benrhama and Rashica. ? Who would others like to see signed?

Toon or Spuds most likely destination but he is an exciting young player and would hopefully be an upgrade on Trez & AEG who are far too inconsistent. 

I think he’s an excellent player, he was very good at Villa Park earlier this season. In the future, I think Manchester United will regret releasing him as a kid

44 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Love to see him here = Demarai Gray would be an option, he's only got a year left on his Leicester contract so could be available for less money. We need to invest on the wings.

I think if we stay up, there has to be a certain amount of ambition in our signings - I think if Grealish goes, that covers the losses - so we should be in a position to invest heavily again - the TV money and an amount from our owners gives us the opportunity to spend at similar levels to last summer, but the players we bought then mean we can look a little more at quality over numbers.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think if we stay up, there has to be a certain amount of ambition in our signings - I think if Grealish goes, that covers the losses - so we should be in a position to invest heavily again - the TV money and an amount from our owners gives us the opportunity to spend at similar levels to last summer, but the players we bought then mean we can look a little more at quality over numbers.

I completely agree and I think that a lot of what is being said re; transfers this summer being limited is just a PR exercise. Prices may be effected Somewhat and for the better but I was reading somewhere online earlier that only x5 clubs will be in any form of position to spend. 

Now it’s about adding quality in targeting players that are at the next level. We had quality last summer out of necessity. This summer requires adding quality. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I completely agree and I think that a lot of what is being said re; transfers this summer being limited is just a PR exercise. Prices may be effected Somewhat and for the better but I was reading somewhere online earlier that only x5 clubs will be in any form of position to spend. 

Now it’s about adding quality in targeting players that are at the next level. We had quality last summer out of necessity. This summer requires adding quality. 

What if we get relegated?

54 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

What if we get relegated?

Then we will be forced to undertake the same process of trying to add quality over quantity but from a lower base and lower expectations in terms of potential targets. We will have two scenarios in terms of lists and will cut out cloth and move forward according to which division we are in - just as we did last summer.

I don’t want to go back to watching us on Quest TV so 🤞🏻

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 2

Oddly, if we get relegated we'll have some interesting decisions to make on what we do next - Grealish will cover the current losses, Mings and McGinn will cover the relegation losses and then we might find ourselves in the Championship, needing five or six players with £100m to spend on them.

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Love to see him here = Demarai Gray would be an option, he's only got a year left on his Leicester contract so could be available for less money.

We really have missed out on some fantastic local talent this past 10 years or so. Gray, Redmond, Bellingham, Butland from the SHA and Ferguson, Berahino, Tulloch and not forgetting Louie Barry initially to name but a few from WBA. The negligence is scary tbh... 

18 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Oddly, if we get relegated we'll have some interesting decisions to make on what we do next - Grealish will cover the current losses, Mings and McGinn will cover the relegation losses and then we might find ourselves in the Championship, needing five or six players with £100m to spend on them.

Well losing those three if it did become the case would hopefully along with any money the Club makes and Owners put towards, give us enough money to sign six to eight of the best championship players if we were back down.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that but i would expect us to go for the championships hottest prospects and pay 15 mill+ a pop if were to bounce back up and show a real intent.

Hopefully then Smith will of learnt a bit more and have an arsenal capable of staying put in the premier. 

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, thabucks said:

Out of those 3 I would take Rashica (I would be happy with any of the 3) but I can’t see him wanting to mover to us. He is an absolute baller and would be a major upgrade on the wing

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm a tiny bit interested if Suso leaves. No interest in him buying more players agents tell him to buy who may or may not be good enough.

With the new rules on work permits for EU players it's even more important to get the right players in if we're buying from abroad because most of them are going to be paid pretty well to get them here.

3 hours ago, thabucks said:

Then we will be forced to undertake the same process of trying to add quality over quantity but from a lower base and lower expectations in terms of potential targets. We will have two scenarios in terms of lists and will cut out cloth and move forward according to which division we are in - just as we did last summer.

I don’t want to go back to watching us on Quest TV so 🤞🏻

In fairness we've shown before we can attract good players no problem in the championship....Tammy, Axel, Snodgrass etc. Even Whelan and Jedinak were decent premier league CMs when we got them.

In some ways being a big fish in championship is easier to get players than in premier league where we're seen as a long way from elite team nowadays.

For younger players not getting a look in at a top 6 club they'd probably rather have the glory of a day out at Wembley and promotion than a relegation scrap. I'm sure Tammy enjoyed his year here much more than he did at Swansea.

Oui just need to sign some good players better than the ones that we already have, do that and we will improve overall whether Grealish stays or not. It's not like to improve we have to sign a bunch of players as good as Grealish to make  any progress. Although obviously would be nice to keep Grealsh and improve the rest of side, we can still improve without him, as many teams have when losing their star player.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

Oui just need to sign some good players better than the ones that we already have, do that and we will improve overall whether Grealish stays or not. It's not like to improve we have to sign a bunch of players as good as Grealish to make  any progress. Although obviously would be nice to keep Grealsh and improve the rest of side, we can still improve without him, as many teams have when losing their star player.

Agreed mate. Obviously we all want to keep jack and if we do and strengthen other areas then we can be pushing for mid table.

I also think a few of our players will be better after having a year in the pl to settle such as Guilbert, engles, konsa and Nakamba all of which have had a few good games and a few bad.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, thabucks said:

If we could only sign three players this summer what positions and who would you go for if we retain our prem status ? 

I take it 'retain our prem status'='retain jack'

If so:  2 wingers and an experienced CM (genre Whelan/Jedinak, but on PL level).

AEG and trezeguet are the weakest links for me, too many opportunities wasted, not enough football brains. Also we need someone to keep a level head at times in games, which neither Nakamba or Luiz are doing. I didn't go for a CB as I do believe that our back line of Targett, Mings, Engels and Guilbert still has a lot of potiential and the decent cover from midfield would already help them out. (though they haven't really proven my point just yet)

33 minutes ago, thabucks said:

If we could only sign three players this summer what positions and who would you go for if we retain our prem status ? 

right sided centre back, midfielder with pace and stamina and a productive winger

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, thabucks said:

DM and 2 wingers. Billing, benrahma and Rashica.

Rashica is unlikely but if we stay up then we need at least 1 ambitious signing of real quality 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Villa Stu said:

DM and 2 wingers. Billing, benrahma and Rashica.

Rashica is unlikely but if we stay up then we need at least 1 ambitious signing of real quality 

Why would Billing leave Bournemouth to come to us?