Travel and Parking

blunther

On 21/02/2020 at 13:35, The_Rev said:

The Uxbridge branch of the Metropolitan Line is closed that weekend so there's no trains from Uxbridge or Hillingdon to Wembley.  

They've also built a massive new car park right by the stadium. I've not seen it used yet but it's looked finished for weeks so it might be getting its debut for the cup final. Pink Car Park if you want to Google it. It's got a massive picture of Freddy Mercury at Live Aid on one side too so it's pretty cool.  

That was my plan. Do you know if there are any trains from Ickenham?

The whole branch from Harrow to Uxbridge is closed so there will be no trains at Ickenham. I suppose the nearest by road will be the mainline stations at Denham and Gerrard's Cross. 

• Thanks 1

Booked my train.

After the horror of Moor Street to Marylebone last time I got the train to Wembley (the Fulham Play Off game) I've stuck to New Street to Euston. £34 return, not too shabby.

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Booked my train.

After the horror of Moor Street to Marylebone last time I got the train to Wembley (the Fulham Play Off game) I've stuck to New Street to Euston. £34 return, not too shabby.

Done euston last year was awful , literally rammed in with people trying to climb over each other to get on , hope its better this year , im driving for the first time because of it.

• Thanks 1

Chiltern's updated timetable doesn't look too clever - 2 trains per hour frequency and first train at half 8 ish?? 

i'm sure i was straight on a train at about 0715-0730 last year on a bank holiday monday so not sure why the service appears so much poorer this year? Unless i've got my timings from last year way off

7 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

I've looked at the underground - the Harrow line isn't totally shut - just from Uxbridge to Harrow, Harrow to Wembley looks fine.

Good luck with parking. Shutting the line further out will inevitably draw more people in.

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 11:37, meregreen said:

Prebooked Stanmore for £20 with NCP. Printed off parking voucher. Presumably they will reserve places for those who have prepaid. Normally come in from Ickenham on Metropolitan. Can’t believe some genius decided to close the line after Harrow.

I've done exactly the same. Hopefully be quite quick onto the M1 after the match.

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 13:35, The_Rev said:

hey've also built a massive new car park right by the stadium. I've not seen it used yet but it's looked finished for weeks so it might be getting its debut for the cup final. Pink Car Park if you want to Google it. It's got a massive picture of Freddy Mercury at Live Aid on one side too so it's pretty cool.  

I looked a couple of weeks ago and they were sold out. The also segregated the car parks by team, though not sure how they were planning on enforcing that. Pink was Man City IIRC.

On 24/02/2020 at 12:43, slowandlow said:

Chiltern's updated timetable doesn't look too clever - 2 trains per hour frequency and first train at half 8 ish?? 

i'm sure i was straight on a train at about 0715-0730 last year on a bank holiday monday so not sure why the service appears so much poorer this year? Unless i've got my timings from last year way off

Sunday innit? Monday is just a normal working day on the railway, Sunday isn't. Plus lots of staff at the Birmingham end are Villa and will be watching the game.

Obviously there will be people in, myself included, but you don't get loads of people volunteering for overtime when the football means you'll be bringing thousands of shitfaced football fans back home after the match.  

Gone for the coach, swore i never would again after the Play off Final against the woolies as it was like being on a sunshine coach day trip & boring as heck plus we had the most ignorant driver ever who kept doing weird things, taking wrong turns & then leaving us all sat at a services without saying a single word to anyone, disappearing and then about 40 minutes later a replacement driver appeared. We had all been just left there not knowing what was even going on! Awful & ruined the day tbh.

(Yes i' talking about YOU Zeelo coaches)

So i've checked around a bit this time & found a different company run by Villa fans so thought i'd give them a try. £32 pp but hey ho.

Didn't go for the train as found out there will be disruption to some lines on the day and no way was i driving this time as would be nice to notch a bevvy or two.

Edited by danceoftheshamen

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Just throwing it out there but it would have been a lot easier had this been at 2pm on a Saturday. But hey football isn't for the fans who actually turn up at the ground.

Exactly this, absolute farce two teams far north of London have to play 4.30pm on a Sunday in London. Even if they just moved the game to an earlier time would be better for all. As you say the fans dont matter anymore and havent done for years. 

• Like 1

On 22/02/2020 at 18:56, The_Rev said:

The whole branch from Harrow to Uxbridge is closed so there will be no trains at Ickenham. I suppose the nearest by road will be the mainline stations at Denham and Gerrard's Cross. 

This has seriously messed up my plans. Apparently they have replacement buses?

10:30pm flight out of JFK New York this evening with the wife and eldest daughter. Stopping in London for a couple of nights, and really hoping for another day like the last visit. Flight back from Heathrow on Monday.

A long trip, but you've got to make the most of these things. UTV

Plan to stock up on Cadbury Easter Eggs, Chocolate digestives, HP sauce and Bisto in between a few pub meals.

• Like 2

Â